Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mounts for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at the Kuda, kinda expensive and is pretty obvious on the dash when the gps unit is not present.
My first design was similar to the Kuda mount.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:11 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
For those who don't have the chrono pack, or any extra gauges on the side of their tach, I can offer the following as a VERY low cost alternative...

My particular GPS setup is an HP PDA with a Royaltek Blue Bluetooth antenna. The antenna simply sits on top of the dash with a little velcro. The PDA mount is simple & cheap.

I bought a Rhino Case for the PDA, a 3' section of 1.3" aluminum bar, and some longer screws than what already existed in the back of the tach (I did this 3 years back, but I believe I used #8 sheet metal screws, either 1.75 or 2 inches long). And a pencil & some JB Weld. You'll want a good C-clamp as well. Oh, and I got a package of plastic plumbing washers which were angle cut instead of flat. I'll explain that later... first 2 pics...

Step 1 is to remove your tach. Not difficult to do- takes 3 minutes. A few screws & one wiring connector that unplugs easily.

I started by bending my aluminum bar slowly, until it more or less matched the curve of the back of the tach. Then I cut it to a manageable length, about 8-9 inches. Don't cut it too short, or you'll have to start over.

Next is where the washers came in handy. Those angle-cut plastic plumbing washers... sort of look like the shape of a pie pan from the side... lay the tach face down & they settle right into the screw holes & act as a natural centering mechanism for your screws... put a drop of glue on the back of the washers... then place the aluminum bar over them, the washers instantly mark the spots to drill your screw holes in the aluminum bar. Ingenious, huh?

Next, remove the aluminum bar slowly, so as to let the washers stay in place. You can either wait for the glue to dry, or, since those washers are non-porous & tough to glue down, just mark your spots inside the washers, remove them, and get to drilling those 2 holes.

Next, dry fit your assembly. Keeping the tach face down, put those washers in place (they will now serve as vibration dampeners), screw the aluminum bar in place- be gentle, as you are screwing into plastic with those sheet metal screws. Gentle tightening is all you need.

If you bought a Rhino Case or similar, which covers your PDA, front and back, remove the front cover to that case. otherwise, you won't be able to see your PDA!!!

Go put the tach back in the car. Grab the back half of your Rhino Case (or whatever case/mount you want to use) and your PDA (or GPS unit, if using a self-contained GPS) and power cord. Plug the PDA or GPS unit in & slide it into your mount. Move the mount around until you find a position where the unit is easily visible thru the steering wheel, and DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER CONTROL STALK. You may want to have a friend helping you with this part...

Once you find the right spot, hold the PDA & its mount in place where you want it, and use a pencil to trace/mark the spot. If you are using a mount that will be screwed into your aluminum bar, mark the screw holes. If you will be using the JB Weld method, as I did, mark the back of the holder where it sits against the aluminum bar. Looking at the pics above will help visualize this.

If you have a grinding wheel or Dremel, now is the time to remove the aluminum bar from the tach & use a wire wheel to smooth any rough edges of that bar, then put it back on the tach.

Once again remove the tach assembly. If securing a mount with screws, proceed carefully & cut the excess length off those screws in back, so as not to hurt yourself or damage your interior.

If going for JB Weld, place your tach face down again & maneuver the PDA Holder into place. Make sure the auminum bar does not stick out too far beyond the end of your mount (again see above) for a nicer presentation.

Mix the 2 tubes of JB Weld, and apply liberally to the back of that Rhino Case, then maneuver the rhino Case into place on the aluminum bar. Here's where you need a C-clamp or two. Clamp the case onto the bar carefully, making sure it doesn't slide around. Feel free to remove any excess JB Weld that leaks out the sides. Now... let it sit overnight.

The process, up until now, should have taken only an hour or so of your time. Maybe 2 if you've never removed your tach, or are unfamiliar with JB Weld, etc.

In the morning, remove those clams, and your mount is ready to rock & roll. It'll be solid (Mine has held for 3 years, in 2 different MINIs) & easy to read, visible thru the spokes on the steering wheel. See below...

Side note... I also have the Euro parcel shelf, and I mounted a 12v power outlet tripler under there. My PDA & my antenna are plugged in to that unit in the parcel shelf.

Total cost, including the rhino Case, was under $20. Plus, I think I have about the best possible placement for my NAV- out of the way of the center console, easily viewable, and easily transferrable to another MINI. And the PDA slides right out & goes with me when I need it for other tasks.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:23 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is my TomTom One setup. I cut the supplied bracket and attached it to the MyMINI bracket. Works great, and it is right where it belongs, in my sight and easy to reach.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:58 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
But doesn't your neck get tired, tilting your head to the right all the time?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
lol no it's ok...

I installed it that way so that I can see it clearly through the steering wheel.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Even though I hate the looks of the godawful cupholder, I have gotten used to the function of it, and don't really want to get rid of it. Has anyone tried to mount their gps to the wire frame of the cupholder? I was thinking it should be pretty easy with a proclip base and some fender washers....

Has anyone tried this before I run down to the neighborhood hardware store?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Im sure it can be done without any issues. But my main concern would be that when you're inputting data (tapping the screen) with your finger, I can see the cup holder wanting to swiveling towards the glove box...Not to mention a little bouncy due to the fact that its now cantilevered off center.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by homerwest
Even though I hate the looks of the godawful cupholder, I have gotten used to the function of it, and don't really want to get rid of it. Has anyone tried to mount their gps to the wire frame of the cupholder? I was thinking it should be pretty easy with a proclip base and some fender washers....

Has anyone tried this before I run down to the neighborhood hardware store?

Thanks!
I agree!! See my post several entries below... I added pics.n You need to click this link to see the pics, though.
And to put Paulo's fears to rest, I have never had the cupholder move while using the Nuvi mounted there.

While I still prefer my preferred method, I do still ocassionally use that blessed cupholder method!
Originally Posted by zzMini
I have 2 sub-60 second solutions for mounting my Garmin Nuvi 350.

I did not want to drill or dismantle or velcro anything...

Quickest way:
Just pop it into the TOP ring of that godawful cup holder - it fits PERFECTLY, with enough grip that it does not pop out even on the twisties!
And boy is it easy! Convenient location, and you can just shove the power cable down in the back behind the lighter socket.

My preferred way (I dont live in CA)...
Suction mount in the lowest point possible on the driver's side lower left corner of the windsheild, then route the power cable down past the pillar, down, then nudge it in where the dash and the lower trim piece meet, al the way across under the steering columnm then back behind the pillars to the power outlet.
With just gentle nudging, it is virtually invisible, end easily reversible should you change your mind or need to pull the whole thing out to put it in another car. It's so easy to do...and really does not show. It really does not obstruct vision while driving at all.
It's positioned quite well for viewing and touching.

Oh yeah - I have also tried suctioning it to the Chrono panel, and the positioning is fine, but it doesn't seem to stay too long...suction loses it's grip, plus it does sorta block things you want to see.

Edited to add Pics...
(Sorry - 1 is blurry, but too cold in garage to go back down there!)
Also, pls excuse severe muddiness, but went driving through what I thought was spring thaw, with a few intrepid hikers, and we made a mess! :(

So 2 pics of my preferred method, and one of how it just fits perfectly in that lovely cupholder:

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
Thanks zz and Paul, but I was thinking about adding the GPS to the outside of the GCH (godawful cup holder) so that I could still place a bottle of water or latte in the GCH while the GPS stays mounted to it. Did that make sense? I am a bit concerned about the GCH moving during data input. I don't have the Nuvi yet to test how much pressure is required (It was ordered last week).

Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Thanks zz and Paul, but I was thinking about adding the GPS to the outside of the GCH (godawful cup holder) so that I could still place a bottle of water or latte in the GCH while the GPS stays mounted to it. Did that make sense? I am a bit concerned about the GCH moving during data input. I don't have the Nuvi yet to test how much pressure is required (It was ordered last week).
No pressure - it's touch sensitive...so no worries there.
I see that you are in CA, so window mount is not an option....
Just wait till it shows up and see what you think will work best.
You can always mount it by default inside the top ring until you figure it out.
Or have your copilot hold it at a pleasing angle!!

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I'm obviously biased.... but I still like my custom mount solution better than anything else I've seen. It was relatively easy, and it has been working GREAT for months now with NO downside that I can think of...

But I know that this is a very personal, subjective thing...

Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
The only downside I can see is the loss of the lovely GCH.... Otherwise it is a wonderfull looking installation! The Mrs likes her cupholder on a long trip.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
The only downside I can see is the loss of the lovely GCH.... Otherwise it is a wonderfull looking installation! The Mrs likes her cupholder on a long trip.
That's what the two MiniFini cupholders are for. And they work well. I can put one of those giant Chik-Fil-A cups in there and it clears the Nuvi... and they aren't as fugly as the GCH... IMHO.

Not the cheapest solution, but I think the best.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
I's so excited - my nuvi arrived this morning! Yes it does fit well in the top of the GCH, but I will get started tomorrow night on my custom mount on the side of the GCH. Mrs wants her cupholder handy for the big bottles of water.... The nuvi is awsome, but did make some pretty strange suggestions today while motoring. Love the Brittish voice!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Congrats!!
I prefer the Aussie voice myself...she's much friendlier!!
And the American just sounds far too exasperated when "recalculating"...

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
blalor
6th Gear
I'm using Blimey's solution for mounting my nuvi 370. I already had the Panavise bracket (which I've used for the Dension ice>Link: Plus iPod adapter, Garmin StreetPilot 2610 and generic cell-phone clamp holder), so I started hacking and slashing at it with my Dremel and drill last night. The part that the nuvi attaches to is slightly different as it has a microphone input for the speakerphone feature; the mic input is a bump on the back of the cradle. I started out last night just bolting the cradle to the Panavise bracket, but shifted down so that the mic input was below the bottom of the bracket. This will work, but it doesn't look that neat since half of the bracket shows above the cradle when the GPS isn't installed. I'm going to end up cutting away the lower right corner of the bracket so that the cradle will sit centered.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@OctaneGuy:

1. I am just going to be getting my Nuvi here in a few weeks. I don't have a mount to compare to your photos. Can you explain better why you needed 2 mounts? Is there any way to do it with just one?

2. How has the long-term durability of your solution been? I could see there being a lot of "slippage" on the smooth metal/plastic connection. I'd love to hear a follow-up!

(While I like some of the other ideas, I'm all for re-using the cupholder bracket now wasting space on a closet shelf.)

Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
He He He...

I finished up my hillbilly Nuvi mount last night (pictures will follow). I found a pull chain replacement for a ceiling fan at a hardware store last night, and the little brass ball at the end was about the same size as the ball on the end of the Garmin mount. I say about because it was about 1/32" too big. First, I drilled the hole all the way through, then chucked the little fella into the drill press and shaved off a bit with a metal file until it was the right size. Then it was a matter of adding a couple of fender washers with rubber washers, and bolted the whole assembly to the front of the GCH. It works great! I was nervous about vibrations since it is mounted out front of the GCH, but no problems, even on a rough road. When the Nuvi is in place, you can't see any of the rest of the hardware. Maybe when I have a moment, I will paint the fender washers black.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zzMini
Congrats!!
I prefer the Aussie voice myself...she's much friendlier!!
And the American just sounds far too exasperated when "recalculating"...
I'll give that a try ZZ! The female brittish voice sounds a bit peaved while recalculating also....

Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Ive had my TomTom co-pilot mounted next to the tach, but decided to get a ProClip instead... It is a better location and leaves room for another gauge next to the tach (probably oil pressure)

Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paulo500
Well, I finally got around to designing and fabricating my GPS mount. Took a few measurements from within my car, then came up with a small, inconspicuous mount using Solidworks. Looked pretty good on paper and i think it came out just the way I envisioned it to be in my Mini. The icing on the cake was the fact that we have a powdercoat paint line where I work.
Fits perfectly with a strip of automotive grade 2-way tape to secure it in place around the vent and a sliver on the dimmer button housing just to ensure there will be no rubbing. The fork design allows for a quick disconnect to put the unit in the case when I leave the car.
With the GPS installed, it happens to sit in a good location without having to take my hand off the wheel to use the screen.
Works like a charm and i still get full satellite reception. I just plug it in whenever it needs to be charged.

Installed and clean looking.

Side view, 4-way axis pivot.

Garmin mount can be left on the bracket or on the gps in the carry case. Either way its hardly noticeable. (looks like a cellphone mount).

Tried to keep the design simple.
Originally Posted by paulo500
I looked at the Kuda, kinda expensive and is pretty obvious on the dash when the gps unit is not present.
My first design was similar to the Kuda mount.
I agree with you paulo500, I don't like the "arm" of the kuda that mounts on top. I actually like the mount you fabricated. I like the minimal look and the position of the Nav. If it can be slightly modded to work with the Garmin Nuvi 360, that'd be nice. Any thoughts on making more?

Last edited by Scavenger; 05-27-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: cleaned up
Old 05-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Ministi2005
3rd Gear
ProClip mount -- which required dumping the cup holder (and getting a mini-fini one instead). Expensive proposition all around. Very happy with the result though.

Attached Thumbnails Mounts for GPS-dscn2313.jpg  

Last edited by Ministi2005; 05-28-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Better picture.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
MirthScout
3rd Gear
Kuda makes a mount for the Nuvi 350/360. Right up at dash level where you don't have to move your eyes away from the road by much.

Attached Thumbnails Mounts for GPS-assembled.jpg   Mounts for GPS-cradle_attached.jpg   Mounts for GPS-drivers_view.jpg  
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ministi2005
ProClip mount -- which required dumping the cup holder (and getting a mini-fini one instead). Expensive proposition all around. Very happy with the result though.
Hey, you've got your Schroth harnesses mis-routed; they're supposed to go *under* the headrest!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Ministi2005
3rd Gear
You mean *in between* the two headrest posts? lol

I'lll have to get harness pads if I do that!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Mounts for GPS