Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio IceLink install working great but... static? loss of Setup menu

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 PM
scatpack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IceLink install working great but... static? loss of Setup menu

I seem to remember messages about "static" on the IceLink plus because of a bad ground link in the wiring.

I installed my IceLInk Plus today and Im not sure if what im hearing is the "static"... what I get is a quiet almost "modem" type noise in between tracks (no music playing). Is this the static.. or something else?

Second question:

I have the unit working pretty well. Install was fairly simple. I was able to turn on the ID tags by selecting TEXT in the icelink setup menu and it works fine. But for some reason, im not able to get back to the Setup menu anymore by hitting CD6. Anyone else have this problem and find a fix for it? Hitting CD4 brings up the RANDOM selector (ALL, Artist, ETC) Did I accidently switch things around? Neither CD4 or CD6 brings up the the SETUP menu on teh Ipod screen anymore. (nor cd1-2-3-5 etc)

Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
trick
3rd Gear
I'm trying to deal with the same thing here.

Any advice on getting the setup menu back? It worked gloriously the first time I conntected—with the radio out and propped up on the stick.

Navigated using the radio, enabled text. Outstanding.

Next time I connected all I get is "CD check" on hitting 6 and the ID3 display has gone away.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
icelink install

Hey - I just installed yesterday. In text mode you have to use >> and wait a few seconds - should show up on HU display - press >> again to move to next menu selection. Hold >> to select or change. Go "no text" and menu should display back on Ipod with use of #6 after unplug and replug.

BUT... I specifically asked Dension if there were any issues with the 05 Nav
and they assured me that there weren't. Be forewarned that it will display on the NAV screen and will disable Nav sound. Can hardly wait until Monday morning I'm gonna have me a sales rep for breakfast

BTW mine plugs directly into the headunit not the CD changer harness - but I don't think that makes a difference

Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 PM
trick
3rd Gear
Thanks. But I get how it should work.

My problem is that on pressing 6, I get "CD Check" on the HU and no change on the Dension UI on the iPod. The iPod just keeps showing the song that was playing when I pressed 6. It never switches to the Set up menu where I could navigate.

I pulled it back out of the car and I'm sending it back. I suspect I have a bad unit since I had speakers cutting in and out when attached to the IL+ harness but not when plugged directly into the HU.

I'll probably ask for a trunk mount in return.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Sam
4th Gear
How it works

Originally Posted by trick
Thanks. But I get how it should work.

My problem is that on pressing 6, I get "CD Check" on the HU and no change on the Dension UI on the iPod. The iPod just keeps showing the song that was playing when I pressed 6. It never switches to the Set up menu where I could navigate.

I pulled it back out of the car and I'm sending it back. I suspect I have a bad unit since I had speakers cutting in and out when attached to the IL+ harness but not when plugged directly into the HU.

I'll probably ask for a trunk mount in return.
Apparently I didn't explain clearly

After you select "display text" - pressing the 6 button *only* display "CD Check" - Navigating the menu is *only* possible by using the ">>" button.
Writing technical operation instructions is an art form - I'm not a master - I guess not surrounding >> with quotes caused you confusion

Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 AM
trick
3rd Gear
Thanks. I'm loathe to go back into that dash again and I hate techinical writing

But to make it clear (or try to):

Text display is not taking place on the HU anymore—I never turned it off it just stopped working. I just get TR-XX on the HU. iPod shows the Dension Interface (DI) with the song that's being played, etc.

Pressing 6 momentarily displays "CD Check" on the HU and effects no change whatsoever to the the iPod display, it still just features the song being played.

Am I right in assuming that if no tags are appearing on the HU that I should be seeing these changes on the iPod? Maybe that's where I jumped the shark.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
The secret is.. hold the PRINTED menu instructions as you try to get thru the menu.

The HU menu is hard to follow since it is ONE LINE at a time. It sounds like you have the TEXT on HU turned off right now.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Thanks. I'm loathe to go back into that dash again and I hate techinical writing

But to make it clear (or try to):

Text display is not taking place on the HU anymore—I never turned it off it just stopped working. I just get TR-XX on the HU. iPod shows the Dension Interface (DI) with the song that's being played, etc.

Pressing 6 momentarily displays "CD Check" on the HU and effects no change whatsoever to the the iPod display, it still just features the song being played.

Am I right in assuming that if no tags are appearing on the HU that I should be seeing these changes on the iPod? Maybe that's where I jumped the shark.
The speakers cutting out you mentioned earlier may be due to the wiring harness from the car not being seated properly in the Ice link wiring harness that plugs in between the car wiring and the radio. I had to press the car's wiring into the female side of the new harness pretty hard until it seated flush otherwise the speakers would cut out.

As for the lost text display, I'm no ice link expert but I had version 2.07 and put a newer radio in so I could get text display but it didn't work initially when I updated from 2.07 to firmware 2.B2. MINI-stir here on NAM was able to help me. There is an mp3 called "no text" in the 2.B2 download. I loaded it on my ipod, found this file on the ipod and hit play then immediately hooked it up to the ice link. This caused the menu to appear on the Ipod and I went through the text setup from there using the icelink_plus_bmw_edition_firmware_manual.pdf that downloaded with the 2.B2 firmware. Again, not sure if this will help you but it helped me in what sounds like a similar situation.

Dension could do a lot better by writing clear instructions and actually including some troubleshooting info. When I've called them I keep getting some guy whose idea of troubleshooting is to pull the radio fuses for a couple minutes then try again. He said if that didn't work I should return the ice link and they'd send a new one. I guess he needs some training. Thankfully NAM is here to help!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 AM
trick
3rd Gear
Thanks Buckeye! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Well, I had the same poorly seated static problems, so I switched to a trunk solution (which required the use of my old IceLink 1.1... i had the trunk connection with that... evidently some of the wiring is different). Found the harness and decided to give the radio connection another shot. I managed to get a "good" connection, but the iceLink no longer takes control of my iPod (i cannot even control it with my steering wheel/radio controls). Is this similar to the problems you guys are experiencing?

Old 02-04-2006, 01:46 PM
trick
3rd Gear
So the Icelink is installed, I think I really have a bad unit.

I was able to resolve the speakers cutting in and out by using a wire tie to seat the connector a little better. No happy about it, but it works.

Here's the rest of the story regarding text on the HU.

Using the "No Text____________07=00" file that Buckeye mentioned I was able to regain the Dension Interface on the iPod. Everything works great that way. But since I opted out of the cradle, lets see if I can text on the HU.

Nope. I hit 6, the menu comes up on the iPod, now keep in mind that my menu doesn't match the docs that came with my IceLink or what was downloaded along with the 2.b1 update. Weird.

One in the menu, work my way to Setup. Get into there and work my way to Text Selector. Activate that, get a message that says to follow instructions on my radio.

Fine, but they never show up and now the iPod isn't responding to the radio buttons any longer. It stays in this state until I unplug and run the "No Text. . ." file again.

Guess I'll be on the phone with Dension come Monday. Good news is that their harness and everything is tucked behind the driver's knee bolster so I hope I can just swap that BMW specific part out.

BTW I tried this with both my 4G 40Gig and a brand new 4g nano. Same results. (But I knew my firmware was current in the 40G

At least it sounds good and charges. . .

Old 02-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
So the Icelink is installed, I think I really have a bad unit.

I was able to resolve the speakers cutting in and out by using a wire tie to seat the connector a little better. No happy about it, but it works.

Here's the rest of the story regarding text on the HU.

Using the "No Text____________07=00" file that Buckeye mentioned I was able to regain the Dension Interface on the iPod. Everything works great that way. But since I opted out of the cradle, lets see if I can text on the HU.

Nope. I hit 6, the menu comes up on the iPod, now keep in mind that my menu doesn't match the docs that came with my IceLink or what was downloaded along with the 2.b1 update. Weird.

One in the menu, work my way to Setup. Get into there and work my way to Text Selector. Activate that, get a message that says to follow instructions on my radio.

Fine, but they never show up and now the iPod isn't responding to the radio buttons any longer. It stays in this state until I unplug and run the "No Text. . ." file again.

Guess I'll be on the phone with Dension come Monday. Good news is that their harness and everything is tucked behind the driver's knee bolster so I hope I can just swap that BMW specific part out.

BTW I tried this with both my 4G 40Gig and a brand new 4g nano. Same results. (But I knew my firmware was current in the 40G

At least it sounds good and charges. . .
I doubt this helps but I'm using the 2.b2 firmware from Dension's site. I didn't try it with the 2.b1 because you can't download it any more from Dension's site.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:03 PM
trick
3rd Gear
Miskeyed. It was 2b2

Old 02-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Oh well, sounds like your unit must be bad. Hopefully Dension can figure it out in a timely manner.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:28 AM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
Ipod Blues

Aaaaaaaargh!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 AM
GaryD
Neutral
I have the same problem with Dension. Was sold a unit for an HK equipped 05 Mini with nav. Did not have time to do this myself so my wife took it to Tweeter who installed it. Then the nav system was muted but the nav lady was gone when commands were due. Also the IPOD played but no ID3 tags on the head unit. I phoned Dension - they sent me a replacement part. We then paid Tweeter to take it apart and put that in... This time the IPOD did not play either and Tweeter tried one of their IPODs and it did not work either. Going to have to call Dension and return both parts but I am pissed cos I am out $200 in labor. I am extremely pissed that they wasted my time and money sending a replacement part when they had not tested the system in this car with this set up. It should not have been sold me in the first place but sending a replacement part on what amounts to a flat out guess when they knew I was paying a third party to do the install is ridiculous.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:14 AM
trick
3rd Gear
At least they return your calls. I've called twice, and got the "Our tech is busy doing installs, he'll call you back."

Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
GaryD
Neutral
I have the same problem with Dension. Was sold a unit for an HK equipped 05 Mini with nav. Did not have time to do this myself so my wife took it to Tweeter who installed it. Then the nav system was muted but the nav lady was gone when commands were due. Also the IPOD played but no ID3 tags on the head unit. I phoned Dension - they sent me a replacement part. We then paid Tweeter to take it apart and put that in... This time the IPOD did not play either and Tweeter tried one of their IPODs and it did not work either. Going to have to call Dension and return both parts but I am pissed cos I am out $200 in labor. I am extremely pissed that they wasted my time and money sending a replacement part when they had not tested the system in this car with this set up. It should not have been sold me in the first place but sending a replacement part on what amounts to a flat out guess when they knew I was paying a third party to do the install is ridiculous.