Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SPEAKERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 04:31 PM
SPYDERMAZE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I TAKE DELIVERY IN JAN. 2003. I AM BUYING A NEW SYSTEM NOW. I NEED TO KNOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SIZES OF THE SPEAKERS IN THE DOORS AND THE REAR. AND ARE THEY COMPONENT (MEANING SEPRATE TWEETERS AND MIDS). THANKS

Old 07-07-2002, 06:25 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the rears replaced yesterday ... the old ones are 6x9s and are a single unit (no tweeter and no good sound!)
In the doors are separates - I think that the fronts might be 5-1/2"? They now need replacing too ... they sounded good compared to factory rears, but terrible compared to the replacement MQ Quarts.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:26 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS:
Why buy now? Surely you might regret newer and greater features coming out in the next six months?

Old 07-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Lee
Neutral
well it is hard to believe 5 1/2 i think either 5 1/4 or 6/12 or 6 and the best speakers to buy are focal or a little cheaper head for eclipse

Old 07-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Mikey8629
1st Gear
The front speakers are 5 and 1/4 inches, and they are components. The tweeters are just standard tweeter size. The rear speakers a generic 6x9's, although I recommend replacing them with 2-ways (so you can get some quality high treble in there). I get my MINI S before August, and I have a pair of Oz components that should sound amazing! They are about the same cost as the focals, and of comparable quality. If you opt for great speakers though, you should definetly replace the head unit as well- if you want to go the whole 9 yards, amp it too! The MINI is small and has great acoustics, so you probably won't even need the amp. Have fun!

Old 07-17-2002, 05:56 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Check-out the installations in the Modified Minis Gallery, Sweet!

Old 09-02-2002, 08:42 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just days away from acquiring my MCS. Which is great in iteslf. One thing though that I neglected to check into on my test drive awhile back was the stereo sound for the 6speaker set up. The HK wasn't available to have ordered at the time. So by looking at the previous posts, it appears that there's 5-1/4 speakers for the front, and 6x9's for the rear???
Looking at some repacements, but am unsure. Guess I'll have to wait until I actually hear what it sounds like first. Have a few other mods on the go, so I'm figuring out which to put in first.
Can anyone who ripped out all the stock speakers, tell me what wattage each of the two different sizes of the speakers are pumping out? Just want to know what I'm dealing with here.
It's kind of a toss up right now as to whether to go with performance mods for right now(after the break-in of coarse), or to go with stereo upgrades.
Thanx all. Cheers,

Old 09-04-2002, 07:49 PM
DiamondRG
1st Gear
You are correct on the sizes. If you goto Crutchfield.com, you can input your MINI and see what speakers will fit without modifications. Check out the web site of Normalizer below, he took some great pics of his speaker install, as well as pics of the factory speakers. When you get to his site, click on Stereo and George Jones.

:smile: Normalizer

Old 09-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Shaguar1
1st Gear
Does anyone know if the O.E. head unit has line outputs so I could go to self powered speakers? (or a component amp using the O.E. Head) ????

Old 09-05-2002, 05:22 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>You are correct on the sizes. If you goto Crutchfield.com, you can input your MINI and see what speakers will fit without modifications. Check out the web site of Normalizer below, he took some great pics of his speaker install, as well as pics of the factory speakers. When you get to his site, click on Stereo and George Jones.
>>
>> :smile: Normalizer

So I guess judging by those pics from the site that you provided, we're looking at 15w per channel. Ouch!! That's pathetic. So it looks like I'm on the hunt for some upgrades in the stereo area. I'll be blowing those stock speakers in no time. Thanx for the help Diamond.

Old 09-05-2002, 07:18 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
I have had my DS S for just a month and have enjoyed it but the sound system sounds weak especially with the roof open on the highway. Here is my question... Has any one just changed the speakers and if you have has that made a big difference in the sound? I'm thinking of replacing factory speakers with MB Quarts.

Dark silver S, with DS roof, premium & cold weather packages, all items in sports package except xenons, Blue Lapis leather.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:20 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>I have had my DS S for just a month and have enjoyed it but the sound system sounds weak especially with the roof open on the highway. Here is my question... Has any one just changed the speakers and if you have has that made a big difference in the sound? I'm thinking of replacing factory speakers with MB Quarts.
>>

In all probability, it would sound worse. The MBQ's require more power than your stock, paper speakers do. As someone mentioned earlier, the stock headunit is ony putting out around 15w per channel...and who knows if that's even RMS. Yikes! The only way you are going to get better sound is replace the headunit and the speakers...and throw in some amps!

I'm only days away from my DS S delivery (weds 9-11...hope that's not a sign!! Should have the install going by late next week and am shooting for a completion by end of September. I'll definitely be posting pics of the install, fiberglass enclosure build and final product soon. Stay tuned. Ha.

R

Old 09-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Bowen
Neutral
I'm just wondered if anyone noticed how deep the speaker opening are? I want to put Alpine R Type speakers in my mc s, but I know they are pretty big speakers and I'm afraid they won't fit.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Neptune
Neutral
They will fit don't worry. I bought the ALPINE SPR-176A. The door depth is 3.5, the speakers are 2.75 so...
Check out the test report at www. Caraudiomag.com

Old 09-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>I TAKE DELIVERY IN JAN. 2003. I AM BUYING A NEW SYSTEM NOW.

I'd take it easy on the new system... it looks like you already have hearing damage... :smile:

Rocketboy_X

Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 PM
aoh
Neutral
From looking at the rear, it seems like you have to remove the entire side panel (all the way to the boot) to get access to the rear speakers. May even have to remove the rear seats ? Can anyone tell me if that' the case ?

Old 10-03-2002, 04:09 PM
jlm
6th Gear
crutchfield was of no use; their site only found eleven 1" tweeters for component speakers for the 02 mini; when i called, they had the same answer, claiming the doors were only 1-3/4" deep, so no speakers would fit. also, one poster is using the SPR176 alpine for the doors, but tisn't that is much larger than the 5-1/4" opening for the front???

Old 10-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Entire rear panel must be removed to access 6x9s. Yes, the seats must be removed.

As for what fits, Crutchfield is correct. Without adding an adapting mounting ring, there is not enough depth to mount most components.

I got some nice plastic mounting rings from a MINI2 forum member, mikeythemini. Here is a link to a thread he's posted on so you can contact him. I got my headunit wiring harness and the adapter rings shipped to USA for 25 pounds.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=14378

R

Old 10-04-2002, 08:45 AM
davertrees
1st Gear
I have investigated the front speaker situation on my own Cooper S, and found that the OEM speakers have a built in offset, that pushes the bezel outward from the door and inch or so. My plan is to use an aluminum spacer to install 6.5 in mids at the same measurement away from the door. The spacer will be 7 inch OD with a 5.5 inch ID. These dimensions will allow the 6.5's to fit with no problem. And believe me, the 6.5 inch mids will have a lot more mid-bass response than the 5.25's. These spacers could be made of plexiglass or even plywood if cost were and issue. I think the extra work will be well worth it.
Good Luck,
DV

Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
joeynp
1st Gear
You dont have to worry much about the door depth..
I originally bought a set of Rockford FNQ 5 1/4" components...
The magnets on those babies are probably just as big as the Alpine Type R's... if not bigger....
When installing, I noticed that I could even fit the Rockord 6.5" components.... so I did... I returned the 5 1/4" and bought a set of 6.5"... and they fit fine... you will just need a spacer in between...thats all..
As long as you (or your installer) knows how to cut an ugly piece of wood to mount the component woofers... you will be ok EVEN with 6.5"!

Pics to come very very soon!

Old 11-02-2002, 03:11 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
I've been somewhat confused by, the reports in this thread. I've seen the door depth listed as 1.75" and as 3.5". Which measurement is correct?

Also, does adding the spacer for deeper speakers make them stand way out from the door? Can you see the edge of the spacer? I saw Normalizer's site, where he has pictures of his installed 6.5"s, which still retain the stock grills and appearance. However I didn't see any mention of spacers. What's the deal?

Old 11-02-2002, 03:25 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
<bonz>Has any one just changed the speakers and if you have has that made a big difference in the sound? I'm thinking of replacing factory speakers with MB Quarts.<

<davbret>In all probability, it would sound worse. The MBQ's require more power than your stock, paper speakers do. As someone mentioned earlier, the stock headunit is ony putting out around 15w per channel...and who knows if that's even RMS. Yikes! The only way you are going to get better sound is replace the headunit and the speakers...and throw in some amps!<

Don't despair, 15watts/channel RMS (I checked this with askMINI) is not as bad as it might seem, and if you're like me, then you probably don't need to go and replace the whole system. My goal for a front speaker upgrade is to moderately improve bass extension and volume over the stock setup. So, I am looking for front component speakers with a high efficiency rating, and a low frequency extension (90+db and >=40hz)

I think that davbret is right about the MB Quarts, as they aren't very efficient (87db, I think). Can anyone suggest a good pair of speakers that meets my requirements?

-Soopa

Old 11-11-2002, 04:15 PM
schwando
Neutral
I USED JL AUDIO VR SERIES THE FRONTS ARE 6.5 WITH SEPERATE TWEETERS AND THE REAR ARE 6/9,S

Old 11-12-2002, 06:49 AM
ADVANTAGE
2nd Gear
JUST REPLACED ENTIRE AUDIO SYSTEW. WAS ABLE TO BUILD FIBERGLASS ENCLOSURES FOR BOTH DOORS AS WELL AS REAR PANNELS. LOOKED AT ALL OPTIONS, DECIDED ON 6.5 ALL A ROUND. SPACERS CAN BE ORDERED TO ACCOMIDATE 5.5 INCH IN FRONT TO CONVERT TO6.5 INCH AT MOST HIGH END STEREO SHOPS. JUST A NOTE I WANTED SOME REAL BASS BUT DID NOT WANT TO CUT, OR LOOSE SPACE. CHOOSE SOME FOCAL 5WS 5" SUBS,BUILT A BOX THAT RESTS IN THE TOP LEDGE UNDER THE COVER THAT LIFTS UP WHEN YOU OPEN THE BOOT. I AM THEN ABLE TO REMOVE THE BOX AND PLACE IT FORWARD WHEN THE SEATS ARE DOWN. ANY QUESTIONS OR PICTURES PLEASE E-MAIL

Old 11-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Maybe I'm insane, but I think the stereo is pretty good for a stock unit, I'd rather spend my money prepping Sprog for racing...

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio SPEAKERS