Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SPEAKERS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Maybe I'm insane, but I think the stereo is pretty good for a stock unit, I'd rather spend my money prepping Sprog for racing...

You're insane.

R

Old 11-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
ADVANTAGE wrote:
>>ANY QUESTIONS OR PICTURES PLEASE E-MAIL

PICTURES!!!!!! WE WANT PICTURES!!!!! Or at least I do!

R

Old 11-12-2002, 02:52 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
>>>>I TAKE DELIVERY IN JAN. 2003. I AM BUYING A NEW SYSTEM NOW.
>>
>>I'd take it easy on the new system... it looks like you already have hearing damage... :smile:
>>
>>Rocketboy_X

I think you need to take Rocketboy_X's advice too, Advantange. :smile:

Seriously though, post the pics!

Old 11-12-2002, 06:24 PM
ADVANTAGE
2nd Gear
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR SPEEKERS LOOK FOCAL ADDRESS http://www.FOCAL.TM.FR LOOK AT SPECS FOR POLY KEVLAR 165. THEN LOOK AT SUBS 5WS, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. DIDN'T BUILD MY SYSTEM FOR VOLUME BUT FOR PERFICT SOUND. ADVANTAGE.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 PM
joeynp
1st Gear
Here are my 6.5" rockfords... lemme know if you want more pix

Old 11-16-2002, 10:06 PM
joeynp
1st Gear
>>DO YOURSELF A FAVOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR SPEEKERS LOOK FOCAL ADDRESS http://www.FOCAL.TM.FR LOOK AT SPECS FOR POLY KEVLAR 165. THEN LOOK AT SUBS 5WS, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. DIDN'T BUILD MY SYSTEM FOR VOLUME BUT FOR PERFICT SOUND. ADVANTAGE.
>>

I'd like to see your install pix, Advantage!
I wanted Focal, but cudnt afford it! The Rockford FNQ components give off awesome sound! Turn it up as loud as you want and its still crystal clear.... but from what I hear, the Focals are da bomb!

Old 11-25-2002, 04:31 PM
urgo
1st Gear
Has anyone tried the Polk/Momo speakers for a Mini yet? I believe their component's are 6 1/4. They would match quite well to my interior.

Old 12-03-2003, 11:29 PM
minijedi
Neutral
I just got the Polk Momo 6.5" Separates and will be installing within the next couple weeks. I am still waiting for my Kenwood KDC-X859 Deck and KAC-X650D Amp to be delivered.

The grills are brushed Aluminum and look very much like stock but Way cooler.

I will let you all know how they sound. And will post pics.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:43 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been slowly replacing the speakers this weekend. Put 6x9 Infinity Kappa 692.5i's in the rear and those alone improved the sound. I am running them alone now until tommorrowand the difference from the stock units is significant. Also used some good fiberglass insulation in the back deck behind this speaker and the bass is solid and some rattles are even gone.

Tomorrow, will be installing a set of Infinity 6000cs 6 1/2" components in the doors. Would have done it today but, was running out of sunlight and need to fabricate some wood spacers for the midrange/woofer. Plan to replace the stock grilles on the midrange with the Infinity ones. They look nicer and seem to be tougher. People always kick that damn grill by their feet.

Will take some pics once it is done.

Those Infinity's have great sensitivity rating, good frequency response range and can be had for a song on Ebay ... about half of what Crutchfiled has them for. All speakers, fibergalss insulation and some sound deadening tape insulation (Dynamat alternative ) ... all for about $250!!!

Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Well finished the install with the front components and all went well. Everything is stok on the grilles. Could not replace the door woofer grill wihout doing too much damage on the door panel, so I left everything stock.

The small metal grill on the Infinity tweeter had to be removed as well. The MINI tweeter cover/door handle cover would not fit over it.

But all worked out well. Sound is crystal clear, at least for what I need it for. Might get an amp later to get the most of the speakers but for now it works well. And gutting the car was a good experience to get to know it's innards better

The key is definetelly to get speakers with good sensitivity, 90db or higher.

Some pics of the door install (including that wood spacer) are here:
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/gallery_2168.html

If you have any questions ... fire away.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>Well finished the install with the front components and all went well. Everything is stok on the grilles. Could not replace the door woofer grill wihout doing too much damage on the door panel, so I left everything stock.
>>

lurch70,
Great install and nice pictures. Kappa speakers are good and will work for you. Good sensitivity is a must.
You can run it without adding power for now but for component front speakers you will need a separate amp to make the best sound for those Kappas. Ample clean power will be worth the cost later. You can run the rear speakers off of the amp built in to the head unit- that is less of an issue unless you are really into a balanced sound stage.

>>The small metal grill on the Infinity tweeter had to be removed as well. The MINI tweeter cover/door handle cover would not fit over it.

The component tweeters will vary in size and many of the smaller 3/4 inch speakers will fit in the door and not require removal of the tweeter cover. What about a picture of the interior view of the door once you got done?
Many of the better tweeters are 1 inch and don't really fit easily.

>>But all worked out well. Sound is crystal clear, at least for what I need it for. Might get an amp later to get the most of the speakers but for now it works well. And gutting the car was a good experience to get to know it's innards better

Sound is likely good with the engine off. But if you ever add a loud cat-back exhaust then forget it. You WILL need an amp. If you want a good exhaust without the noise think Milltek sport or Borla street otherwise stay with the stock exhaust. The other thing missing and you will notice it with some music selections is big bass and a subwoofer with amp but that is a whole new ballgame. You loose space and there is much more cost. For now your rear speakers can provide some bass as can your front woofers but they will get overworked if you crank up the volume too much (like me).

>>The key is definetelly to get speakers with good sensitivity, 90db or higher.

Absolutely. The stock speakers are quite good at about 91db. Better than you think.

>>Some pics of the door install (including that wood spacer) are here:
>>http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/gallery_2168.html

The front speaker spacer is a must. Not only do you have to find a way to mount the speaker into the door it brings the speaker towards the interior of the car and closer to the grill. It doesn't have to be fancy- just functional.

Overall door with inner panel off

Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Overall- great work. How about a final picture of the door from the inside of the MINI??
Thanks!!!

Well the picture with the door cover on, would look like anyother picture of a door.
The look is absolutely stock and you cannot tell that I was ever there.

Even the annoying buzzes that were coming from the doors before are gone.