Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 2005 Nav + HK + OEM iPod Adapter + Aux Input = Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
nguillen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Nav + HK + OEM iPod Adapter + Aux Input = Possible?

Does anyone have all of these installed in a 2005 MINI:
- Nav
- HK
- OEM iPod Adapter
- Aux Input

The first dealer I went to said the Nav and iPod adapter don't mix. But, the second dealer that I ordered from said that they do, but that I can't get them together with the Aux input. However, on the MINI USA build-your-own site, you can have all of these together. I also don't know if HK is relevant to compatibility with these.

Right now I have Nav + HK + iPod Adapter on order (which I don't have 100% confidence will work), and I'd like to add Aux input so when I have a passenger he (or preferably she ) can control my iPod from the iPod itself.

I've gotten and read conflicting reports, and am hoping to find someone who tried to install all of these on a 2005 MINI and definitively succeeded or failed. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Marc@Blitzsafe
2nd Gear
Yes, you can have the aux input and the OEM Ipod interface with Nav equipped vehicles. If you wanted XM, you can connect the Ipod interface inline with our XM Direct. Our BMW/XM SLD I offers the connection for the OEM Ipod interface. Using this interface, you would not have to remove the headunit from the dash.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
minimonkey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nguillen
Does anyone have all of these installed in a 2005 MINI:
- Nav
- HK
- OEM iPod Adapter
- Aux Input

The first dealer I went to said the Nav and iPod adapter don't mix.
I have everything mentioned above - except the Aux Input - which you don't need if you buy the iPod Adapter. But YES - the iPod Adapter, with the Nav, HK stereo - the all work just fine together.

When mine was on order I had the same question. Not all dealers have the right info. FYI - if you put an order together on the Mini USA web site. The site won't let you put anything together that won't work together.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:25 AM
dmeyer
3rd Gear
Not to threadjack but I am still tryting to find info on whether the Nav can work with aftermarket head units....

Old 05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
nguillen
1st Gear
Thanks, but I'd still like to find someone who has Nav + iPod Adapter + Aux installed and coexisting peacefully. I'd like the Aux in addition to the iPod adapter so I can use the iPod controls when I want to or plug in friends' non-iPod mp3 players. I don't mean to doubt anyone, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there so I'd love to hear from someone who's actually done it. It's kind of annoying that dealers don't know about their own products - maybe this is the fault of MINI USA for not educating them properly.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
That would be good info to know. I've got Nav/HK/Aux. Considering the Ipod, but like you say, sometimes I want full control vs. just playlists.

I wouldn't be TOO hard on the dealer on this one - they focus on selling cars, not mobile entertainment systems, and all the options are truly dizzying.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM
nguillen
1st Gear
Eric, I disagree. I don't think it's too much to ask to get an accurate answer from a dealer about their own accessories. However, overall the buying experience at my dealer has been great, so I don't hold this minor issue against them.

That said, I called ASK-MINI and a customer rep is going to research the issue and call me back, which is very cool. I will let everyone know what he says.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dealers generally don't know jack.

The only conflict with any combination is between the CD Changer and the iPod adaptor. Anything else is fair game.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
nguillen
1st Gear
Looks like I was too harsh on my dealer - you can only have EITHER the iPod Adapter or the Aux Input. According to the MINI customer service rep, whether you have Navigation or HK is irrelevant, it's just that the iPod Adapter and Aux are mutually exclusive. Unless someone has proved MINI USA wrong and installed them together on their car, I guess I'll only be getting the iPod adapter.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
davn8r
3rd Gear
nguillen, I've got three out of the four (iPod, aux and H/K)...

I was initially told that I couldn't have the iPod and the aux jack, because "both have to go in the same spot". Of course, that's not correct, but I wonder if that faulty assumption accounts for the negative input you received.

I opted to put the aux in my Euro Parcel Shelf rather than someplace like the glovebox (where the iPod adapter is), because if I'm using another iPod, my Sirius adapter, or who knows what else, the shelf is a great place to store the device, and it's less hassle to access it than if it were over in the glovebox. I can't help you on the Nav compatibility though... sorry. Good luck with MINI USA. I bet you'll get what you need. I'm curious to know the answer myself!

Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM
nguillen
1st Gear
davn8r, that's awesome!!!

It looks like my dealer had misinformation because MINI USA had misinformation. If you actually have them installed together, I'd say that settles it (unless MINI USA is wrong about the Nav not figuring into compatibility - doh!). Does anyone have all 4?

Old 05-20-2005, 01:57 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by davn8r
nguillen, I've got three out of the four (iPod, aux and H/K)...

I was initially told that I couldn't have the iPod and the aux jack, because "both have to go in the same spot". Of course, that's not correct, but I wonder if that faulty assumption accounts for the negative input you received.

I opted to put the aux in my Euro Parcel Shelf rather than someplace like the glovebox (where the iPod adapter is), because if I'm using another iPod, my Sirius adapter, or who knows what else, the shelf is a great place to store the device, and it's less hassle to access it than if it were over in the glovebox. I can't help you on the Nav compatibility though... sorry. Good luck with MINI USA. I bet you'll get what you need. I'm curious to know the answer myself!
The NAV audio goes into the port where the Aux input would be. That was what I was told months ago. So what he's saying above is true... but the Nav changes all that.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
davn8r
3rd Gear
MiniMonkey's info certainly trumps mine... sorry!

If you do end up doubling up on the iPod & Aux Jack, though, I'd strongly recommend this:

Very, very convenient!

Old 05-20-2005, 02:20 PM
nguillen
1st Gear
Does anyone else find this thread absurd? MINI should issue official spec sheets for their electronic options/accessories with any incompatibilities listed.

Nice photo, btw. I like your setup.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
It just sucks that there is so much wrong information people get from MINI, their dealer, service or whatever - and then come on here innocntly spread that misinformation here.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: 2005 Nav + HK + OEM iPod Adapter + Aux Input = Possible?

I'm with MINI USA. NAV, Ipod, HK, and Aux components are all compatible on a 2005 model. However, Ipod is not compatible with the 6-disc CD changer, Sirius Satellite radio, or hands-free phone. Also, NAV is not compatible with Sirius Satellite radio. If you or your dealer need our assistance, please phone us at 866 ASK.MINI and mention Reference # 200514700305 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:08 AM
nguillen
1st Gear
Thanks!!!

Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 AM
C4
Banned
Are there plans to develop and adaptor that would allow the use of the MINI iPod connector and say the AUX input jack at the same time? This would allow the use of Satellite radio for instance.

Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I'm with MINI USA. NAV, Ipod, HK, and Aux components are all compatible on a 2005 model. However, Ipod is not compatible with the 6-disc CD changer, Sirius Satellite radio, or hands-free phone. Also, NAV is not compatible with Sirius Satellite radio. If you or your dealer need our assistance, please phone us at 866 ASK.MINI and mention Reference # 200514700305 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Call
4th Gear
'05 Nav + whatever

I have '05 MCS with HU that includes HK, XM, no cd changer. Dealer said I could install IPOD adapter with no problem. So I let them do it. After installation they couldn't get it to work so they ask me which did I want to get rid of the IPOD adapter, the Nav or XM. I said to replace the IPOD adapter with an AUX adapter. Now I have a 3-way splitter connected to IPOD, DVD, PSP or whatever else I want. I can control the audio from the steering wheel. Each has its own controls otherwise which is just fine. I thought this would be a hassle but it isn't. Just an added thought, I installed the LCD as a clipon over the rearview mirror. The DVD kit came with a rearview camera as well and it works when the shift is in reverse. I love it.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:20 AM
davn8r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Are there plans to develop and adaptor that would allow the use of the MINI iPod connector and say the AUX input jack at the same time? This would allow the use of Satellite radio for instance.
This is possible now -- unless I'm misunderstanding the question. I have both iPod connector and the aux jack. If my passenger doesn't have the MINI-specific playlists the MINI's iPod connector requires, we use the aux jack. If we want to listen to Sirius, we use the aux jack. We wouldn't technically use both at the same time... but it's certainly possible to have both installed and viable. We love this set-up!

Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
this is great to hear. i will order the Auxiliary Input and Ipod Adapter to add to my Nav, HK setup.

thanks all

Old 05-29-2006, 05:41 PM
nguillen
1st Gear
I highly recommend this setup. My girlfriend and I just got back from a trip to the Lehigh Valley in PA, about 1.5 hours outside of Philly, where I live. The Nav got us to our B&B and to various Lehigh Valley destinations we'd never been to worry-free -- it's great never having to stress about getting lost. Some of the time we listened to my MINI playlists via the iPod adapter, and the rest of the time we plugged my iPod into the Aux input and my girlfriend controlled the music. And of course, the HK sounds great. You really can't go wrong with this setup.