Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio NAV address book doesn't store house numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV address book doesn't store house numbers?

Hey everyone,

I picked up my shiny new MINI last week, and I've been getting familiar with the Navigation system. I entered my house, my work, and some friends houses into the address book... but it seems that it won't store the street address (i.e. number of building), just the street!

Anyone know the deal here? Is it a bug? You can enter the building number manually at any time for detailed guidance, so why won't it store in the address book?

Old 03-09-2005, 05:59 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I don't know what exactly you are doing/not doing but I have no problem storing addresses with the house number. I just went to the car to double check and the house numbers were definately there. (The car is a Jan production MCS.) Perhaps the manual could help?

Old 03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Its wierd, but when you are manually entering an address to the address book it does not allow for house numbers... I have worked around it by saving the address then going back and editting it... or using the memorize position function.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Whew,

I knew I wasn't crazy! I'll try the go-back-and-edit method to fix the existing... and also try to avoid the manual entry method for future entries. Instead, I'll select the address as though I want to go there NOW, and then choose to save it.

Seems to me it's a bug though, hopefully they'll correct the manual entry method in a future update.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
CARdiac, eVal...

What version of the Navigation software are you running? I'm using 4-1/40. I understand that 4-1/42 is available, although I'm hesitant to "download" it online primarily because I don't want a BMW version... I'm sure they are nearly identical, but I want the MINI logo at startup, not the BMW one (unless that logo is retrieved elsewhere?)
I'm just wondering if eVal has 4-1/42, and that's why he hasn't seen this problem before?

Old 03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edge:

the mini logo will stick in 42. i used the standard install and got a new voice (the british one), i don't know why. You can force whatever voice anyway.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
CARdiac, eVal...

What version of the Navigation software are you running? I'm using 4-1/40. I understand that 4-1/42 is available, although I'm hesitant to "download" it online primarily because I don't want a BMW version... I'm sure they are nearly identical, but I want the MINI logo at startup, not the BMW one (unless that logo is retrieved elsewhere?)
I'm just wondering if eVal has 4-1/42, and that's why he hasn't seen this problem before?
Mine is the 03 disc, which really pisses me off since I just picked the car up two weeks ago.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
CARdiac,

I wasn't talking about the map disc, I was talking about the navigation software. If you go to the Set screen, it shows up in the top right corner. My MINI was built in January 05 and arrived last month, and it came with version 4-1/40 of the navigation software (and I also have the 2003-2 data disc). Tonight, after reading ericscottf's post, I downloaded the 4-1/42 update disc and installed it. Works just fine... no noticable difference yet, but I was able to follow a different method to save the address including the house numbers.

Basically I have now learned that you have to pretend you want to go there NOW (enter it as a current destination), then choose Address Book and Enter Address. If you start off in the "Enter Address" screen FIRST, then put in the address information (different than your current destination), it never asks you nor stores the house number for you. I still consider that a bug, but at least there's a workaround!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've had the same issues and didn't quite understand it. Does seem like a bug, or just a really BAD feature.

I'll have to try out the 'solution' tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Eric,

I should have added - even when you follow the method I stated, when you go to "Enter Address" (after you have it selected already) it doesn't LOOK like it's storing the house number, but it will. You can test it afterwards by going to "Retrieve Address" - it should show the number at the end of the listing.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:56 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
I've

brought this issue up on numerous message boards. Here is basically how this works. You can enter the address with street # and then save it to the addresss book but when you do that you cant save a name/description. If you go directly to the address book you can add a name but no street number. So you basically either go with name or street # but not both. It is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Its obvious the person who worked on the software has never tested it. While we are on the subject of issue with the Nav system, I hate when you click to discontinue guiding and it leaves that white trail to your destination and constantly updates as it thinks your still going there.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
eVal
6th Gear
CARdiac, eVal...

I have version 4 1/40 like you. You know what it is, I have always saved addresses by putting them in as a destination first, therefore I've never encountered the issue you guys are having.

Are there any advantages to the 4 1/42 version?

Old 03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Howard - have you updated to the latest Nav software revision?

When I create address book entries using the method I described above (select it for current destination first), I can save a name with it too.

If you can't, perhaps you have an older software revision? What does it show up in the top right corner of your set screen?

eVal - not that I've seen so far. It was so easy to do - download the ISO image, burn it to a CD, put it into the drive (with the car running) and wait. Why not do it? There was no downside.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:08 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
Ok I

checked this out. I have SW 4-1/42. And I tested it again last night. I can go into the address book add a location and type in a name but no street #. Or I can adda normal destination then save it to the address book but won't get an option to add a name but it will have the street #.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:49 PM
samawil
5th Gear
The dealership gave me the latest version, and the mini logo still comes up. The difference I've seen since the beggining (03) is that they changed the approach distances, added the "make sure you don't bla bla bla" disclaimer, and also added another option in the main menu that gives you your exact location (latitude etc) in case of an emergency...I'm not sure what you mean about the english accent because Gypsy's always had an English accent (except when she speaks French )

L

Old 03-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Samawil,

French? Did you get your MINI in Europe? Current USA MINIs come with American English, British English, and Spanish as the voice options. No French. I don't know if it's always been that way for USA MINIs, but I wouldn't be surprised.

HowardPM,

That's strange, because when I do it with my method, I still get to enter a saved name... does anyone else have the same problem as Howard?

Last edited by Edge; 03-14-2005 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 03-14-2005, 06:52 AM
samawil
5th Gear
I got mine from Baton Rouge Louisiana, so maybe they put the french on there for them Creols out there I also got it in 03 when the HK wasn't even avaiable as an option, so it must have come a long way since then...but it should be the same unit, so I don't see why there's a difference...

L

Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
My '04 has English/Spanish/French. The earlier cars (don't know the cutoff) came with a British voice. Mine came speaking American, but I've sinced hacked it to speak British.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
In the later builds of the 05 MINIs (I believe that it changed starting sometime in November 2004), the factory voice options are now US, GB, and Spanish. They used to be US, French, and Spanish.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ericscottf
edge:

the mini logo will stick in 42. i used the standard install and got a new voice (the british one), i don't know why. You can force whatever voice anyway.
i just checked and I have 4-1/40, but I also have the british voice as an option... I am confused, do I still need 42?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
"Need" may be too strong of a word. I had 4-1/40 too, but I downloaded the ISO image and updated to 4-1/42 anyway. Works just fine

Old 03-15-2005, 06:54 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
lost, but not LOST

"Need" may be too strong of a word. I had 4-1/40 too, but I downloaded the ISO image and updated to 4-1/42 anyway. Works just fine
So what will 1/42 give me that my 1/40 does not have (I have a british voice which I use)?

Old 03-15-2005, 08:15 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
My

car was an Oct 04 build and came with US, Spanish and GB. But then I had issues and the dealer updated it and now it has GB, French and German.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
CARdiac,

To be honest, I don't know, and the nav version info page (http://x5world.net/navfaq.htm) doesn't list any either. I did it anyway... it works very well. I figured there has to be SOME kind of refinement, bug fixing or speed improvement. It's a painless process to update, so why not?

Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
I prefer to take a few minutes, add in my addresses to my address book, and then add the street numbers afterwards and saving it. It is a quirky system, but at least it works, and once you get used to doing it this way it seems to work quickly.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio NAV address book doesn't store house numbers?