2020 f56 Mini Cooper Aftermarket Carplay and Touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 02:31 AM
JoeK07
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi sb2002, not sure how to Pm on here as just made account to find out more information about this. Are you able to help, I have BIS01.

Originally Posted by sb2002
Hi all. I’m happy to report I’ve now helped someone retrofit an NBT Evo (with CarPlay and and navigation) and an 8.8” touchscreen into a car that came with the BIS headunit.

It requires a little bit of wiring work, but it’s straightforward for anyone with a little car stereo installation or similar experience.

This is not an inexpensive solution (mostly because the NBT Evo and touchscreen have gotten expensive), but it works seemlessly and is a very nice upgrade over the BIS headunit.

Please reach out with any questions. I have enough parts for one or two more similar retrofits.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:16 AM
JoeK07
Neutral
Originally Posted by BRG.
I recently purchased a 2020 F56 Cooper. It came with the 6.5 non touch, no navigation screen. I've been looking for a way to add carplay. I was planning on one of the MMI boxes that would give car play but no touch abilities, but there don't seem to be any for 2019+. In fact I couldn't find very much information on what headunits are in the 2019+'s.

I came across these on aliexpress. I confirmed with the seller that it would work with a 2020 Cooper.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...42971f57bXhBiD

the product arrived quickly and the seller has been good about keeping in contact with my questions.

So far most everything is working.

Wired Carplay works, I have not been able to get wireless carplay, but I think that is an issue with set up on my end.

The screen is touch screen and fully functions. The Idrive controller still works with the system as do all steering wheel controls. The sound and OEM microphone are all fully functional.

You can access the OEM vehicle information and settings, though the UI is different. It seems everything is there though. I am wondering about how this will work with dealer services.

The only thing not working right now is the OEM reversing camera. The guidelines and even the distance warning work, I just have no video signal. I am working with the seller now to resolve this. Does anybody have any ideas on getting the video signal to the new headunit?

I have attached a picture of the original head unit, can anybody help identify which plugs are which? I plugged in the main harness, #6 and #4 to the new system. I believe #4 is the USB.

back of head unit

Side Question - can anyone identify what headunit this is?

Over all I think this is a really good product, The reverse camera and the OEM vehicle info is the only thing keeping me from being 100% satisfied so far. Let me know if there are any questions about this.
Hi Im looking to buy that exact unit can you help me?

Old 12-19-2022, 09:45 AM
JoeK07
Neutral
Originally Posted by JoeK07
Hi Im looking to buy that exact unit can you help me?

This is my unit, as you can see I have a quad lock but it’s half the size.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:25 AM
yossich@gmail.com
Neutral
Originally Posted by BRG.
An update to this post.

I have made progress with the OEM Reversing camera. I found the pinout for the FBAS signal on newtis (rip). I added pins to the harness and connected them to the RCA input that goes into the aftermarket headunit. I am able to get the camera signal, but now it cuts out after exactly 10 seconds. One difference between my wiring and from the newtis diagram is that the OEM camera calls for 3 cables going to the headunit FBAS+, FBAS- and a Shield. I did not hook up a shield wire, could that be the reason the camera is cutting out after 10 seconds? Also once the signal cuts out, it remains off until the car is restarted.

Other than that the headunit still works well, carplay is functioning as it should and you can access the OEM vehicle info.

Thanks to Sb2002 for help with identifying the wires.

Added black and red wires for FBAS- and FBAS+ into an RCA cable for reverse camera signal

Carplay
hi, you still have the original radio? wanna sell it?

Old 10-25-2023, 03:15 PM
schreiber117
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
@BRG - did your car come with the HK sound?
@sb2002 - I tried to PM you but your inbox is full