Navigation & Audio Getting closer to Audio Nirvana

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Getting closer to Audio Nirvana

Previously upgraded my HK in the 2 dr HT.
  1. JL Audio 6 Channel Amp
  2. Bavsound speakers
Enjoyed this for awhile but always felt something was a bit off for me. On some songs the highs were lacking and the bass could be a bit overdone.

So,

added a Dayton DSP-408 with remote and Bluetooth aptX connection. Can feed the system with either the head unit radio or usb stick. Or any Bluetooth device. I'm using a Digital Audio Player at the moment.

The results are a proper sound stage for the driver (me), very clear highs which allow me to hear things in the music that are normally not present. Very clean bass, no distortion whatsoever anywhere.

Going to hopefully finish this off with a real Sub woofer for the lows that the under seat woofers just can't do.

Found a new certified installer in Portland area who knows what he is doing, is reasonably priced and can tune the car to my liking.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:31 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
I know Im going to start a war here!!!

Im so confused with people spending all sorts of cash on audio gear, just to get something out of MP3 audio!!
Im assuming your stick or digital audio player is playing just that.
Clear highs, and clean bass? From MP3?

How does your JL and BavSound speakers sound using a minimum 44.1k 16 bit wav?

I do sound for a living, and refuse to listen to MP3.

Flame on!!

Old 05-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
No war here. However, because you do it for a living doesn't have any bearing on what my ears or brain hear. As long as you can agree with that then the rest is no big deal.

I don't have many low res MP3's in my collection - only when it just isn't available in higher forms do I use it.

I'm using a FIIO X5 gen 3 player with a modified kernel to extract better player performance and hopefully no bluetooth hiccups.

As for me, I'm playing ripped CD's to FLAC at no loss of data. I also have a nice collection of higher resolution files but I'm on the fence about those - I don't really hear the difference. Everything the studio recorded should in theory come to me. Lots of the modern CD music is so poorly done that I'm not always sure that I want to hear it all that well.

A lot of my music is hidden with a straight HK playback and with the JL/Bavsound it started to sound much better, but all that was from a USB stick and not the CD quality rips I use now.

The built in MINI HK DAC is awful. But playing bit perfect from my digital audio player and processed by the Dayton it sounds great. The young guy who tuned it for me and installed it created a nice sound stage so that in the drivers seat I'm right in the middle of it. He also built me a factory looking flat floor for the back to cover everything.

Just for the record, I can't understand all the money people spend on 75% of the mods they do to the car that offer no performance benefits. I'll leave those unnamed.