Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R58 Sub-woofer box build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 03:05 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
R58 Sub-woofer box build

This is a stretch to call it a sub-woofer box. I travel for work in my car so I have to keep the hatch area usable for equipment and luggage. Having said that, this box is small. 12 1/2"D x 12 1/2"H x 11"W. The speaker in the picture is from MCM Electronics 55-2421 8" long throw woofer. The speaker is just sitting on top of the box for size comparisons. Box is tuned to 39Hz. Any lower tuning would require the box to be bigger which I decided wasn't needed for my music type(Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, etc....) The screws will be removed, box sanded, and carpeted or bedliner spray. More pics to follow.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Gtech12v
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice I use to install car audio for a living (MECP) was thinking of adding a self-powered 10" bazooka bass tube to my mini as well

Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
mpm
1st Gear
I thought about a bazooka but had the urge to build something. And I already had the speaker.........so, budget build.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Where are those finished pics?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 AM
mpm
1st Gear

Hey Kevin. I'm slow with progress. Here is the almost finished box. No Yuenglings were harmed in the taking of this pic. I haven't decided on speaker terminal location so I just run the speaker wire out the port for now.
Originally Posted by Kevin@Integral Audio
Where are those finished pics?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 AM
mpm
1st Gear
And I pulled the 6x9's out. Really crappy speakers they are. I am happy with the cavity of space behind the speaker. It is not sealed but could be easy enough. I am going to try my CDT 6x9's free air style to start with and go from there. Will be running a 4 channel amplifier initially and using the crossover to split the signal from the door speakers to the rear speakers. I have 50Hz to 250Hz to adjust with. I know 250Hz down on the 6x9's will localize them to behind me but they fire directly at the back of my seats. I can live with that if they have good mid-bass. Some pics before the CDT's go in.

http://cdtaudio.com/sep_components/subwoofers/cl69s.php <Link to my 6x9's of choice.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:05 PM
allenm324
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. What are you using for your front stage? Make sure to use a good amount of sound dampener inside the cavity once it's seal up. Also, put some on the front plastic face of the second picture.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by allenm324
Sounds like a good plan. What are you using for your front stage? Make sure to use a good amount of sound dampener inside the cavity once it's seal up. Also, put some on the front plastic face of the second picture.
Roadkill and Fast rings have been ordered. Front stage consist of PRV 6.5" and a PRV 4" along with a Tang Band tweeter. The tweeter can be crossed over at such a low frequency I am currently not using the 4" speaker. Using a generic two-way passive crossover but I have the components to make a custom crossover. I don't mind using the natural roll off of the 6.5" speaker and run it full range and blend the tweeter to it.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM
mpm
1st Gear
A few more pics of the woofer. Temporarily used some straps to keep the box from moving around and place it in different spots. So far there is little difference between the corners. One corner loaded sounds like the next. The amp is under the small storage area in front of the woofer. The amplifier is the famous 4 channel Dual XPR84D from Walmart. Cost me less than $100 brand new. This little amp rocks, especially considereing the price. Having said that I have ordered a 5 channel JL Audio. I reinstalled the passive 3-way crossover in the front doors to try it with the Dual amp. Its sounds pretty good all things considered. You may notice I have an RCA to 1/4" plug for a cell phone plugged into the amp. Reason being is the factory base radio sucks. Splicing into the X9331 was easy enough but the hissing and clicking I keep getting was unbearable. I found where other people have had the same problem and the only fix for them was an aftermarket radio. My option was to use the RCA to 1/4" adapter plug and use my cell phone directly. It works great with no noise at all.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 AM
allenm324
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice. I like the use of the RCA to phone connection, super easy way to get a signal to the amp. The gain setting might have been too high and that might explain the hiss, not sure about the clicking. Where is the 5 channel amp going to go? How are the CDT 6x9s? What is the plan for the two amps?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 AM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Good call on securing the sub box. 25 years ago I was rear ended and had a sub fly forward and hit me in the head. I still can feel a bump and scar and it knocked me out cold.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by allenm324
Very nice. I like the use of the RCA to phone connection, super easy way to get a signal to the amp. The gain setting might have been too high and that might explain the hiss, not sure about the clicking. Where is the 5 channel amp going to go? How are the CDT 6x9s? What is the plan for the two amps?
I started with the gain settings at their lowest. Nothing I did fixed the noise and such. Rerouted the cables, triple checked all the connections, actually switched to some different wire at one point. Absolutely nothing I did worked except skipping the factory base radio. The 6x9's are enroute. They did not have the shallow mount 6x9's so I switched the the regular basket type. Added a few extra days to everything. I have room so why not. The 5 channel will be exactly where the current amp is. The current 4 channel was just to test everything and mess around with speaker configs. It will like go to my daughters jetta eventually along with the speaker box.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by I like mini clubman's
Good call on securing the sub box. 25 years ago I was rear ended and had a sub fly forward and hit me in the head. I still can feel a bump and scar and it knocked me out cold.
Its temporarily not going anywhere. Those long term bumps can be serious. Better safe than sorry. I'm contemplating the permant box and it will likey bolt directly to the metal bulkhead directly in front of the amp location. Want to keep the amp hidden but accessible so I have more thinking to do.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:34 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Some comparison pics of the base model radio 6x9 compared to the CDT 6x9. Really is no comparison at all. The CDT's look real nice. About to install them tonight. A little trimming will be required with on the lip area in the mini but no more than 1/8".

Old 05-11-2019, 06:41 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Installed a second amplifier dedicated for the sub. Used the rear channel for the 6x9's. Crossed the 6x9's at 80Hz and up. The smaller amp looks better with the wiring run underneath the mounting panel. Even though I have a 5 channel amplifier ordered I wanted to mess around with a Dual, dual amp setup. Considering the cost of the amps, they sound better than expected. The amps and the amp install kits were bought at Walmart for $200 and tax. Knowing what I know now I'd do it again.