Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Failed amp, new HU, but not sure best solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM
mstorck33
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I wound up picking up four Kenwood coaxial 6.5 speakers, and I'm going to attempt to connect them to the JVC head unit and forget using any kind of amplifier at all. I don't have the money for one anyway. I've spent hours trying to decipher the wires that plug into the stock H/K head unit, and I feel like I've learned nothing. I have no problem cutting and crimping connectors onto the wires, I just can't figure out which wires do what. If anyone knows any links to a breakdown of the wires that plug into the back of the H/K head unit, please share the links. I'm going to keep searching and trying to figure it out in the meantime...

Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mstorck33
So I wound up picking up four Kenwood coaxial 6.5 speakers, and I'm going to attempt to connect them to the JVC head unit and forget using any kind of amplifier at all. I don't have the money for one anyway. I've spent hours trying to decipher the wires that plug into the stock H/K head unit, and I feel like I've learned nothing. I have no problem cutting and crimping connectors onto the wires, I just can't figure out which wires do what. If anyone knows any links to a breakdown of the wires that plug into the back of the H/K head unit, please share the links. I'm going to keep searching and trying to figure it out in the meantime...

WOW 1.5 years later and you're still trying to get it to work....

Old 07-06-2019, 12:38 PM
mstorck33
1st Gear
Correction: I GOT it to work!!! It took a while and a lot of tracing wires with the multimeter, but I'm going to post a breakdown of what I did and how shortly. It was definitely a pain in the ***, but now I have a working stereo with aftermarket speakers, and didn't have to run new wires through the doors.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:04 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Correction: I GOT it to work!!! It took a while and a lot of tracing wires with the multimeter, but I'm going to post a breakdown of what I did and how shortly. It was definitely a pain in the ***, but now I have a working stereo with aftermarket speakers, and didn't have to run new wires through the doors.
Good job.....looking forward to your write-up

Bryan

Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 PM
mstorck33
1st Gear
I took a bunch of photos, going to try and find them tonight and put together a write up. WHo knows, maybe it'll help someone in the future.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:27 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I took a bunch of photos, going to try and find them tonight and put together a write up. WHo knows, maybe it'll help someone in the future.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 08-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:22 AM
varma1986
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have this head unit pulled from a ?Mini Cooper but am not sure.Can anyone help me locate the exact part number, functions and model applicability of this head unit.Thanks.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
That's not a head unit. Looks like the optional Sirius plug in.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:24 PM
varma1986
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you for the information.I got this item as an add on when i purchased the 8.8" touchscreen display for my MINI.I do not know what to do with it.If i were to sell it back on eBay, what should i advertise it as?.Can this item be an add on on my existing Mini cooper system without Sirius?.What additional features does this bring?.How & where can this bulky item fit when it connects to the main head unit as a slave/supplement?.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:44 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for this thread. My situation wouldnt have happened if my owner could have bought the Sirius unit that varma has :(. I recently purchased a 2008 JCW Sidewalk convertible. The PO wanted Sirius and had an aftermarket radio (with corresponding adaptors) installed. I am removing it to go back to stock. I have the original amp and head unit. Have the current system removed except for an added
wiring harness that is running towards the passenger seat. Since it is nice here today I am planning to remove the passenger seat and search for the origninal harness and remove the added on harness.
The diagrams in the provided links are a godsend

Old 12-28-2020, 01:59 AM
RecoilFreak
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just starting to dig into this HK debacle with my 2005 R52, and I am running into some issues. I bought my car incredibly cheap from my nephew, who had a friend that thought it would be funny to poke his finger in one of the rear speakers. I found a good deal on a pair of Focal 165 CA1 SG's (6.5" coaxial speakers with an internal crossover and post mounted tweeters). I just got done installing them, and the door woofers have stopped working. Also, the Focals are playing very muddled and weak bass. There were two connectors on each rear speaker (DVC's?). I only hooked up one pair on each side to the Focal speakers. I assume that is what caused the door woofers to stop working. Does anyone have any info on my issue? I thought I read above (or maybe it was on another post) that the original HK speakers are 2 ohm - the focals are 4 ohm. How would one go about wiring up both pairs of wires in the rear speakers to the aftermarket replacement speakers? Just join both positives and both negatives to each other and then to the speaker? I don't want to blow up this apparently expensive HK amp. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:06 AM
toadmini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bypassed the original HK amp

I bypassed the original hk amp (using a pinout map) using breadboard jumper wires in my R52…attached an Alexa Auto to the aux input and all is well until I find a replacement amp…easy and cheap fix…$7 spent on jumper wires

The following users liked this post:
alienbogey (09-09-2021)