Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Auxiliary port question R53

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM
London1
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auxiliary port question R53

So I just took out my car stereo as I wanted to install an auxiliary cable into the back. Well when I took it out it looks like it already being utilized by something else . I am guessing the GPS system that came with the car is what's plugged into the port. I put everything back together and was looking online to see if they make a type of splitter that both the gps and aux cable can be used at the same time.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful as I really need the port for something else.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes, the Nav system has wires going into that connector. However, the aux input uses different pin positions. Look at the aux input connector, and note which pin positions are occupied by the wires. Slide out the wires/pins from the connector. Insert those pins into the existing connector, in the same pin positions.

It's covered in this thread, but unfortunately the image links no longer work:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lled-pics.html

Old 07-06-2017, 05:08 AM
London1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Yes, the Nav system has wires going into that connector. However, the aux input uses different pin positions. Look at the aux input connector, and note which pin positions are occupied by the wires. Slide out the wires/pins from the connector. Insert those pins into the existing connector, in the same pin positions.

It's covered in this thread, but unfortunately the image links no longer work:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lled-pics.html
Cheers, I'll have a look this weekend and read the thread you attached. Sorry but electronics is not my strong point but I'll have a go and let you know!

Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Check out the last page, lots of pictures.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-pics-10.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 PM
London1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Check out the last page, lots of pictures.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-pics-10.html

Cheers. I purchased a couple of things from you guys already. Thermostat, housing and gasket etc. So do you think I will need the pin removal tool for the metal tangs and to remove them? I want to make sure I have everything before I remove the panels and stereo off the mini again.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome. Thanks for the orders

You can do it with a very small flat head screw driver and then you have to work at it a bit, but if you want something quick and easy and you can use on other Euro cars or MINIs. Get this: CE-70-2

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R52-S-Convertible-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Search/SiteSearch/ES11414/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 AM
London1
2nd Gear
So. Just finished this and it was a bit of a nightmare at certain points. I pulled out the yellow wires on my nav and had red that they go into slots 2 and 8 eight I think. One of the wires came out Right away but the other was a pain in the ***. I had the same issues putting the second one back in as it didn't want to,go. I turned the mini on and no British voice, I thought fantastic - here we go. Well mine works with pulling the yellow/red wire in slot 5 and the yellow brown in slot 11.

I originally went off what I read with how to do this w your mini having nav but I put them back in on the aux th y some way I took them out of the yellow nav slots.

The issue now is that music is playing from my iPhone when I plug it in and in recognizes the aux cable but when I plug it into the audio part of my sirius radio it doesn't recognize the aux. The sirius radio tells me to turn the aux on but the cable is plugged in and working for the phone. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by London1
but when I plug it into the audio part of my sirius radio it doesn't recognize the aux. The sirius radio tells me to turn the aux on but the cable is plugged in and working for the phone.
If your Sirius is plugged into the cigarette lighter for power, it can cause an electrical ground loop problem with the aux. Does it work without being plugged in to the power? For this problem, use a ground loop isolator (search for it on Amazon).

London1 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:53 AM
London1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
If your Sirius is plugged into the cigarette lighter for power, it can cause an electrical ground loop problem with the aux. Does it work without being plugged in to the power? For this problem, use a ground loop isolator (search for it on Amazon).
The sirius is plugged into the cig lighter and the aux works fine playing music off my iPhone, as soon as I unplug the aux cable and plug it into sirius, sirius tells me to switch my aux on.

Cheers, I'll look for the ground loop isolator. I originally went thru this whole thing just for the sirius and hopefully this fixed the issue, if not at least I can play my tunes off my phone now but if I have to get the sirius fm direct adapter I will. I just wanted sirius to be a bit clearer than it is now.

Is this what your talking about before I order it? I was reading the below is for noise reduction so want to confirm. There is the one below with one plug and others that have four...which one should I get for this issue?

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by London1; 07-08-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by London1
Is this what your talking about before I order it? I was reading the below is for noise reduction so want to confirm. There is the one below with one plug and others that have four...which one should I get for this issue?

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-I...+loop+isolator

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Sy...2%3A2661618011
Get the first one and put it in between the Sirius and aux.

London1 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM
London1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Get the first one and put it in between the Sirius and aux.
Omg, I love you. It worked like a charm, as soon as I plugged it in and the clarity is so much better. I'm done screwing around with the stereo system for now as I have my aux for my phone and satellite radio.

Thank you so much!!!