Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Focal IS 165 Integrated Separates Install (6 Speaker System)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Focal IS 165 Integrated Separates Install (6 Speaker System)

I thought I'd just document the first thing I did to the new mini, which was phase 1 of the sound system upgrade. My speakers were the first thing to arrive, so I thought I'd install them.

Because of great reviews, I opted to install Focal IS 165's, which have crossovers built in to the tweeters and the woofers. What they DON'T have is good documentation on how to wire them, so I pulled my hair out for hours poring all over the web to figure it out. Finally I decided to disconnect the 4", wire the tweeters to the woofers, and connect the woofers to the Factory wiring. For reference, here's the factory wiring for the base system that I grabbed from a previous thread:

Left front lower: black/redstripe +, black/violetstripe -

Left front upper: black/whitestripe +, black/brownstripe - <----- Mine were Blue/White+, Blue/Brown -

Right front lower: yellow/brownstripe +, yellow/blackstripe -
Right front upper: blue/blackstripe +, blue/brownstripe -
(update: these color-codes now known to be good for 2009 R56 non-hifi also -- which makes me think that 2008 R56s will be the same.)

Here are install pics:

Factory Speaker Garbage:

Wiring The Tweeter to the woofer:

Tweeter Bracket Fab and enlarging the factory hole with a dremel:

Woofer Install:

Buttoned Up:

I haven't taken a drive yet (doing that now) but first impressions are a HUGE improvement over stock. Louder, MUCH more clarity, and punchier bass response.

Next up, installing an Alpine Multimedia HU, Alpine piggyback amp, and a 10" Bazooka tube. Should rock.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
How do they sound running off the OEM head unit without amp. Great job fitting the tweeter and sharing the details.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM
emptyo
2nd Gear
They sound colossally better than OEM. I have not done the Front/Back swap because I'm about to install a new Head Unit and Amp.