Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Question regarding ICE-Link, ATTN: iPod Users

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:56 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding ICE-Link, ATTN: iPod Users

Hey guys,

Welcome to NAM 2.0, very spiffy!! well anyways, now that the summer is here it is time to treat myself to some MINI modding. I currently run my iPod thru the Aux input and using the dock/charger/remote on my shifter. I was lookin at the ICE-Link v. 1.1 and it looks very sweet. The holder looks awesome and the features are very much improved (here it is http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=375&Itemid=79). So.... i was wondering if anyone has had experience with version 1.1 and any pics of it mounted in the MINI. Also, i could not find a price. Do u guys think Apple will be coming out with anything better than this? Maybe their own Headunit?? I dont want to rush out to get the ICE-Link and then have something better come out.

thanks for your help

-Elite

Old 06-06-2004, 10:22 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>bump

Old 06-07-2004, 04:09 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
come on fellas

Old 06-07-2004, 07:48 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Elite,
I have the Dension unit but have not installed it yet. (Time consumed with
installation of big brakes, gauges and other stuff)
At CES, Alpine had some interesting stuff but I'm not sure of the release
date You might check their web site.
Hope this helps,
Ric

ALPINE DEBUTS WORLD'S FIRST CAR AUDIO HEAD UNITS THAT ALLOW TRUE INTEGRATION WITH iPod

TORRANCE, Calif, January 6, 2004 -- Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, will demonstrate at CES the world's first solution that enables consumers to connect and control their iPod from their in-vehicle sound system. Alpine's iPod Ready strategy is part of the company's overarching mission to create innovative in-vehicle electronics that are easier to use and provide great sound in the mobile environment.
"The integration of iPod control into selected 2004 Alpine in-dash receivers addresses the growing market of portable digital audio device users who want a safe and easy-to-use solution for playback in the car." said Stephen Witt, Alpine's vice president of Brand Marketing.
With a simple one-cable connection, iPod users will be able to operate key playback features from the Alpine receiver's buttons and have display of playlists, album, artist and songs on the head unit. The iPod can then be safely stored in the glove box or console because it acts like a portable hard drive connected to the head unit through Alpine's powerful Ai-Net system bus. The Alpine connectivity solution also provides charging of the iPod's internal battery.
"Alpine's iPod Ready in-dash receivers will allow iPod users seamless control of up to 10,000 songs easily in their car," said Stan Ng, Apple's Director of iPod Product Marketing. "Being able to display song information and browse the iPod's entire music library right from the Alpine head unit makes this a superior way to enjoy non-stop music in the car."
Alpine has engineered a unique interface box that takes advantage of the iPod Accessory Protocol allowing audio, track information, and control signals to be communicated over the Ai-NET system bus to the in-dash receiver. This seamless integration provides emulation of the iPod's controls through an Alpine head unit using both the front panel buttons and the wireless remote control.
Alpine's iPod Ready Interface kit will be available later this summer through Alpine authorized retailers. To receive more information on the Alpine iPod Ready receivers, consumers may send an e-mail to ipodready@alpine-usa.com

Old 06-07-2004, 08:16 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
that is downright godly!! i wonder when it will be coming out or any of the details!

Old 06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Contact Alpine, see what they say :smile:
I hope it's not vaporware. There was also word
that they (Alpine) have or are working on a
unit that will connect to to the stock head unit
and have the same features with the i-pod.
Who knows, check and see. Post any new
information here.

Last edited by MOTORN; 06-07-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:02 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Elite, I'll bet not many have installed v1.1 yet. I've got v1.0 and am quite happy. You can read a review of v1.0 on Gabe Bridger's site here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/...ce-link_review

According to Dension, all of the functionality is the same between v1.0 and v1.1 (at least currently)...only the physical mount/dock connection is different. So Gabe's functionality review of v1.0 should be helpful for those considering v1.1.

For you v1.0 users: I noticed there's an upgrade option available for $99. I'd love to have the new v1.1 cradle (no extra wire to connect on top of the iPod) but can't bring myself to pay $99.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:15 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
hmm interesting, ill have to see.... i dont have the time right now to email alpine right now w/ finals, im sure someone else woudl love to take up the task

Old 06-10-2004, 01:37 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Ok Elite,
I guess I have to do everything email sent to Alpine.
Talked to the Alpine Rep and their best guess is early
September (read Jan 1, 2005 ).
I'll let you guys know if/what I find out.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Reply from Alpine:

"Thank you for your interest in Alpine's in-vehicle connectivity and control
solution for iPod digital portable music players. This mailbox has been
created specifically to hold your e-mail request for information regarding
Alpine's iPod Ready interface kit.

No detailed product information is currently available. Your e-mail is
prioritized for early delivery of the iPod Ready product information by
return e-mail in the near future."

Old 06-10-2004, 04:26 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
sweet man, so september? i guess ill hold off then!

Old 06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Just don't "hold" your breath!

Last edited by MOTORN; 06-10-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
It's vaporware

I was at CES. They said April at the latest. It's a brilliant idea and might get me to buy an Alpine head unit but I don't believe them. I'll believe it when it's shipping. In fact, I'd bet that aftermarket products that do everything this does will be available before they get around to making these in large numbers. There's insuffucuent market data for Alpine to make a solid comittment to production. I'm betting they have all the resources and design ready but they're not sure enough about getting their return on investment to start production.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:48 AM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Kurtster,
As far as the Mini specific piece, I am inclined to agree, I don't think we will ever see it.
That said, and knowing that CES is notorious for vaporware I still think that they will bring the AI net compatable device to market this year. Lots of I-pods and Alpine decks already out there you know. Now just how many of the features seen at CES will survive and in what form is the real question.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:06 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
i had it and promptly sold it on ebay due to my "lack of amazement" with this item. If you want to do yourself a favor, get the holder/mount they sell, and use that with your aux port - saves you hundreds of dollars. Having the connectivity to the steering wheel controls was great, but think about it - you ALREADY have volume controls - if you want to change the track just reach over and press the >>| key on the ipod.... you are essentially paying $400 for the ability to change tracks via your steering wheel.

I sold mine b/c it killed my battery on my ipod....twice. The first time i figured the battery just expired, figured maybe his time had come.... had to buy a new one from apple and pay to get it replaced (involved shipping it away) a couple of weeks later the battery died again..... by this time i was fed up. Sold the icelink and haven't had any problems since.

In the end i figured $400 to have track switchability wasn't enough for me. Cool concept, but i wouldn't pay more than $50 for that.

Sleep on it a couple of nights, get the initial excitement out of your system, then realize its not even close to being worth the money.

Again, just buy the mount for it and roll with that. You will thank me later!

-ABT-

Old 06-13-2004, 07:36 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
ABT,
Yea I know , thats one reason I haven't installed my 1.1 yet .
The Alpine is/will be a bird of a different color :smile: .

Old 06-13-2004, 08:19 PM
GreyStreet
3rd Gear
This is sweet!

Old 06-13-2004, 08:56 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
so is this thing easy to install? i would assume so, as it uses the changer's connections... i sure would be happy having 3000 or so songs right in my car!

Old 06-14-2004, 05:26 AM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sorsha6
so is this thing easy to install? i would assume so, as it uses the changer's connections... i sure would be happy having 3000 or so songs right in my car!
i have 3000 songs in my car now without the icelink and am 100% happy.

Cheers
-ABT-

Old 06-14-2004, 03:03 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Just to add more fuel to the fire
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=502
Could it be that we don't need Alpine?

Last edited by MOTORN; 06-14-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
that does sound neat.

but think about it.... Apple and BMW? How much is that going to cost?

-ABT-

Old 06-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Prof
1st Gear
More details on the Apple/BMW iPod solution:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/gizm...led-016383.php

Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 AM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Guys,
Got this from Alpine today.
HTH,
Ric

The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) enables users to experience superior in-vehicle sound quality and advanced control of their iPod music using any of Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net in-dash head units in their own vehicle. The unit will ship at the end of September for a target retail price of $100.*

Alpine's Interface Adapter for iPod enables people to use the in-dash receiver's exclusive Bass Engine® technologies to tune their system to get the best sound quality in their own vehicle. The solution allows users to control iPod playback using the head unit's front panel buttons or remote; view song information (artist, album and/or song name) on the display; and easily find tracks through the receiver's Quick Search interface with the rotary ****. Alpine’s exclusive MediaXpander™ technology restores lost detail to compressed digital media, bringing the original impact and life back to the music.*

The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod is a hide-away design and can be installed anywhere in the vehicle - under a seat, in the glove box or behind the dash. A single cable connects the adapter to the Alpine head unit, while a second cable connects the adapter to the iPod through the iPod dock connector. The iPod then acts like a plug and play hard drive controlled by Alpine’s easy-to-use rotary **** control. When the vehicle is on, the Interface Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery.

Pricing and Availability
The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod will be available through Alpine Authorized Dealers at the end of September for $100. It is compatible with any iPod mini with the dock connector and iPod update 2004-04-28. Go to the iTunes site to download the latest iPod software. Alpine offers 11 2004 Ai-Net head units through authorized dealers at target retail prices starting at $200.*

http://www.alpine-usa.com/ipod/

Last edited by MOTORN; 07-13-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MOTORN
Guys,
The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) enables users to experience superior in-vehicle sound quality and advanced control of their iPod music using any of Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net in-dash head units in their own vehicle. The unit will ship at the end of September for a target retail price of $100.*
Already have 2 of these on order. One for the MINI and one for my truck. Both have the new IVA-d300 Touch Screen Unit.
Have ordered the Denison Unit for another vehicle (BMW X5) but there seems to be some communication problems. Ordered the unit for a Navigation equipped vehicle but got one that states it not for use with Navigation. Tech Support at Denison still has not gotten back to me as to what we're going to do to get this working. So much for plug and play.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 PM
USAMINICOOPER
3rd Gear
Mark: Hey what up?
See you at Lauderdale on Friday. I'll be there early.

Already have 2 of these on order. One for the MINI and one for my truck. Both have the new IVA-d300 Touch Screen Unit.
Will this new ipod unit for Alpine IVA 300 show all the tracks on the screen?
Can you use the screen to select each tract you want to hear?

See ya
Robert

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Question regarding ICE-Link, ATTN: iPod Users