Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Amp question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 AM
wolfpack693
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp question

I have the HK system in my 2008 Mini Convert. I decided to change out the head unit because the volume **** was busted on the receiver. I put in a Sony head unit and the amp doesn't turn on. So I was thinking I should just change out the amp with a better one and run the factory HK speakers. As of right now the speakers are hard wired to the deck for the mean time.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so what amp will I be able to match the factory HK amp to?
3) Should the amp be an AB or a D class amp?
4) If it can't be done should I just swap out the speakers as well, I was thinking focal subs 5.25 and 6.5s. I want to keep it as original as possible without putting a box in.

Any help would be awesome thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a huge project. A quick google search will reveal many threads about how hard it is to replace the HK system.

Either replace the OEM HU or replace all the BMW equipment completely, those are the two routes.

There used to be an HK activator available for aftermarket HUs but stock has dried up.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 AM
wolfpack693
Neutral
Problem solved! I was able to use my oem hk speakers as well.

Sony Head Unit
Alpine Power Pack 180w Class D ($120)
OEM HK speakers

Bypass the HK amp run the speakers through the alpine power pack to the head unit. The bass sounds much better and clearer than the hk amp, my opinion. So far no speaker or amp blowouts since the past week and I saved a grip on not having to buy a whole new system.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have that Alpine powerpack and it is amazing how clean and powerful this little puppy gives...not for driving subs & high SPL but ample for mid-bass which is perfect for small cabin volume like our Mini.
Congrats for solving your HK problem which seems to be very common here in the forum.

Originally Posted by wolfpack693

Sony Head Unit
OEM HK speakers

Bypass the HK amp run the speakers through the alpine power pack to the head unit. The bass sounds much better and clearer than the hk amp, my opinion. So far no speaker or amp blowouts since the past week and I saved a grip on not having to buy a whole new system.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
wolfpack693
Neutral
I wanted to go ghost by just switching out amps without having to tear the car apart or add a big amp to the crammed trunk space. I was hesitant at first when I looked at it, but after an auto audio shop quoted me $500 (+ labor, + a new set of speakers) for a kenwood comparable amp to the HK amp I decided what the heck. I have an HK amp for sale now but afraid of taking it out to sell just because I've heard if you take it out something goes haywire with the ECU.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack693

Sony Head Unit
OEM HK speakers

Cool, what did you do for crossovers? Any pics of the install?