Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS install - 2003 model year head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS install - 2003 model year head unit

Alright folks. So can someone give me a BRIEF description of a DIY Sirius install to a stock 03 head unit?

From what I gather, the 2003 model year head units are Sirius satellite-ready...

So, what I'm planning on is purchasing a Kenwood KTC-SR902 and an antenna (hopefully both from eBay).

Do all MINIs come stock with the CD changer cable even if it was not ordered with a CD changer? If so, where is the input, behind one of the removeable panels in the boot? Will the Kenwood tuner work with that cable, or only the MINI Sirius tuner?

If the Kenwood doesn't work with the CD cable, do I have to install the AUX jack to hook up the tuner to the head unit?

How about the antenna?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to find out what I'm getting myself into...

Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Storer
5th Gear
Anyone? Anyone?

Old 04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
rgonzalez
1st Gear
I had Sirius Satellite Radio on my 2004 MCS (10/03) build date. My car didn't have the CD player but was wired for it. You'll need a SoundGate adapter for the MINI which you can get online. The sound quality is awesome.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
cooperdude
2nd Gear
>>I had Sirius Satellite Radio on my 2004 MCS (10/03) build date. My car didn't have the CD player but was wired for it. You'll need a SoundGate adapter for the MINI which you can get online. The sound quality is awesome.

The sound quality is great i agree. However, i currently have this setup in my car right now, and if you are expecting to have your factory radio display the song and title, its not going to work. I was under the impression that it would work, but like a day ago, i talked to a guy at soundgate and he stated that it will never display text of any kind. Basically the stereo will display:
CD-21
This shows that station 21 is playing. If you are fine with this, its great, the sound quality is nice. But if you're like me and like to see what artist/song is playing, get the OEM. I'll be going that route in a few days.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:53 PM
rgonzalez
1st Gear
>>The sound quality is great i agree. However, i currently have this setup in my car right now, and if you are expecting to have your factory radio display the song and title, its not going to work. I was under the impression that it would work, but like a day ago, i talked to a guy at soundgate and he stated that it will never display text of any kind. Basically the stereo will display:
>>CD-21
>>This shows that station 21 is playing. If you are fine with this, its great, the sound quality is nice. But if you're like me and like to see what artist/song is playing, get the OEM. I'll be going that route in a few days.

That's correct, the display shows only the channel number, which is a disadvantage. I heard that SoundGate was coming out with a new adapter that had the text display capability. I guess it is a matter of preference and cost.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:22 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So how does the "official" MINI setup get the song and channel information from the tuner to the HU? I'm 99% positive that the HU displays that information with the "official" system. Maybe that part can be had via e-bay?

I know that XM Direct solution for XM radio does in fact display the channel and program information on the display, I've seen it...

Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Storer
5th Gear
Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate the helpful info. Turns out there's a soundgate dealer in my town, so I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.

What function does the adapter serve? Does it plug into the CD changer cable? Thanks again

-Chris

Old 04-23-2004, 07:40 PM
rgonzalez
1st Gear
>>Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate the helpful info. Turns out there's a soundgate dealer in my town, so I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.
>>
>>What function does the adapter serve? Does it plug into the CD changer cable? Thanks again
>>
>>-Chris
It utilizes the CD cables in order to connect the Sirius brain to the HU. Yes it plugs into the CD cables. Good luck with install. You won't be disappointed.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
rgassman
Neutral
anyone know if any of htose aftermarkey kits will work if you have the NAV...the OEM wont they say, so iam am stuck with a roady by XM mounted