Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPod/iPhone cable questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 AM
conger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod/iPhone cable questions

I have a 2008 Cooper UK spec, No Nav, standard Boost audio with USB & Aux In connectors under front cubby hole, and also Bluetooth and voice control.

I can get USB sticks and my old iPod and iPhone 4s to work fully using a cheap eBay black MINI copy USB/1/8" cable. Iphone charges and can get full control from steering wheel.

I also have another longer more supple white cable, that also charges the iPhone, but the car then sees it as a USB and allows control as if it was a USB and displays USB on the Boost display.

So it appears there is some checking done to determine if the USB device plugged in is an iPod or iPhone or whether it is just a memory device. That checking must be determined by the way that the cables are configured.

So does anyone know what the difference is between the cables or ideally is there a PIN out available? I am hoping there is no active electronics in the big lump half way along the proper cable.

The reason I ask is that I want to buy a longer cable to route the iPod or iPhone either to the center armrest or storage compartment. I have seen 1.5m ones on eBay that look right but you never really know until you buy it and try it out.

Can anyone recommend a longer fully compatible iPhone cable?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For 2008-2011 cars only:

Unfortunately there is electronics in that "lump" you speak of on the cable. that is what make the iPod/iPhone work with the MINI as an iPod.

Other wise the mini only sees it as a USB Device.

For 2012 and later cars it seems to depend on the options as to how it sees the iPod/iPhone for control. Some will see it with just a USB cable as an iPod and other configurations will see it as a USB Device.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM
conger
2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply. I have literally just finished installing a 1.5m iPod cable I got off eBay. I now hide the iPod or iPhone in the armrest and attach to the 30 pin connector on the end of this new cable. the cable was easily routed along the underside of the main central plastic cowl that runs from the front and back to the base of the armrest support. Then I just allowed enough of the flying USB and audio leads to pop out and into the connecters under the front cubby hole. It works very well indeed.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
I ran a usb extension cable and 3.5mm audio extension cable to the left side of the steering wheel and that is where I connected my Y Cable. USB Extension cabes are very cheap and so are the 3.5mm audio cables. This also allows me to unplug the ipod cable to my iphone so I can control my audio apps that don't play well with the boost stereo or my music ipod app on my iPhone5. I used a craven speed scissor XL mount with my iPhone so it is very discreetly sitting to the left of my iPhone . This also works great when using GPS apps too. Because the scissor XL is a universal mount I don't have to worry about if my iPhone size changes as I upgrade to future iPhones.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 AM
conger
2nd Gear
My main reason for putting the iPod in the armrest was to keep it hidden from view when I leave the car.

I have now solved the problem with a solution that I am very happy with. I found a 1.5m cable on from 71leven on eBay UK titled
BMW Mini iPod iPhone Y Cable USB to AUX Interface 1.5M Lead iDrive Car Adaptor

When it arrived it looked slightly different because it had a sharp edged rectangular but small box where the cables join.

Anyway, after about 15 minutes easy effort, I got the cable into the back of the armrest, inside the cable routing clips on the armrest support and up inside the central tunnel plastic cover and led the USB and 1/8" jack out to the front cuby hole just in front of the cigar lighter. The 1.5m length is just about perfect.

Now I have a discreet, hidden installation that works perfectly. I left a few inches of cable in the armrest so that I can lift up the iPod or iPhone to see the screen if I need to.

Overall the job went a bit too well. Instead of the usual fingers cut to pieces, broken pieces of trim and a handful of metal fittings left over, I had nothing to show.

Last edited by conger; 04-21-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling