Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Custom In-Gauge Monitor Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Mcschobert
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom In-Gauge Monitor Install Questions

My thought is to put a secondary monitor where the NAV unit would have been, if my model would have been equipped with it.

There's a great thread detailing the install while retaining the factory computer settings, which answered a lot of questions. I'm going to following that install, but take it a step further. I want to use the video output from headunit to display on a second monitor mounted in the center gauge. I want to keep the project as stockesque as possible.

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone done this and have any insights?
  2. What are the measurements of the opening?
    1. Is there enough depth to mount a screen only? Probably about 1.5-2" needed.
    2. Is there a glass covering over the screen area where the NAV unit would be, or is that open for touch screen?
  3. I've looked around at junkyards and found the outer part of the gauge from the NAV unit. Is this just a simple connection to the existing plugs for the speedo, fuel gauge, and warning lights?
I'm new to this forum, but not by any means new to aftermarket and custom mods. I'm MECP certified and have done custom fiber glass for several featured mini trucks. I've done my research and haven't found the answers that I'm looking for, so hopefully some of you might have insight.

Thanks!