Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Quick Poll: Who's had Harman Kardon amp failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 AM
jamfred774
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, after much searching I finally figured out that the power wire in-between the amp and the stereo for constant power was putting out inconsistent power. I ran a hot wire down to the battery, fused it and now everything runs great. Make sure when checking everything that your constant power is working correctly as well.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:45 AM
trlarry
2nd Gear
Another HK bites the dust. My 04 JCW with 60,000 miles garage kept and pampered. Did a hard launch from a redlight yesterday, no more stereo.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Cristhian702
1st Gear
Are there any DIY for the aftermarket amp and crossovers? Mine just went out and the places that I've called have quoted me min $600. The thing that scares me is that they all want to run new wires! I don't trust anyone with audio work in vegas! I've seen TOO many hack jobs! Not big on audio so any amp thats equivalent or better than stock is fine. I'm a tech but only know the basics when it comes to audio. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Cristhian702; 09-12-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Rake8x10
Neutral
I know this is an old thread, but my HK amp just died in my 2003 JCW... seems that my amp had a longer than usual life span, but i am still annoyed that i have lost my tunes!!! not looking forward to dumping a bunch of cash in this system. Did anyone ever look into a recall or class action suit against HK?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 AM
miniinblu
Neutral
So glad to find this thread. I have an 04 Cooper S Indy Blue, I backed out of the drive way no sound. I baby this car, it's never spent a night outside. We looked over the fuses and found nothing the radio is still showing channels, you can change the stations, the CD Player works you can hear it running, just no sound. Paul, I'm glad you started this thread. Celjel I may try to see if we can just buy one like you did and plug it in ourselves, hubby is pretty handy with things like this. Any suggestions, how to's or not to's?
Choo I am going to take your info to one of our local sound shops that does most of the dealer work and specialty stuff for 35 years. They said we have to be careful that the system is comparable as it could ruin the entire electrical system. I have had quotes on a new HK amp as high as $2K. Yikes!

Jashepan thanks for the video and info I asked our local shop about it he said yes he could do it, had to modify the system but it could be done, still close to 1000 to do it. Now I have to decide which would be the better option.

If anyone is interested in class action I am game, we could get in touch with the firm that already has one against them should make it pretty easy to win if they will take it. I think a company that keeps on putting something out that clearly has a problem should be held accountable.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 AM
miniinblu
Neutral
I am up for it, sounds like there are a lot of us. We probably need a list of people that want to join in. I am going to give HK and Mini a chance to fix it first. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LeeL
I did do the switch to the JLAudio M600/6.

I have not completely figured out if I can work around it, but it did kill my Dicelink ipod integrationthat is connected to the Aux in, but the Satellite Radio (aftermarket Blitzsafe XM setup). Only thing I can think of is the iBus wire that has nowhere to go now is affecting it somehow.

It is definitely louder, since it is not limited any more, but I still have a some tweaking to do as I have too much midrange for now. The adjustment pots are VERY sensitive. I think I need to start all over with lower initial levels and make small changes.

So, in case anyone runs into any similar issues. Pull the battery for an hour or so.

I feel like a dummy, though I had the battery disconnected when I did the work, when I had it disconnected trying to reset some ECU adaptations from when I had the damper go bad. Once I did, bam the Dice Link interface started working just fine.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM
miniinblu
Neutral
Originally Posted by Paul Griffin
We have a 2004 Mini Cooper and the Harman Kardon amplifier stopped working. I've never had any car audio component, head unit or amplifier, fail in any of the 16 cars I've owned, yet this premium amplifier is stone cold dead. Doing a bit of anecdotal research it seems it might be a very common problem, so I was wondering:

How many others out there have had their Harman Kardon audio system fail?
(Please post the year of your car and model in response)

2004 Mini S indy blue went out a few months ago.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 PM
miniinblu
Neutral
I talked to Mini and Harmon they both said they were sorry but it was out of warranty. I would love to get a class action started.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM
miniinblu
Neutral
I have been trying to get my amp replaced since it died several months ago. So far no go. I don't want to buy used, since they are around $400-500 used, with a 30 day warranty, or new for 1500 and 2 years warranty. To go to a new brand they have to do modifications. If that one goes out then I am right back where I started and I stand a chance of messing up some of the function of my car. So new is looking the best. I did take it to a local shop that said I should take it to a repair shop, I did and they have tested it on the bench all seems to be fine. There are no smoked out, cracked, burned spots so now they are going to start replacing parts. I'm just not sure where you stop the spending and give up and just buy a new one. Ugh... anyone have any advice for advice for me?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM
DonM
Neutral
Harmon Kardon Amp Failure

The Amp in my 2005 Mini S also has failed. I have also questioned the dealer and got the answer: "have not seem many failures". I sent an email to MINI and never got an answer re. the issue. Many of you may remember the issue with the electric pwr steering pump that was a recall in Canada but not in the USA. MINI finally agreed to extend the warranty for that part. I got a check for $1200 from MINI since I had already had the dealer replace the pump.

Let's get something going on the HK amps!!!!!

Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine failed after 10 years and 135k miles.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM
miniinblu
Neutral
Faulty Harmon Kardon Amps

Originally Posted by DonM
The Amp in my 2005 Mini S also has failed. I have also questioned the dealer and got the answer: "have not seem many failures". I sent an email to MINI and never got an answer re. the issue. Many of you may remember the issue with the electric pwr steering pump that was a recall in Canada but not in the USA. MINI finally agreed to extend the warranty for that part. I got a check for $1200 from MINI since I had already had the dealer replace the pump.

Let's get something going on the HK amps!!!!!
I finally after almost a year got m HK fixed. I had electronics shop work on it and had several diagnostics test run on it. They couldn't fix it. Finally we found a guy that had one for sale, however it's an old one and will probably go out again, we unplugged the old one, plugged in the used one and now sound! But what happens when it goes out again? I spoke to Mini USA and my local dealer nothing at all they sent me to HK said it was their problem, HK said they don't have any kind of warranty and that it is totally up to the dealer once they buy the parts from HK it's their problem. What a bunch of jerks, but I had read this was the normal response from both of them. Since we have some that are wanting to looking into class action does someone want to make the call? I was thinking if we look up the attorneys that have won cases against them we might be off to a good start. I warned both HK and Mini that we were talking about a class action suit, they both said that was fine with them. I wonder how fine it will be when we all win! Who wants to make the call? I will be glad to do the research on attorneys that have won cases if no one else wants to. We can set up a Facebook page for failed HK's and run ads on Craigs list to get people who have had a problem with something that is clearly defective and they know it but refuse to accept responsibility. Oh and if any one wants the news media to do a story on this it might help all our cases.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM
SooperCoopers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part number help?

I am trying to fix my OEM Harmon Kardon amp..

Choo mentioned that one fix was using the digikey part number 497-4566-1-ND for the switcher. I was able to find this component on the board, but could not locate the 2 inductors....Could some one help me out and possibly tell me where these 2 inductors are located?

I have uploaded a picture of where I found the switcher...are the inductors nearby?

thanks!

Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  272.4 KB

Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
101 H36 is the coil. It's shielded.

I'm surprised you need to replace it, since they are usually fairly robust, as a coil of wire. If you can buzz it with a multimeter you'll likely find it's undamaged.

The two orange rectangles with 227 on are the 10V output tantalum caps.

The two round silver caps on the input are the higher voltage electrolytic ones. I'd inspect them for evidence of leaking.

Last edited by joylove; 04-03-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM
SooperCoopers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by joylove
101 H36 is the coil. It's shielded.

I'm surprised you need to replace it, since they are usually fairly robust, as a coil of wire. If you can buzz it with a multimeter you'll likely find it's undamaged.

The two orange rectangles with 227 on are the 10V output tantalum caps.

The two round silver caps on the input are the higher voltage electrolytic ones. I'd inspect them for evidence of leaking.
Thanks for the response. Ill do my testing tomorrow. Are the two "inductors" (3.3v and 1.2v) visible on the picture I uploaded, or are those located elsewhere?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's only 1 inductor in that picture.

Once again, the inductor is unlikely to have failed.

Before attempting to modify any of the circuit, you should be able to measure the input voltage with a multimeter at the silver capacitors, and the output voltage at the yellow capacitors.

Last edited by joylove; 04-03-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:50 AM
SooperCoopers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by joylove
There's only 1 inductor in that picture.

Once again, the inductor is unlikely to have failed.

Before attempting to modify any of the circuit, you should be able to measure the input voltage with a multimeter at the silver capacitors, and the output voltage at the yellow capacitors.
Thanks! Does anyone have a schematic for this amp? That would be an enormous help!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Jerseyjoe
Neutral
2004 mini with hk. Sound just stopped. Radio still works (stations, cd, etc). Read these threads so assumed Amp. Replaced amp with used working one. Still no sound. How do I know amp has power? No ON light. I need to isolate problem. How? HELP!

Would just replace everything but lowest quote is $1400 with cheap amp and radio.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope

Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Honeymooner
Neutral
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S with Harman Kardon and had the same thing happen to me last week. No sound, but radio works fine. After reading this thread and many others out there. It's clear that these amps have an engineered shelf life. Maybe its the heat, design whatever... I laid out my options:

1) Buy a new one from the dealer $900-$1000
2) Locate a used one (difficult and reliability issues? $400+)
3) Try a different amp and work through it

#2 seems like the easiest approach. I have a 12 year old car, who needs a new part? The thing is: THESE AMPS FAIL. I have owned several cars and never had an amp just stop working like that. How do you know if the one you're getting is going to last? YOU DON'T know.

I would rather spend my money on something that does work and is going to work with a warranty of at least 2 years.

After reading the posts by Paul and 4Driver4 - I decided to pick up a JL Audio m600/6 - The wiring doesnt look that difficult at all. Placement of the amp may be a bigger issue. (I want to make sure i can get access to the bulbs if needed)

Overall, I expect the performance to be what you would expect from an amplifier that is 12 years newer than the one that the dealership wants $1000 bucks for.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Paul Griffin
Neutral
Originally Posted by Honeymooner
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S with Harman Kardon and had the same thing happen to me last week. No sound, but radio works fine. After reading this thread and many others out there. It's clear that these amps have an engineered shelf life. Maybe its the heat, design whatever... I laid out my options:

1) Buy a new one from the dealer $900-$1000
2) Locate a used one (difficult and reliability issues? $400+)
3) Try a different amp and work through it

Hope you find the solution that works best for you.

The JL Audio XD600/6 I put in my daughter's Mini in 2012 is still working perfectly and sounds great. Took some EQ tweaking at the amp to get the sound she was happy with, but it was great to not have to replace the speakers, or buy any crossovers since its all done at the amp. If you do go with a JL, I think all the info you need is in this thread. The car is outside in N. WA all winter and there don't seem to be any moisture issues with the XD.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
AikiJeff
Neutral
Woofer failure

Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
That could be for SSSSSOOOOOOOO many things with the MINI name on it

BUT my amp is still running. I keep having issues with the HK door woofers.
I have had numerous speaker issues in the last 4 months and now my sound is different. It is as if there is no bass guitar. Just kids, treble, and deep bass. I am leaning toward and amp issue. I will also have the battery checked since it is 2 years old. I have a 2013 clubman s.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Ken Zmetra
Neutral
Harmon Kardon 04 Amp Failure

Originally Posted by Paul Griffin
We have a 2004 Mini Cooper and the Harman Kardon amplifier stopped working. I've never had any car audio component, head unit or amplifier, fail in any of the 16 cars I've owned, yet this premium amplifier is stone cold dead. Doing a bit of anecdotal research it seems it might be a very common problem, so I was wondering:

How many others out there have had their Harman Kardon audio system fail?
(Please post the year of your car and model in response)

Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 AM
Ken Zmetra
Neutral
Originally Posted by Ken Zmetra
My HK amplifier also dead !
2004 Mini S 😣 Any Solutions micro electronics inside can't do anything with have to replace want tunes
HELP PLEASE ! kenzmetra@aol.com

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Quick Poll: Who's had Harman Kardon amp failure?