Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Volume on the iPod with the newly installed AUX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed an AUX output and plugged my iPod in and there was a huge drop in volume. The CD and radio volume were as I like it but I had to peg the iPod volume and still crank the volume on the head unit more to get the same results. What gives?

Old 02-26-2004, 09:53 PM
JMotz
1st Gear
I had this same problem. Use the button on the radio to go to the, part with bas, treble, fader, adjustments, etc. There should now be a new setting for input settings. Set it at 5 and this will help alot. It's still kind of low but should be acceptable. I read this in another post, maybe it was in the instructions, which I didn't read.

Hope this helps
Jon

Old 02-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Way
2nd Gear
In iTunes if you select a song and choose 'Get Info' from the file menu, you can adjust the volume to +100% for that song. You can do this for multiple songs. Do this for all your songs. After doing this I find that setting the AUX volume to level 2 is enough.

I find that this really helps the AUX volume.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
grendalsiii
1st Gear
I just installed the aux for my ipod two days ago and am still trying to find the right balance between- Aux level 2-3+Ipod volume at 100%+and autoleveling on itunes to equalize all the songs.

For the most part I get good levels and only need to adjust here and there.

I dig the aux input and wil probably do the XM or Sirius next.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:56 PM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
Do what Way says.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 AM
jerij
2nd Gear
Way's way sounds good but does it work when you've put music on your iPod from your own personal collection? I'm still wading thru the iTunes software but basically refuse to buy from Apple what I already have in my CD rack.

jerij

Old 03-01-2004, 07:15 AM
james4513
1st Gear
Set the AUX volume level to 5 - then the volume level at playback is about the same as CD and tuner.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:40 AM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
>>Way's way sounds good but does it work when you've put music on your iPod from your own personal collection? I'm still wading thru the iTunes software but basically refuse to buy from Apple what I already have in my CD rack.
>>
I assume you have put your music on your iPod from your iTunes library. Any or all songs in your iTunes library can be modified as far as name and info on song including volume settings. I think the default output setting is 50%. Just do a "command I" on your song or songs and then edit the info as you like.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
jerij
2nd Gear
Cool, I didn't know that.

jerij

Old 03-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Also, I use the Belkin Car Adapter w/ a 3.5mm amplified output. Pretty much the same kind of hookup you get when you use the iPod in the docking station. It's pricey (US$50) but works very well. You get a much "cleaner" signal than hooking into the headphone control unit.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:35 PM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
>>Also, I use the Belkin Car Adapter w/ a 3.5mm amplified output. Pretty much the same kind of hookup you get when you use the iPod in the docking station. It's pricey (US$50) but works very well. You get a much "cleaner" signal than hooking into the headphone control unit.
Hey Aqua,
You are saying that the sound quality is better by going from the belkin port to the aux. port vs. going from the iPod headphone jack to the aux. port? I will have to try this. Is it noticably better?

Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
I have one of the older style 10Gig iPods, and I also noticed a big drop in volume, even after changing the setting on the head unit. I just pump the iPod's volume up a lot when plugged in to the car. I've also found that changeing the EQ setting on the iPod to Treble Booster helps a bit as well.

Eventually when I get a new style iPod I will get the Belkin adapter for the car, but right now the cheap way works best for me. :smile:

Old 03-09-2004, 08:47 AM
jblack73
Neutral
I believe that the newer Ipods with the docking port bypass volume controls when using the docking connection via the Belkin adapter/amp. I have the belkin with the setting around 1/2 way and the aux level at 3 and have the sound pretty much equalized between aux/radio/cd. Using the headphone line out is probably an inferior way to connect - but with older ipods, you may not have much choice. I highly recommend the belkin auto kit and tunedoc - easy and clean looking install.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
>>>>Also, I use the Belkin Car Adapter w/ a 3.5mm amplified output. Pretty much the same kind of hookup you get when you use the iPod in the docking station. It's pricey (US$50) but works very well. You get a much "cleaner" signal than hooking into the headphone control unit.
>>Hey Aqua,
>>You are saying that the sound quality is better by going from the belkin port to the aux. port vs. going from the iPod headphone jack to the aux. port? I will have to try this. Is it noticably better?

Sorry, been in Prague for awhile. yes it's much better, so long as you don't turn it up all the way (introduces distortion). I am finding that like jblack73 if I have my Belkin up about halfway, my AUX input level is 3 and it works great!

Old 03-20-2004, 03:43 PM
memojo
2nd Gear
How does the Belkin car adapter work? I can see it has a plug end for the cigarette lighter, and an end that enters the Ipod's docking port. How does it connect to the Aux port? Is there another cable included? Or would I have to buy and additional 3.5mm line with two male ends?

Old 03-20-2004, 03:53 PM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
That is it exactly memojo. You will have to buy another 3.5 cord both ends male. One plugs into the aux. jack and the other goes into the Belkin device. Don't do what I did, make sure your ignition is in the "on" position to get your iPod to play. Took me a bout 15 minutes to figure that one out. I thought the Cig lighter was always hot.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:08 PM
memojo
2nd Gear
Thanks, dgibb. I would have spent an hour before turning on the ignition. Even longer to figure out I actually needed another cable. Is the Monster cable a decent one?

Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
I don't know about the "Monster" cable. I just used a generic radio shack deal.
If I were to use a Monster cable I would pick the Creature from the Black Lagoon model.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Try using the dock with your iPod and run a line from the LINEOUT. You should get a better signal, but you'll have to figure out a way to mount/use it without it falling over. Shouldn't be hard. JR

Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
>>Try using the dock with your iPod and run a line from the LINEOUT. You should get a better signal, but you'll have to figure out a way to mount/use it without it falling over. Shouldn't be hard. JR

But that's just what the Belkin adapter provides, the 3.5mm powered LINEOUT. And, it's a lot cleaner than worrying about your iPod falling over. Plus, you're going to have to power it anyway, right?

I've seen the Belkin for US$39 online, search around.

Here's a pic of my install. Granted, the iPod isn't connected to the Belkin power, but it's a single cord. My AUX jack is installed into the interior left side of the left pillar tube, so it's a very short run to the Belkin unit sitting in the cigarette lighter.

Here's the AUX jack on the pillar: