Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2012 Mini Cooper S Harman/Kardon sound system upgrade

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
new2minicoop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mini Cooper S Harman/Kardon sound system upgrade

I just bought a 2012 Mini Cooper S w/ the Harman/Kardon sound system upgrade. My previous car was a 2002 BMW 3-series with the 12 speaker HK upgrade that included 2 tweeters, 4 midrange, 4 woofers, and 2 trunk-mounted subwoofers.
I'm somewhat of an audiophile, so in purchasing a new car, I wanted a good available sound system upgrade. I'm not one for aftermarket products as I just don't have experience with letting other people take apart my new car to put in components that may damage the vehicle, or just be over powerful and cause rattling. So, I just decided that I would buy a factory upgrade. Here's my assessment:
I thought that the 2002 BMW 3-series had a very good HK system. The bass was very solid; I'm sure it got down to around 27-32Hz range. They were trunk mounted, so it was obvious that the bass was coming from behind me, unlike the new 3-series that have the subs in enclosures mounted under the front/passenger seats (which I think sounds much better... I tested them out when I got loaners from the dealership). The highs, however, were lacking. I had no complaints with the midrange.
Now, onto the MINI HK. It's a 10 speaker, 480-watt (not sure if that's peak or continuous) system with no sub-woofers. It has 4 tweeters, 2 dedicated midrange, and 4 woofers. The system gets very loud, pretty much without distortion. The high range is much better than my previous BMWs. The MINI has better tweeters, and 4 of them vs. 2 on my last bimmer. The midrange is good, but sounds 'hollow' (I don't know how else to describe it). The midrange doesn't distort, but I think that it needs some tuning. The bass stinks. It's good the average listener, especially if you listen to bass-lite music like jazz. I like pop and hip-hop, and the bass is really lacking. It cuts off somewhere in the 40 or 50 Hz (my best guess... I didn't actually measure it). What that means is that lots of the best beats of hip-hop songs are cut off. The system would really benefit from a sub. The woofers haven't distorted on me yet (granted I've only had the car for 2 days), but they just don't have a wow-factor. Additionally, the housing of pretty much all the speakers isn't the best. They're all planted in the doors of the car, and though they are very solid doors, the doors still kinda vibrate when the volume is somewhat up. Overall, I'm disappointed in the upgrade. It cost somewhere around $900 to upgrade, which is the same price as the upgrade in BMWs, but you just don't get the hardware. The new BMW HK upgrades have much better speakers and have subwoofers. Would I do it again? Yes because, again, I'm not an aftermarket person, and it's all that mini offers. Hope this helps someone.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
Good review and I am sure helpful to those considering whether or not to click the HK System on their order sheet when they build their perfect MINI. I'll add my $.02, and for what it's worth, I am not an audiophile at all. I have the HK system and am very pleased. Yes it is more expensive, but well worth it for two reasons. First the base system is terrible, at least that's the consensus of most MINI owners on this board. Second, due to size limitations and equipment availability, upgrades are very difficult, at least that's what my son discovered when he tried to improve the sound of the base system in his 09 Clubman S. So even though it may be somewhat pricey and less than some would like, it's worth it, at least in my mind.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HK in my 2012 and really love it. I listen to primarily to house and drum'n'bass which is obviously very beat- and bass-heavy. My experience is totally opposite of the OP, in that the bass is almost overpowering, the polar opposite of "really lacking". I think I have my bass level set to -4 on average and it's ultra punchy.

I heard so many negatives about the HK, and I was kind of worried because of the music I listen to. But like so many other complaints I heard before I got my car, but I learned that most examples were either way overblown or simply non-existant. "Lack of bass in the HK system" is one of those examples.

J

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
I have the HK in my 2012 and really love it. I listen to primarily to house and drum'n'bass which is obviously very beat- and bass-heavy. My experience is totally opposite of the OP, in that the bass is almost overpowering, the polar opposite of "really lacking". I think I have my bass level set to -4 on average and it's ultra punchy.

I heard so many negatives about the HK, and I was kind of worried because of the music I listen to. But like so many other complaints I heard before I got my car, but I learned that most examples were either way overblown or simply non-existant. "Lack of bass in the HK system" is one of those examples.

J
I agree. The bass on the HK system is too heavy. I have mine down to -4 also and sometimes have to turn it down a notch. Im listening to mostly Chill, Progressive House and Progressive Trance.

Of-coarse I could be just spoiled with my new Polk SDA-2s I bought alos...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
new2minicoop
1st Gear
It really all depends on where you're coming from; all opinions about the system are relative. If I previously had a honda civic with a stock system, then the mini HK would be completely awesome. But, compared to my 2002 3-series, the mini's bass is lacking on the low end (below about 40Hz). My wife has the new X3 with the upgraded sound system (also cost about $900) with 16 speakers and 600 watts, and sounds infinitely better, in large part because of the two large subs under the front seats. To clarify, I am glad I bought the HK upgrade because I wasn't going to stick with the supposedly junky stock one and I also wasn't going to go aftermarket. But compared to my previous BMW's system, it's a disappointment. I'm just stating my last car's system as a point of reference, so readers can gauge my review. Again, if you're buying the mini having never had a decent sound system in your previous car, you'll likely love the HK.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks for that review. I'm sure the beemer system with more subs has more bass (doh). I've got the upgrade that was $500 in my 2007 (it wasn't called HK then). Disconcerting to hear it's now $900, probably for much the same stuff. I'm happy with mine, and like the OP I am not into aftermarket, especially in this car where the speakers are a bear to get to (from what I've read) and limited space. I will recommend waiting until the speakers are broken in to form your opinion. Someone I know does high end aftermarket work, and he says he always breaks the customer's speakers in before installation. Like continuous use for over 24 hours at moderate volume. My other recommendation is if you use an iPod only connect to the bottom dock, never the headphone jack (most people know this). The EQ on the unit will still be active.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Agreed - H/K better than stock. Stock stereo very poor for a car in this price range. If you have the time and skills, keep stock and upgrade.

For me I knew I wasn't going to upgrade... and in Canada the H/K is CAD$750. I am picky about sound but not really an audiophile and I am quite happy with the H/K. The base is a little too heavy and sometimes seems a little muddy. I have been turning down the base as well.

I have my eye on the "Integral Audio 1101S Subwoofer System" but can't really justify the price right now...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by new2minicoop
If I previously had a honda civic with a stock system, then the mini HK would be completely awesome.
If you previously had a four-speaker 1990-vintage Honda stereo, the base system is more than adequate!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
fergy016
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
If you previously had a four-speaker 1990-vintage Honda stereo, the base system is more than adequate!
After reading this I am glad my girl friend who has a '12 MCS on order who did not pick the HK sound system is coming from a '96 Accord. I am looking at the Integral Audio set-up for next Christmas if she complains at all about the sound system.

I am surprised to read so many posts about how good it is after reading how many people said they expected more and the salesman said it is not that big of a difference for the price.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
$900? I'm pretty sure I paid $750 and I just ordered my car last month. Did it go up? I'm not an audiophile so much, but I do love a good sound system. I also am not planning on going aftermarket (unless I add a stealthy 10" sub, but that'll be the most.)

Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mosey over to the audio section, and look at the Integral Audio threads.

The HK system boosts the low range at 100hz with a lot of drop off below that, and then there is the distortion from the rear 6x9 speakers when you try to play anything with bass.

I installed the IA sub and it's a lot better, but still needs work. I still think you need to just block the low frequencies from getting to the small speakers, not just lower the volume to them.

But anyway, the new (2010+) HK is worlds better than the stock system.

A lot of what you hear depends on what musical source you are using. Ipod and Sirius just suck. Find a real CD with a song you also have on a digital music player. (MP3, MP4, AAC, Sirius... whatever)

Que them both up with the same sound settings and have a listen. It's sad to think that really good sound is now going to die when they quit making cd's. Audio compression sucks.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for the Integral Audio Subwoofer. The difference it makes to the overall sound is huge. This is something you can add to the car yourself (its not that difficult, and I have never done anything like it before). It allows you to turn down the bass on the stock woofers, and let the sub fill in.

Its a matter of what you are used to. My other cars come with very premium sound systems that have subwoofers, and I am used to full sound with clean bass. I got that with the IA sub. Its only expensive if you havent seen or heard it. Believe me, it was designed for the MINI and installed, it only raises the floor of the boot about 2 inches. I can guarantee you if MINI sold this as an option, it would be twice the price.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
new2minicoop
1st Gear
how much is the IA subwoofer? on their website it says 900. is that seriously what they charge?
also, how does it connect to the HK?
Is there a separate volume switch that I have to clutter the dash with or does it get connected into the main volume control of the head unit?
Also, does it rattle? I don't really want my rear door or glass to rattle when the bass is up. Thanks for the recommendation

Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
how much is the IA subwoofer? on their website it says 900. is that seriously what they charge?
also, how does it connect to the HK?
Is there a separate volume switch that I have to clutter the dash with or does it get connected into the main volume control of the head unit?
Also, does it rattle? I don't really want my rear door or glass to rattle when the bass is up. Thanks for the recommendation
Yes it is expensive. But it includes just about everything you need to install.

Check out their website, there is a detailed installation guide that shows how it connects.

It has a separate volume control you can mount in the cabin.

The unit is secured in the trunk. I don't think it rattles. No idea if other parts of your car will rattle though...

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is connected to an HK system, and you get much more than just a subwoofer for your money. Besides the sub and the enclosure, it comes with a very high quality amplifier and all of the wires, connections etc. needed to do the install, including a new floor for the boot area that covers the subwoofer enclosure.
This is specifically designed for the MINI, and believe me, it makes the HK system sound 100% better. I thought it was expensive at first too, but after I saw the components, and did the install, I could see why they had to charge what they did.
There is no rattling , just solid bass. Its up to you how you set the controls, you could blow the hatch open if you wanted, but if you set it up properly per the instructions, it just provides a solid bottom end to the music and lets the HK speakers handle the midrange and the highs, which they are much better at than clean deep bass.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
new2minicoop
1st Gear
thanks for the heads up. i'll have to wait and save a bit, but it's on my list now

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
fergy016
2nd Gear
thanks for the heads up. i'll have to wait and save a bit, but it's on my list now
Same boat. Think this will be my gf's birthday present this coming up year. Just gotta save and see if she says the stereo sounds flat without much bass.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
The midrange is good, but sounds 'hollow' (I don't know how else to describe it). The midrange doesn't distort, but I think that it needs some tuning.
Well, just adjust the mid-range on the head unit...oh, wait, you can't.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
kdunn
Neutral
Harmon Kardon Questions

I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1) Is there a manual for the 2012 MINI Cooper H/K stereo?
2) Does anyone know the specs of the head unit, speakers and amp?
3) How can one quickly scroll through the artists on your Ipod via the H/K head unit?

Thanks much

Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1.) Yes, it comes with the car

2.) No, but you can call Kevin at Intergral Audio and talk to him about it.

3.) You really can't. Sorry...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
RDemo2
2nd Gear
I have not heard the H-K stereo but I have the stock model and I'd say it's very poor. I wish I would've gotten the H-K.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Abe_Froman
1st Gear
I have the HK in my '11 MCS and it is absolutely light-years better than the OE system I had in my '03. That may have to do with the R53 vs R56 differences, and I don't have any experience with the base system in the '11. But my $.02 is it's worth the $

Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Wahzel
Neutral
MCS w/out HK system

Just wondering if I buy a MCS without the HK system and do the IA upgrade would it not sound as good with the HK+?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pheatton
I agree. The bass on the HK system is too heavy. I have mine down to -4 also and sometimes have to turn it down a notch. Im listening to mostly Chill, Progressive House and Progressive Trance.

Of-coarse I could be just spoiled with my new Polk SDA-2s I bought alos...
Agree... Way to hard bass . Had to remove it all together...

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Wahzel
Just wondering if I buy a MCS without the HK system and do the IA upgrade would it not sound as good with the HK+?
IF you get the sub AND the sound stage, it should sound great. I just helped install this setup yesterday....Mind you he DID have the HK setup but after the new setup it only keeps the rear speakers from the HK system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio 2012 Mini Cooper S Harman/Kardon sound system upgrade