Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio GPS with way points?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GPS with way points?

I am totally new to GPS. Bought a little Garman 255. Seems to work.
BUT. Is there any unit out there that allows putting in lots of way points?
One, because I may choose a more scenic route, and two, for when we do club run around twisty back roads. It would be really slick if I could put in an entire route.

I found it pretty convenient mounted off the left side of the speedo. Only blocks a couple of warning lights. Any other places you have found it good to mount?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, route planning is available. My Garmin Nuvi 1450 has it.

Do you see a "route" option after selecting "where to"? I add can new start or end points turning the previous points into "way" points. I can also edit a saved route.

Mine has a 5" screen and hides the upper half of the speedo quite nicely.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 AM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same model, mine's a 255W. I mount it on the cup holder on the glove box tray. Perfect viewing angle, if you don't mine the tray open.
(also out of site then not in use.)

I've tried to add "waypoints" to my routes, to find the more scenic or twisty routes. It is a bit tedious. You can research map software that let's you download routes you've created online. Should not be that tough.

Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 255 doesn't support custom routes. You can select 1 mid-way point between you and your destination, but not much more than that. You can plot addresses ahead of time and one by one as you arrive at them select a new one. But no real easy way of stringing all the points together. For twisty backroads, a GPS can be tricky to setup to get it to follow specific roads. You need one that supports custom routes.

If you check Garmin's site, on the Specs tab, you see the line item that says "Routes" and it shows a zero. Here's the 255 page, you can see it shows a Zero in Routes.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...=true#specsTab

You want a GPS that has a number here other than zero. Easiest way to find Garmins that do this is to go to Garmin's site and select "Multiple-Point Routing" from the features list on the left hand side of this page.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

There are some other models that support routes besides those 14. Be sure to check the Specs tab for ones that say they handle "Routes".

Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
jnoll
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mount my Garmin with the suction cup mount on the upper right side of my speedo. Blocks the fuller portion of the gas gauge and the high end of the speedo, but that's not a problem. I wish there was a way to put more way points in the 255W.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I just got the new Garmin 3790t. Pretty cool, thin and is loaded will all kinds of cool stuff. It can do up to 100 routes and hold up to 1000 favorites categorized however I want them to be.

It also is voice activated and works really well. The one thing I have found with my old Nuvi660 was that I couldn't hear it very well in the Mini. The 3790 has a powered speaker built into the mount, it's really small but powerful. Nice addition to the GPS. It looks and feels like an ITouch and matches the interior of the Mini perfectly, with the shiney black screen and chrome trim.

A little on the expensive side, but for my needs I love it. Now it's time to mount the IPad to the speedo for movie night!!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
I am totally new to GPS. Bought a little Garman 255. Seems to work.
BUT. Is there any unit out there that allows putting in lots of way points?
One, because I may choose a more scenic route, and two, for when we do club run around twisty back roads. It would be really slick if I could put in an entire route.

I found it pretty convenient mounted off the left side of the speedo. Only blocks a couple of warning lights. Any other places you have found it good to mount?
Have you tried putting in more than 1 waypoint. Some of Garmin's other models that don't support routes will let you put in more than 1 via point.

Try setting your destination, then select Where To, pick the next furthest place before the destination, enter that and try another via point. See if it will let you add more than 1. I've heard the 265w for example does this.

Another option is using custom POIs along the route you want. You would number them sequentially and as you drive along you have to select the next one. Not very handy really when you're driving. Almost need a copilot to handle the navigating when doing this type of method. Best option is to use a device that supports routes.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 08-15-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Garmin 755. Use MapSource for laying out our club's custom routes and post the gpx files for others to use. We are currently testing a conversion to the TomTom format (I'm not hopeful but we're trying).

As for mounting, I have CravenSpeed mount and put the unit at about a 1:30 position.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I am sticking with the 255w. After downloading the owners manual off the WEB ( cheap bastards did not include it) it will actually do way-points. Not easy, but it will. Lots of other features I did not know about.
A good place to mount is tough. I don't want to block the warning lights in the speedo and sure don't want it on the glass. It looks like I need to carve out a little wedge to glue to the dash just of the right of the speedo on the rear edge. That would put it within reach, good view below the sight line and not blocking much. I am in the air if I should run a power cable up inside the dash or just let it charge at home and plug in only if I run it down on a long trip. I have no idea how the dash all comes apart.

It sure does get confused sometimes. Had me go the wrong way once and was convinced I was not on MD 32 west of Laurel when I was. 2010 map and 32 has not changed in 10 years. It kept telling me I was on 32 when I was on 97 passing 32. This is the first one I have ever used, so I am not accustomed to their "features" in Microsoft speak. Pretty amazing little box actually. I sure would not pay what MINI wants for one built in.

BTW Best buy, big discount store. Charges full price. Some discount. Search the WEB.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
In glove mount

I use the left cup holder circle in the glove box for a mount.

It is the perfect viewing angle and is out of sight when not in use.

Only downside is having the glove box open when in GPS mode.

Fair trade-off as far as I'm concerned.

Motor on.