Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 05 R53 With Boost = Alpine??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 PM
RTCH
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 R53 With Boost = Alpine??

So - I have the boost system and would like to upgrade my door speakers since one side is blown . I am looking at the polk audios , but was wondering if any parts from the HK units from the same years would work in my car? The amp in the back passenger side says Alpine on it. Is the HK am a direct fit? Would i need a different (HK) Head unit to go with it? do all the base systems in the MINI's come with alpine parts?

Any insight into the diffrences in the boost system and the HK system is greatly appriciated

Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Based on your post, I think you have a base (non-HK) stereo with an aftermarket Alpine amp. The factory MINI stereo comes only in a base version with no external amp, or HK version with an HK amp in the rear. They both use the same Boost headunit.

HK is an integrated system where the HK speakers are designed to be used only with the HK amp and vice versa. For example the HK speakers have no crossovers (which are built into the HK amp), and are 2 ohm impedance (which is uncommon). So, no you should not try to mix and match HK components with standard components unless you are swapping out the entire system.

Considering that you have an Alpine amp, it was probably part of a larger system upgrade and you may very well find that your speakers were already switched out to aftermarket. In any case if you have a blown front speaker, replacing it along with a possible upgrade would be the right approach.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM
RTCH
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Based on your post, I think you have a base (non-HK) stereo with an aftermarket Alpine amp. The factory MINI stereo comes only in a base version with no external amp, or HK version with an HK amp in the rear. They both use the same Boost headunit.

HK is an integrated system where the HK speakers are designed to be used only with the HK amp and vice versa. For example the HK speakers have no crossovers (which are built into the HK amp), and are 2 ohm impedance (which is uncommon). So, no you should not try to mix and match HK components with standard components unless you are swapping out the entire system.

Considering that you have an Alpine amp, it was probably part of a larger system upgrade and you may very well find that your speakers were already switched out to aftermarket. In any case if you have a blown front speaker, replacing it along with a possible upgrade would be the right approach.
It has BMW on the amp aswell - it is small and behind the light in the rear quarter panel - I am going to go take a pic since it has stoped raining and ill post back in a few min - It is deff from factory

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
RTCH
2nd Gear
OK so here are the links for the two Pics showing the BMW/ALPINE amp in my r53 - ONE & TWO

This is not the amp everyone gets?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
That's very interesting. No, it doesn't look like a regular factory amp from MINI. Can you get the part number off of it (probably covered by the bracket). Chances are that you should just replace your front speakers.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:10 PM
RTCH
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
That's very interesting. No, it doesn't look like a regular factory amp from MINI. Can you get the part number off of it (probably covered by the bracket). Chances are that you should just replace your front speakers.
Wow really? To me this is the best place to come for awnsers about my MINI So, where can I go to get more info on what this set up is that my car has ?? When I got the car it has the original window sticker in it and it does not list any kind of upgrade to the stereo ... It states Combo #4, 1 & 2 . Also the car has all the stock speaker grills . I would really like to learn more about my baby

Edit : I will go get the bracket off a little later today I hope and post the part number *thumbsup*

Last edited by RTCH; 06-20-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: moreinfo
Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM
RTCH
2nd Gear
Also what is in this area if most people dont get this amp? Is it empty like the driver side?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Are you sure that is not the factory installe Sirruis radio reciever? It is in the right spot....

Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Are you sure that is not the factory installe Sirruis radio reciever? It is in the right spot....
Good call! It looks just like the diagrams in the Sirius installation instructions: http://motoringfile.com/howto/sirius...er_install.pdf

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I see some pinkish purple in one of the plugs on top. ...Might be the Sirius antenna plug...? ("FAKRA", or whatever thay call that plug?)