Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Should I replace my head unit, & systems questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am ready to do my stereo system. But I just can't decide
if I should keep my stock unit, or buy an new deck that plays
MP3's. Everyone seems to want the aux imput, which I have...but why do it
if I just buy a new deck? Seems a little easier this way.

1 more thing, as anyone putting sub boxes in the boot?
I want to run a pair of 10's, or a single 12" or possibly a pair of 12" subs.

I really haven't read about anyone dound this.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:18 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have HK? If so, changing the HU is tough.
Otherwise ... esthetics and gadgets!
A new HU might look worse if you can't match the interior ... might have lots of nice gadget/features (like MP3 playback as you say) ...
And down the road if you want an amp, a new HU might have RCA outs for better amp connectivity.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:43 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
I went with the new MP3 player form Alpine myself. It's a lot more useful to me than the portable MP3 player.

If your looking to keep some of your space in the boot, I would suggest a JL Audio stealthbox just for the MINI as it takes up about a third of the space. It has a single 10 inch that provides more bass than I ever expected. It sounds great and is "stealth" as my pic will show.

You could search for the "AMPLIFIERS...which are the best?" thread for more info. on this type of upgrade. :smile:

Pooky Junior '03 MCS Dark Silver/White, anthracite, leather, Club "MINI" stereo system, all 3 pkgs. Arrived on 06-19-03!
"Party over here!"

Old 09-30-2003, 01:27 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I am ready to do my stereo system. But I just can't decide
>>if I should keep my stock unit, or buy an new deck that plays
>>MP3's. Everyone seems to want the aux imput, which I have...but why do it
>>if I just buy a new deck? Seems a little easier this way.

This depends on how many MP3s you listen to. I have nearly none so I replaced my head unit with a better sounding CD player- Nakamichi CD-400.

http://www.carreview.com/CD,Receiver...3_2861crx.aspx
Product Specifications
* 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
* High-resolution preamplifier circuit
* Ultra low-noise and distortion levels
* Highly linear signal transmission
* 47W x 4 channel power amplifier
* Triple-band tone controls
* Illuminated push buttons
* Switchable Green or Amber LCD Display allowing for four different color combinations

Looks like the stock HU but has a much better CD player with no nonsense no gimick approach. I still had aux input so I added an RCA cable and placed the five foot long cable on my euro parcel sheft. If I have an MD player, Apple ipod, portable DVD/CD player I just hook up the cable and play it.

>>1 more thing, as anyone putting sub boxes in the boot?
>>I want to run a pair of 10's, or a single 12" or possibly a pair of 12" subs.
Subs are really common to put into the boot as a custom enclosure or with commercial boxes like the infinity Basslink or JL stealthbox.

>>I really haven't read about anyone dound this.
Read on.
>>Any opinions would be great.
Here's the cost- sure you can put one or more subs in the boot. The bigger the sub the bigger and more expensive the amp. One sub- one amp, two subs two amps. Big subs? then where are all the amps supposed to go- pretty soon no more space in the boot. See Pooky13 has two Zapco amps stacked in the boot floor with a panel that fits over it with the JL stealthbox over the amps and to the left.

Here's my solution:

Xtant 4.4 Four channel x 50 W amp. two channels bridged together (200W) drive the JL stealthbox in the boot, two channels drive MB Quart front door pair of midrange/tweeters, Rear MB Quart 6x9 speakers powered off the Nakamichi CD-400 head unit. 20 square feet of Casade Audio VB-Max sound deadening material in the front doors. The one 10" sub works great with the amp and headunit, I have sub output controls from the deck, plus I can control front speakers from the amp using Active resonance control.
http://www.xtant.com/html/products/xtant4.4.cfm

Some other subs in MINIs
Home made boxes x Two 12" sub boxes

or A single 12" with custom enclosure

Or the USD sub enclosure for MINI
http://www.usdaudio.com/products/mini.php
It is available with in a number of subwoofer configurations, starting at $300.00.
* Constructed with hand laminated fiberglass cloth. No inferior Chopper Gun layed fiberglass. The USD Mini enclosure has unsurpassed enclosure rigidity because of it's construction.
* Power handling can range from 100 watts to 300 watts.
* The USD Mini enclosure comes in either 1 ohm, 2 ohm, 4 ohm or 8 ohm configurations.
* Model Name: USD Mini
* Color: Ultra Black - paintable to any color of your choosing.
* Fits: 2002-Up

Old 09-30-2003, 01:36 AM
minihune
And info on the JL stealthbox
http://www.jlaudio.com/press/SB03_Intro.html
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/minicooperD.html

Our Stealthbox™ solution for the Mini Cooper delivers solid bass performance while preserving as much precious hatch space as possible. The Stealthbox™ installs on the driver side and is contoured to permit access to the seat release latch and the 12V power port. A single 10W3v2-D2 subwoofer driver is slot-loaded into the corner of the hatch to maximize bass impact while also shielding the subwoofer driver from loose cargo. The enclosure does not impede access to the spare tire in the Cooper or the battery in the “Cooper S” model and leaves plenty of space for amplifier installation.

SB-MIN-COOPD/10W3
Fits: 2002-Up Mini Cooper
Power Handling: 300W Continuous
Driver: One 10W3v2-D2
Final Impedance: 4 Ohm Mono
Mounting Location: Installs in driver side rear cargo area

Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 AM
minihune
Some subs from Roadfly's galleries
10" Crystal audio with 1000 watt amp in a fiberglass enclosure. unpainted and painted- Nice

Old 09-30-2003, 05:58 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Just an FYI: the Alpine head units that can be switched to amber colored buttons are a perfect match for the amber color in all of the MINI's guages and buttons when lit at night. Looks like it was made for the MINI.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:08 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
the "stealthbox" isn't that stealthy is it,, it look liek liek a deformed heap of carpet.. too bad I actualyl use the trunk on the miniI'd never fill it with a speaker, but then again, I dig treble!

Old 09-30-2003, 06:38 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
If you’ve not seen this you might want to check it out.

The link below tells how it was put together.

http://www.phase-linear.com/html/mini_cooper.html

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Thanks for all the images guys. I love that red fibergalss box!

I think I am narrowing down my decision.
I am going to go with an Alpine deck. I have had them in the past, and if the color matches that well, I am going for it. Does it have the ability to run from the sterring wheel controls?

I am not sold on the Stealth box. My friend is a custom installed for Manufacturer's demo vehicles. For $300, I can have him make me a beautiful custom box.

I am used to big systems. A single 10" sub won't be enough. I would need at least a 12" sun or a pair of 10's. I use my Boot a little, but not for hauling anything.

I saw this, a single 12" sub. Took up a little less than the boot.

I have a pair of new Alpine 5 Channel amps that I could use to run everytihng, but I am leaning towards going with 2 Fozgate 4 channel amps (500 & 1000 watts) to run the system.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:29 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Here is another picture of it. It is actually about the size of the stealth box. And it looked great! The amps were mounted on the floor. Could have done a better job of that in my opinion. But the box was painted to match the MINI.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:01 PM
minihune
That is alot of amp power and alot of subwoofer power for such a small car. You will be rocking (my son says my stereo hurts his ears- he's 12) I don't doubt it. I have high end hearing loss from working four summers in a pineapple cannery each summer. What?

Also- for those who autocross or go on the track. Serious audio/video systems need tons of clean power and big magnets for speakers and lots of speakers to boot with enclosures. This mean WEIGHT- so this is all counter productive to performance unless you add gobs of engine power and torque- just something to keep in mind when getting great sounds/video.

Cheers-
You have a great plan
My Nakamichi deck can also change from green to amber in four different ways to match the dash colors or contrast.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:58 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
I must put in my 2 cents about the stealth box. I love it. I dont know how loud your used to, but the stealthbox is pretty damn loud. Almost as loud as the 3 10w6's in my old accord. And thats being powered by the same Soundstream 5 channel. The only thing it lacks is the REALLY deep bass. The other thing nice is that it comes out easily. I autocross regularly, so that was pretty important to me. I've gone through a lot of systems, and I must say, although not the loudest, it is one of the best sounding subs I've had. I think the only thing I liked better were the 4 10w1's I had years ago in my old Cadillac.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:29 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Minimac, just make sure the Alpine you end up with can switch button color from green to amber - not all of them can. And personally I think the black faceplates match the MINI dash much better than the silver ones do.

Also, as long as the deck can be controlled with a remote, you can use the SWI-X device to control it from the steering wheel buttons. There have been many threads on this device - a search will find them for you. I use it and it works great.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
nfo
6th Gear
do you guys know of anyone who has had success adding a amp and stealthbox to the H/K system with a stock head?
i may be ordering a '04 very soon and want to weigh out my options as i'll probably have to wait a while for the stealthbox and may be content with the H/K until i can save enough cash to do it! thanks!

Old 09-30-2003, 10:20 PM
minihune
>>do you guys know of anyone who has had success adding a amp and stealthbox to the H/K system with a stock head?
>>i may be ordering a '04 very soon and want to weigh out my options as i'll probably have to wait a while for the stealthbox and may be content with the H/K until i can save enough cash to do it! thanks!

You can PM Pooky13, about that. She started with the stock head unit then later switched it out. Kept the HK speakers but added two amps and the JL stealthbox. It can be done.

Minimacs picture of the custom 12" sub is actually wider than the JL stealthbox. You can see from how far across the rear seatback how things will fit. The subs can be large esp if there are two so you will loose space in the boot. Also with the battery at the bottom of the rear boot shelf in the MCS there are heat issues about putting the amp on the boot floor. You'll need some circulation or those amps will run hotter than needed.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
>>>>do you guys know of anyone who has had success adding a amp and stealthbox to the H/K system with a stock head?
>>>>i may be ordering a '04 very soon and want to weigh out my options as i'll probably have to wait a while for the stealthbox and may be content with the H/K until i can save enough cash to do it! thanks! :smile:

Scooterboy,

Remember I have the model below yours (CDA-7897alpine head unit), well it doesn't light up amber. Your does as you mentioned, DARN! :smile:

Old 10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
MiniMac
4th Gear
I have a plan. The amps are not going be be mounted to the floor, or to the seats.

I am building a new amp rack to replace the shelf. It will house the amps, and lift up just like the shelf does when you open the boot. Should look nice!!!
And it will keep the amps Cool.

I don't do much racing, unless 0-60 counts.

My friend Scott is AMAZING! His systems are in magazines all the time since he does them for manufacturers and Project Vehicles.
The MINI is a cool project for him. He is excited about it.
And my other friend, Rob can paint it. Here are a couple links to
some of their demo vehicles.

Olin Designs Tahoe
Nomad

I will be sure to post the pictures once I get it finished.

Old 10-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Donald
Neutral
Thanks for this information and already check with this site of JL Audio of the suctom made mini sub box but cannot find any link to buy or order, any you show how to buy?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2003, 08:39 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
As far as I know, you can't buy it online or direct from JL Audio. You must purchase it from a Car Audio Shop like I did. You can probably get it installed for free if you make a deal with the shop. :smile:

Old 10-13-2003, 11:11 AM
minihune
>>As far as I know, you can't buy it online or direct from JL Audio. You must purchase it from a Car Audio Shop like I did. You can probably get it installed for free if you make a deal with the shop. :smile:

Yes this is correct. Only certain places will want to order it and you use your charm to get a good deal. Both Pooky13 and I had our whole systems done at single shops so a package deal helped a bit.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:05 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is how we worked two Diamond Audio TDX 10's into the boot. The car was used this year as a Diamond audio show/demo car and the instal lwas done by Traffic Jammz in Sherman Oaks . Ther are more photos on the attached link to my home site.
Page Title maxmini audio page

Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
dirt4dinner
Neutral
I was hoping to get my question answered while surfing this thread but I didn't find the exact answer.

I really like the way my stereo sounds (H/K system in an '03 MINI). However, my stock deck is skipping CD's like crazy and it needs to be replaced. How can I replace the deck, but keep the stock amp and speakers working...as well as the steering wheel controls? If it can't be done, I will move onto plan B...but I am hoping I can just pop a new deck in there with some magical harness and rock on with the stock amp and speakers. Your help is MUCH appreciated! I have stumped the local stereo shop that has done work for me in the past.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can just get another MINI deck and it will plug right in. In fact, if you get one of the 2005+ decks, it will even play .MP3 discs.

There were three different head units in the first-gen MINIs. Yours is the early version (volume **** is about the size of a pencil eraser, and is fairly smooth).

Starting sometime in 2005, the second version came out. It looks pretty much like yours, but the volume **** is slightly larger and is fluted/knurled.

The third version came out in late 2006 and looks much different from the two earlier versions. The volume **** is much larger, and most of the buttons are in different places and are round instead of rectangular.

The first two versions were made by Alpine, while the third version was made by Siemens. They're all compatible and interchangeable.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Cudda_Kine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMac
I am ready to do my stereo system. But I just can't decide
if I should keep my stock unit, or buy an new deck that plays
MP3's. Everyone seems to want the aux imput, which I have...but why do it
if I just buy a new deck? Seems a little easier this way.

1 more thing, as anyone putting sub boxes in the boot?
I want to run a pair of 10's, or a single 12" or possibly a pair of 12" subs.

I really haven't read about anyone dound this.

Any opinions would be great.
H
Thanks.
I found that you can fit a JL audio w3 in a H.O. Box perfectly. And you could hide the amps under the box and still fit the huge box, lol.

Btw, I'll be selling my whole h/k setup soon if anyone wants to buy. The headunit, all the speakers, and the amp. Pretty much the whole system lol.