Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to access the tech settings on the NAV??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 01:47 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember awhile back someone posted a way to access the setting menu the tech uses on the NAV by holding down a button/buttons. Does anyone recall how to do this? Me and a fellow MCO'er are trying to reset the voice back to the british woman.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Nevermind, figured it out.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:22 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
I like to confuse myself with the French setings. Make sure you have the menu structure memorized if you don't know french.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
ok come off with the info ants!

LOL

How do you do it?

Old 09-23-2003, 02:57 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Yeah Ants, now that you got my curiosity, you have to tell us how to do it.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:01 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Go to the settings menu...then hold down the menu button for five seconds, and.......viola! You have the tech settings! However I dont see any option in there to change the country code, so I guess Im outta luck.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Xanthus
tyty

Old 09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Xanthus
Ok so what are the benefits of the listing of your car color and liscence plate in those settings?

Old 09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
I am guess police and EMS tracking? I dunno. Did you fill em in?

Old 09-23-2003, 05:57 PM
jfaber
Neutral
I'll be picking up my 04 MCS DS/B in about 2 weeks. My girlfriend and I rented a car from Hertz recently which had Neverlost...their in-car navigation system (Magellan) that's bolted to the dashboard. We were in Atlanta for the first time and we LOVED IT! I'm so glad I decided to get the NAV in the MINI.

Will the voice of my NAV have a British accent? I understood that the CD NAV's featured this...what about the DVD?

What other things can you mess with in the service menus?

Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
From what I understood, the voice was only available in American English now...something about the British woman's voice being too distracting to some people...

Old 09-23-2003, 07:04 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
>>I'll be picking up my 04 MCS DS/B in about 2 weeks. My girlfriend and I rented a car from Hertz recently which had Neverlost...their in-car navigation system (Magellan) that's bolted to the dashboard. We were in Atlanta for the first time and we LOVED IT! I'm so glad I decided to get the NAV in the MINI.
>>
>>Will the voice of my NAV have a British accent? I understood that the CD NAV's featured this...what about the DVD?
>>
>>What other things can you mess with in the service menus?

Don't get your hopes up on your NAV system being like the Neverlost. Neverlost is MUCH better. The interface on Neverlost is much more intuitive, plus I've found that the Neverlost has much better coverage.

Neverlost is by Magellan, MINI Nav is by NavTech.

I like my Nav system, I'm glad I got it. But I too was expecting it to be more like Neverlost and I was disapointed by it.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
NavTech is the provider of map data. And, they are considered the most superior provider of data and is most likely the supplier of map data to the Neverlost system as well, as they are in most, if not all, car nav systems. Magellan is simply the company that manufactures the hardware and perhaps the software as well. It's really how the software capitalizes on the map data that determines quality of routing etc. I thought BMW uses hardware from Alpine, correct?

There is a thread on the other forum that describes how to get that British voice, I found. Apparently, you downgrade to a specific firmware version that suprisingly had one major flaw. It actually resets everyone's MINI to country code 44 (UK)! You then upgrade the next version, the next, etc. in series until you get to the most recent version. I guess it takes some time, but if you really want it, you can do it by yourself. Just DL the firmware and burn to CD.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Where can I get the firmware?
I just got my MINI today and I REALLY want a british voice instead.
Damn, I wish you could just enter a code. Silly marketing people.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Where can I get the firmware?
I just got my MINI today and I REALLY want a british voice instead.
Head over to the Interior and ICE Forums on MINI2. There is a thread regarding the lastest Nav Firmware there. Follow the instructions exactly to make the disk to place in your car.

I don't recall anybody there mentioning that the firmware upgrade resets the voice. However I have heard that upgrading the firmware in this manner will do the following:
You will no longer see the MINI logo screen when you get in the car...
If you didn't see the safety "nag" screen whenever you start the car(the one that says the driver shouldn't enter data while driving) before the upgrade you will see it every time after the upgrade.

Your best bet is to see if your dealer will go into the system and reset the country code to (UK44). This is a change the dealer only the dealer can do, there is no way for you to do it yourself. Some dealers know how to do this and will do this for you, others will not. I do know that MINI of Sterling won't do this...

Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
My nav would crash and reset when I was using the Information menu. They upgraded the nav software to 18.2, and my british lady was gone :evil:

Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 AM
bbmykal
4th Gear
The "reset" is a common problem after you have disconnected the battery. You only need to go back into the menu and select GB or English as the language.

NO NEED TO RELAOD THE NAV SOFTWARE!

Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
When I got my car about 13 months ago, the dealer forgot to order a map disc and I had to drive home with a non-working Nav. It drove me nuts, so I played with the settings and ended up changing the country code to GB - with no way to change back to US! I didn't realize it at the time but that's how I got the british female voice. Just recently I had some Nav issues and the dealer flashed the new firmware in and did a reset - it fixed most of the problems but I lost all my saved destinations and now I have this annoying nasal american female voice. The dealer refused to change it back - they said the female voice was the cause of my problems! I complained to MINIUSA to no avail...

I never use the voice guidance anymore - so dissapointing... Maybe someday I'll find another dealer who will change the counrty code for me - and replace my defective map disk...

Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The "reset" is a common problem after you have disconnected the battery. You only need to go back into the menu and select GB or English as the language.

It depends, many vehicles built after Jan 03 and delevered in the US, do not have the option for GB or English as the language. The option is English or Espanol, with no way to select anything else. In which case the only way to get an English accent is to try and convince the dealer to change the country code to UK44.