Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2009 Nav-equipped MCS Voice enables entire iPhone address book!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:48 PM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 Nav-equipped MCS Voice enables entire iPhone address book!

All,

I've been reading the stories in this group about how the car will sync a phone's address book but that you still have to manually voice-tag a sub-set of contacts for in-car voice dialing.

Just got my 2009 MCS with Nav, etc. and went out to start doing the manual voice tagging. Didn't work. Then on whim I tried dialing contacts that were sync'd from my iPhone 3G's address book. It worked!

"Dial (name from phone's address book)" and it worked from a random 10 contacts (even stores I have programmed in). In fact, the car splits up multiple phone numbers per contact into a individual listings such as "Smith Bob (H)" and "Smith Bob (W)" and I could dial them by saying "Dial Smith Bob Work" and it got it!

Color me impressed and thoroughly happy

In fact, aside from the time delays in switching Sirius stations by voice, I really am impressed with how well the system is working. I like being able to say "Sat radio preset 5" and it changes (after a small delay).

Happy Motoring to all!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I love it too on mine. The mini is deemed the best voice recognition car I have ever been in. I have been in Mercedes, Lexus, Land Rover and you always have to repeat yourself and then a lot of times it still doesn't know what you said. The mini I hardly ever have to repeat what I said and it always figured out what I wanted versus saying "sorry I didn't understand". The Nav system which I call the technology package because it is not just a $2000 navigation system it is way more and well worth it.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Add in the graphic display from the PDC and the Nav just keeps providing added features. Love it! Also noticed that the car (voice reco system) has a male voice and the Nav guidance has a female voice. Nice touch so you can tell the subject of the voiced alerts just by the voice. The only thing I miss from my '06 MCS (with Nav) is the british voice, but I'll cope.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gadgeTT
All,

I've been reading the stories in this group about how the car will sync a phone's address book but that you still have to manually voice-tag a sub-set of contacts for in-car voice dialing.
But only for Non-NAV cars. And there are other very bad limitations to it, like the voice tagged phone number and name can not be in the contact list for some types of phones.

Originally Posted by gadgeTT
Just got my 2009 MCS with Nav, etc. and went out to start doing the manual voice tagging. Didn't work. Then on whim I tried dialing contacts that were sync'd from my iPhone 3G's address book. It worked!

"Dial (name from phone's address book)" and it worked from a random 10 contacts (even stores I have programmed in). In fact, the car splits up multiple phone numbers per contact into a individual listings such as "Smith Bob (H)" and "Smith Bob (W)" and I could dial them by saying "Dial Smith Bob Work" and it got it!

Color me impressed and thoroughly happy

In fact, aside from the time delays in switching Sirius stations by voice, I really am impressed with how well the system is working. I like being able to say "Sat radio preset 5" and it changes (after a small delay).

Happy Motoring to all!
Yes voice control for NAV Cars is pretty good.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
But only for Non-NAV cars. And there are other very bad limitations to it, like the voice tagged phone number and name can not be in the contact list for some types of phones.
The voice dialing without any setup is dependent on the phone. Some do it, some don't. My old Razr does this and works very well with the car! I have Nav. There was no voice dialing setup needed. It's not even enabled or setup on my phone either.

I completely agree on the other comments. I hardly ever have to repeat myself, even with the window down. I'm impressed how well the voice recognition works. And the fact that it can decipher my phone book entries without any setup.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
The voice dialing without any setup is dependent on the phone. Some do it, some don't. My old Razr does this and works very well with the car! I have Nav. There was no voice dialing setup needed. It's not even enabled or setup on my phone either.
I thought that it was based entirely on the phone too- I had my references all set to explain it that way. For months the only report I had that didn't match the pattern was someone with an iPhone that had trouble getting it to work.

A few people in a row posted that it didn't work as they expected, and after going back through all the reports I could find; I have yet to find an instance where someone had a Nav system and had to make manual tags, or a non-nav that did not need tags setup.

I keep meaning to go to a local club event and ask around to test with my phones, but I haven't been able to get to one since then. If somebody has evidence to the contrary, please let me know!