Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Anyone tried using AUX and USB input seperately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
mteahan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried using AUX and USB input seperately?

I have my old ipod plugged into my '08 NAV equipped MCS, but was considering adding an after market HD or XM radio. Has anyone tried to use a usb stick in the port and a different device in the aux input? Will the radio see it?

Another option is a remote switch to toggle devices.

Just thinking out loud. Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:46 PM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Haven't tried it, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. They are seen as separate devices by the cars computer.

In an ipod hookup the usb is only there to charge i think.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by geekswrath
In an ipod hookup the usb is only there to charge i think.
Also for operation from the radio and MFSW, so an iPod really does use up both ports.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
ninja_van1sh
2nd Gear
wait what? nav equipped have a USB port?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
mteahan
1st Gear
Doesn't everyone have one? Right next to the HDMI port and optical out.

; p

No, I only mentioned the nav because I don't know if it handles the song data differently.

I have been looking to see if sat or HD radios anywhere had USB ports for working with notebook computers, though, in hopes that it could interface with the ICE system in some way. Otherwise just waiting to see if someone will ever get around to hacking the bus for mods that seem to be pretty standard on the BMW's.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by mteahan
I have my old ipod plugged into my '08 NAV equipped MCS, but was considering adding an after market HD or XM radio. Has anyone tried to use a usb stick in the port and a different device in the aux input? Will the radio see it?

Another option is a remote switch to toggle devices.

Just thinking out loud. Any ideas?
The aux input is only for audio, like for an mp3 player or Sirius radio receiver. The USB will acquire the iPod database and charge it too, but it won't play music from it.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried to use a usb stick in the port and a different device in the aux input? Will the radio see it?
when an iPod is connected via the special Y-cable, the audio system's selection choices are "tuner" "cd" and "iPod"

when the iPod is not connected the choices are "tuner" "cd" "USB" and "aux"

I'd say- without having done it- that there's no problem connecting a USB flash drive and another device (sat) via the aux simultaneously and being able to select between them through the audio head unit.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
mteahan
1st Gear
With my ipod connected (it's an old mini I had gathering dust) it shows the USB/AUX option instead of the Ipod listing. Removing the stereo plug kills the sound, so it appears to use the USB for control and the AUX input for sound.

Seems odd that a USB drive would work and that sound wouldn't go through the USB for the ipod. Seems that the sound doesn't pass through the USB, though it can be accessed as data from a computer. Since the Mini can access the song data via USB, it seems odd they would also access the songs themselves.

Odd seems to fit lots of things with this Mini. Good thing it's a blast to drive.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
ninja_van1sh
2nd Gear
wait so do we all have usb ports? lololol

Old 04-25-2008, 02:09 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Seems odd that a USB drive would work and that sound wouldn't go through the USB for the ipod. Seems that the sound doesn't pass through the USB, though it can be accessed as data from a computer. Since the Mini can access the song data via USB, it seems odd they would also access the songs themselves.
By default, iTunes stores songs in Apple encrypted format. Only a very few head units (such as the Alpine iDA-X001) read digital song files directly from the iPod and have a license from Apple to decode them. Otherwise, the only other way to play music from the iPod is through its analog outputs. iPod does not have digital audio output.

Originally Posted by ninja_van1sh
wait so do we all have usb ports? lololol
USB port only comes included with the Bluetooth option.