Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to: Build an iPod dock in your cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to: Build an iPod dock in your cupholder

The R53 MINI did a lot of things very well, however music connectivity was not one of them. Solutions like the Dension ICE:Link and later the DICE or OEM iPod adapter filled this void, but were aesthetically disappointing. This led me to try and build an iPod integration that was both functional and had a pleasing OEM look to it. In May of 2004 I came up with The R53 iPod dock.

You will need the following parts to build the dock using these instructions.
1) Your favorite iPod control device (ICE:Link, DICE, OEM adapter)
2) An iPod dock that you don't need, or an iPod dock adapter
3) A sheet of 2.0mm thick ABS Plastic - (Plastruct) - Available at most hobby shops
4) A plastic bonding agent - (Plastruct Bondene) - Available at most hobby shops
5) A variety of cutting and sanding tools
6) A zip-tie
7) Fast drying ABS epoxy
8) Patience

The first thing that you will need to do is fashion the dock itself. Remove the cupholder trim from the car. Looking at the bottom of the trim piece, there will be about six tabs on the inner ring of each side of the piece. They are meant to hold the rubber grips for the cupholder. You will need to remove these tabs from one side of the trim piece. The easiest way to do this is by simply cutting them off with an X-acto knife. Then just sand them down to get rid of any rough edges. You will also need to cut the rubber grip piece in half so that it only works on the side that you will not be utilizing for the iPod dock

Next, you will need to cut a circular piece of ABS to fit the spot that was left behind by cutting out the rubber grip. This will be the support for the dock. It should fit pretty snugly between the cupholder trim and the cupholder.

If you are using an iPod dock, as I did, you will need to disassemble the dock using a spudger. It is tedious work and I would recommend using one of the iPod dock adapters instead. Just find the one that fits your iPod at the online Apple Store.

Using an x-acto knife (or the cutting tool of your choice) cut a hole in your ABS circle that is slightly smaller than the recessed area of your iPod dock adapter. Using the plastruct bondene, bond the dock adapter to the ABS circle following the directions on the bottle. I recommend using a small c-clamp or similar tool to keep the two pieces together while you are working on them.

Using your favorite sanding tools (you can pick up a set of small files at home depot), sand down the lip on the ABS circle to the same size as the recessed area of the dock adapter. This process will take quite a while, so be patient. Once you are happy with the blending of the two pieces give it a once over with some fine grip sandpaper to get out any imperfections and scuff it up for some primer.

Now is a good time to prime and paint the top of the dock. You will not need to paint the bottom since it will be hidden from view. Make sure to let the paint dry completely before moving on.

In the next step, you will attach the electronics to the dock. Your iPod control device should have come with a dock cable. There is most likely a set of tabs on the side which lock the dock cable into the iPod. Since this will impair the function of the dock, they need to be disabled. Fortunately, you can do this with a small zip-tie. Wrap the zip-tie around the dock cable, squeezing the two tabs together.

Next, test the fitting of the dock cable through your newly fashioned dock. If it does not make a connection, you will need to file down some of the plastic on the top of the dock cable. This is just a trial and error process to find the right amount of plastic to remove.

Once you are happy with the connection, you will need to attach the dock cable to the dock. Sand down and clean both pieces to promote adhesion. This is where the fast-drying ABS epoxy comes in. You can try attaching the dock cable to the dock using the plastruct bondene, but you will still need to toughen it up with the epoxy. Be generous when attaching the two pieces, because a strong bond is needed here.

Once the epoxy has dried and you are happy with everything, it is time to fit the dock to the cup holder.

If you have not already installed the iPod adapter, ChiliCooperMark has a good write-up here.

The main difference between the standard install and this one is the placement of the dock. You will need to run the cable from the dock connector to the iPod adapter.

Start by drilling a hole in the back side (closest to shifter) of the inside of the cup holder that is big enough to pass the dock connector wire thru. It needs to be on the shifter side of the cup holder in order to facilitate the wiring path.

The best thing to do is run the wiring under the carpeting. The extra padding will help avoid pinching the cable. Run the cable from the opening in the shift well under the carpet to the hole in the carpet noted in the photo above. You may need to use a wire coat hanger to lift the carpet enough to get the wire thru.

Once the wire is thru, hook everything up and test it out before putting the dash back together. Troubleshoot any problems that you have, put everything back together and enjoy your new iPod dock.

Feel free to PM me or post any questions that you may have.

Last edited by COOP310; 07-22-2008 at 08:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mini.ray (07-13-2017)
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks

This is what I've been looking for for my iPhone. (I had the same iPod as in your pix on a tuneflex. The whole thing got stolen when I left the care unlocked while camping with the boy scouts. )

Here's my question, however: given the stiffness of the MINI's ride, is there enough support for the iPod to prevent mechanical forces (torque) from breaking either the dock or the connector on the bottom of the iPod?

I ask because I used to keep my old dock (before the tuneflex) in the upper cupholder (I called the metal parts a roll cage) and the dock's solder joints got totally broken after only a month.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jdmarino

Here's my question, however: given the stiffness of the MINI's ride, is there enough support for the iPod to prevent mechanical forces (torque) from breaking either the dock or the connector on the bottom of the iPod?
I drove around with this dock for 3 1/2 years with no issues whatsoever, including 2 trips to the Dragon and plenty of episodes of driving "way to fast" according to my wife.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM
cabrown
2nd Gear
Great "how to."

Can we get this man a sticky?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
looks great, very clean

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicely done.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by cabrown
Great "how to."

Can we get this man a sticky?
Agreed - done.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Jason C
4th Gear
Thanks for this! I always thought this was the best looking solution. Did you ever sell the one you made?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason C
Thanks for this! I always thought this was the best looking solution. Did you ever sell the one you made?
I did. I still have parts from another one that I was working on. I am trying to figure out something for the R56. Sadly the OEM one is my only option right now.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmarino

This is what I've been looking for for my iPhone. (I had the same iPod as in your pix on a tuneflex. The whole thing got stolen when I left the care unlocked while camping with the boy scouts. )

I ask because I used to keep my old dock (before the tuneflex) in the upper cupholder (I called the metal parts a roll cage) and the dock's solder joints got totally broken after only a month.
Yes this is a very nice job. I have been looking for somthing for my iPhone also. But I wonder if an iPhone will stay in there since they are heavier than an iPod. What do you think?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Yes this is a very nice job. I have been looking for somthing for my iPhone also. But I wonder if an iPhone will stay in there since they are heavier than an iPod. What do you think?
It worked great with my iPhone. For the 3 or so months that I had both the iPhone and the R53 anyway.

I also used a 3G, 4G, and iPod mini with the dock.

I assume that since it worked with the iPhone, that it also works with the touch.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by COOP310
I did. I still have parts from another one that I was working on. I am trying to figure out something for the R56. Sadly the OEM one is my only option right now.
What you going to do with the parts that you where working on?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Does anyone sell a dock connector cable that has a car charger & 3.5 audio cable as one unit? I currently use a car charger and 3.5 audio cable into the aux input jack, and sit the ipod in my cupholder, but I would do this if I could find such a cable. Don't want to bother with the OE MINI ipod, or Dice setup.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Belkin sells a dock connector charger that has a 3.5mm output, then you can just use a small 3.5 to 3.5 cable to connect the 3.5 output to your aux. I did that for quite some time before getting a DICE.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Cool, I'll check into that, thanks.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
SUGGESTION:

Drill a hole for the AUX input as well into the base of this dock. That way you can easily plug any AUX stuff there as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Dawger101
1st Gear
Macally Docking, Charging, and FM Transmitter

Or you could buy one of these from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGQK6I

I bought one for my iPod Touch, it hasn't arrived yet, but I will let you know how it works out.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
I am going to use these

Originally Posted by Jahmills
Does anyone sell a dock connector cable that has a car charger & 3.5 audio cable as one unit? I currently use a car charger and 3.5 audio cable into the aux input jack, and sit the ipod in my cupholder, but I would do this if I could find such a cable. Don't want to bother with the OE MINI ipod, or Dice setup.

This is the cable I am thinking of using to install in my R56. Not 100 % sure it will be this cupholder or the Kuda mount with a ProClip holder that mounts up on dash left of Speedo and right of air vent.

http://www.etronics.com/p-14866-kenw...ect-cable.aspx

To charge I think I will use this.

http://www.antonline.com/p_9767-PWRJLTB-NX_484951.htm

Will use cig plug for now, but may take the charge apart and hard wire and hide the charging circuit behind dash.

Coop310 , thanks for the great how to . Looks really clean , neat and professional. Sweet work !

Last edited by Hubs; 05-29-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM
waltermb
2nd Gear
Hay Dawger did you get the device you found on amazon and could you tell how it worked out. for those of us not as handy as Coop--this is the answer. unless Coop would build and install one in my car in Atlanta--name your price lol!!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
What you going to do with the parts that you where working on?
Originally Posted by waltermb
Hay Dawger did you get the device you found on amazon and could you tell how it worked out. for those of us not as handy as Coop--this is the answer. unless Coop would build and install one in my car in Atlanta--name your price lol!!
I have a spare one just lying around somewhere (minus the electronics). It is sized to an 3rd Gen iPod 15GB which is bigger than most of todays devices, so it should fit pretty much anything. If someone wants to make me an offer on it, just let me know.

I also have some spare parts to an ICE:Link, but I am not sure if they work, and I don't have an R53 to test them in. Let me know if anyone needs anything.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 PM
jrprich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jahmills

Here you go

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Audio-I...7191022&sr=1-1

Direct Audio Input From iPod Dock Connector to RCA Cable

Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
OK...how does one remove all those parts? I know about the screws in the bottom of the cup holders, but my MCS '06 still had too many plastic parts all intertwinded together to remove any of them.

Pictures? Hints?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
This is exactly what i have been looking for. Im actually building the same thing for my VW jetta right now that will be molded into the ash tray instead of the cup holder. But plan on getting another MINI soon and so this is exactly what i was looking for.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
yeah after reviewing this DIY again i would really like more pictures of the adapter plate and how it fits, i have the wiring part down but i would like to see the other side of the finished dock if possible. I have a universal dock i was going to mount there and just plug the cable into the back of the dock but i dont know if that will work. I think from what i read you just "glued" for lack of a better word. The cable to the apple dock so that its actually plugging directly into the cable just through the dock. Help me out here understanding it.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
OK...how does one remove all those parts? I know about the screws in the bottom of the cup holders, but my MCS '06 still had too many plastic parts all intertwinded together to remove any of them.

Pictures? Hints?

Thanks
The 06 had a different center console than the 04 (which was not connected to the e-brake plastic trim). For the 04, you would remove all 4 downtube screws, remove the two in the cupholders, pup up the shift boot, pop up the mirror/heater control by pushing it out from the bottom (that's why I say to pop out the shift boot) and unscrew the two screws under the mirror/heater control. After that you should be able to lift up the console and remove the downtubes by sliding them out the bottom.

Again this is for the 04, I am sure that the 06 only has a couple of more screws in the rear half. Most likely one in the cupholder and maybe two near the e-brake or possibly under the e-brake boot.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: Build an iPod dock in your cupholder