Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth compatibility list

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 AM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the BlackBerry 8110? My BlackBerry 7100 works (although it doesn't synch), but I am considering an upgrade.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vinnieKC
Does anyone have experience with the BlackBerry 8110? My BlackBerry 7100 works (although it doesn't synch), but I am considering an upgrade.
Since it's an updated version of the 8100 Pearl, I'd imagine it would work. Checking my lists and again on NAM and Mini2 I didn't find any specific references for it or the other 2.0 versions (8120 & 8130) either.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 AM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Since it's an updated version of the 8100 Pearl, I'd imagine it would work. Checking my lists and again on NAM and Mini2 I didn't find any specific references for it or the other 2.0 versions (8120 & 8130) either.
Thanks. That's sort of what I thought, but I've learned that it never hurts to ask -- especially on NAM. This is one knowledgeable community.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 AM
veryvintage
Neutral
Does anyone know if the Sidekick 3 works?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a search (along with looking at this thread) and couldn't find out if my Samsung sgh-707 would work with the bluetooth in the 08 Mini.... anyone have this phone or know if it works?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
I did a search (along with looking at this thread) and couldn't find out if my Samsung sgh-707 would work with the bluetooth in the 08 Mini.... anyone have this phone or know if it works?
I haven't found anything on it either, it's a Sync, right? I find lots more results on Google with SGH-A707, but still no dice on any Mini Bluetooth compatibility.

For what it's worth, I've gathered everything I could find and put it into a matrix of what's been reported over as a Google Doc spreadsheet. I'll keep it updated as I find/become aware of stuff.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 PM
taligator
6th Gear
I have a Cingular 8125 (which is an HTC, predecessor to the Tilt) and it's Windows Mobile 5.0.

It works like a charm. It was recognized immediately by the phone, phonebook works, voice recog works, etc.

Now, as I have just set it up I do not know if it has any long-term issues.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Skeletool
1st Gear
If you want to find out if your phone is going to work with your car go to www.phonescoop.com, and look up your phone. Under the Blue Tooth lisitng, make note of the types of Blue Tooth your phone uses. Then look up phones that are approved by Mini and do the same thing. If your phone and an approved phone match, then your phone should work with your car.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 PM
veryvintage
Neutral
great info skeletool...

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skeletool
If you want to find out if your phone is going to work with your car go to www.phonescoop.com, and look up your phone. Under the Blue Tooth lisitng, make note of the types of Blue Tooth your phone uses. Then look up phones that are approved by Mini and do the same thing. If your phone and an approved phone match, then your phone should work with your car.
Er... Not exactly- the Bluetooth version is separate from data compatibility. Bluetooth itself is only the communication link between the two devices. They still need to be compatible software-side.

For example, take the Motorola V3 (fabulously R56 compatible, the MINI PDFs don't even show any known issues, unlike most of the other "compatible" phones listed) compared to the Treo 755p. Both use Bluetooth v1.2; one works perfectly and the other will kill the R56 MINIs Bluetooth module in about two months.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Of course, for my fabulous smart-*** example, Wikipedia says the V3 is v1.2 and Phonescoop says v1.1.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't found anything on it either, it's a Sync, right? I find lots more results on Google with SGH-A707, but still no dice on any Mini Bluetooth compatibility.

For what it's worth, I've gathered everything I could find and put it into a matrix of what's been reported over as a Google Doc spreadsheet. I'll keep it updated as I find/become aware of stuff.
Yes it's a Sync. I assume it would work though because it does work with my new dell laptop....

And thanks also for the info! As soon as I get my mini (crossing fingers for this weekend...) I'll update and let everyone know if it works or not, and if it does, to what extent the compatibility is.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 AM
DCCOOPER
1st Gear
The Bluetooth version that originally shipped with the 755p is v1.2. The Centro uses Bluetooth v3.3a. If you are a Sprint user with a 755p, the latest Sprint update will update the Bluetooth stack to v3.3a (same as the Centro's).

If there are MINI owners successfully using the Centro, then a 755p running Bluetooth 3.3a should work without trashing the MINI's Bluetooth module.

To find out which version your Treo is running, go to Bluetooth, then hit the Menu button, then "About Bluetooth Manager"

Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
fupac133
3rd Gear
I have the LG VX8800. The Bluetooth works but I am unable to download my contacts.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DCCOOPER
The Bluetooth version that originally shipped with the 755p is v1.2. The Centro uses Bluetooth v3.3a. If you are a Sprint user with a 755p, the latest Sprint update will update the Bluetooth stack to v3.3a (same as the Centro's).

If there are MINI owners successfully using the Centro, then a 755p running Bluetooth 3.3a should work without trashing the MINI's Bluetooth module.

To find out which version your Treo is running, go to Bluetooth, then hit the Menu button, then "About Bluetooth Manager"
Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? I think you might be comparing the hardware spec (v1.2) with the version of the software software stack (v3.3a)

The latest version of the Bluetooth spec available is 2.1, at least that I know of. From what I can gather, the OBEX Bluetooth profile is used for address book transfer, which doesn't look like it's changed since 2001 (on page three, it doesn't direct link apparently...)

I'm betting that the address book info itself is handled outside of the spec itself (via more generic containers) and is more or less left up to the implementer to handle the inner workings. All of that blabbing to say: I personally wouldn't base what would or wouldn't work on the software version, since there's some doubt (to me, at least) on whether the internal workings of the address book is even included as part of it.

If there's someone out there who's got a handle on it, it'd be nice to know for certain.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Well, looking a bit more, the OBEX spec references the SYNC spec for the format of the address book data, which then references the v2.1 vCard spec; so the address book format is defined. The synchronization itself is the bit that's left for the device to implement per OBEX 5.1, assuming that I'm reading it correctly.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Treo 700wx and other Windows Mobile 5 cell owners may be interested in this thread for a link to some information on software that seems to clean up Bluetooth support.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
ILv2Xlr8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8
Anyone try a Motorola V3xx (AT&T)? Will the V3 cradle fit the V3xx?
Anyone know what the differences between the different versions of the Razr V3 are?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8
Anyone know what the differences between the different versions of the Razr V3 are?
Wikipedia has a pretty decent run-down on them, they all seem to feature the same USB Mini Charger, and out of all the reports I have yet to see one of a RAZR that didn't work for all features of Bluetooth. The major differences listed are cell network compatibility, firmware, and processor and UI improvements.

It's a safe bet that, as far as R56's are concerned, they're the same.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 PM
njrsey
Neutral
LG CU500V

doesn't work well at all, doesn't sync.

avoid this phone with the mini bluetooth...

Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Thanks njrsey,

Could you elaborate a bit? Can you at least make or receive calls?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
njrsey
Neutral
LG CU500V Bluetooth with Mini (AVOID!)

Thanks njrsey,

Could you elaborate a bit? Can you at least make or receive calls?

Ah, sure thing. The LG CU500V will actually connect, but it will not receive the contact list. This causes the phone to go into a repeating "connect/disconnect" loop, beeping all the way. The beeping phone errors cause the phone to continually repeat the message: "Error receiving data". I can make calls while it is actually connected, but the communication through the bluetooth just disconnects shortly after, and takes another minute or so to reconnect. This has actually caused the phone speaker to "crash". By crash i mean that the phone speaker no longer works until the phone itself is restarted.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Thanks- a very definitive no, then.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Some interesting info posted over on MotoringFile, just in case it's of any interest:

MINI will be launching a new connection aimed directly at the iPhone and other smartphones for 2009. The option (code named 6NF) will be available on September ‘08 builds. It will connect a smartphone using the phone’s digital USB port for the connection, instead of an analog connection like that MINI currently offers with the 6NE Comfort Bluetooth. This provides quicker response time and offers clearer sound when playing MP3s.
Of course one thing to keep in mind is the armrest is mandatory for this option due to the connection (which as you guessed it is in the armrest). You’ll also need to purchase a separate snap-in adapter from MINI for your specific phone. And yes we are told MINI is planning to expand supported phones for 2009 - the iPhone obviously being one of them.
No word on retrofitability, but it's something anyways.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
joecooper1
1st Gear
I'm looking for some help with Voice Dialing.

I have the Blackberry Pearl and have completed the BT Pairing. No problems making or receiving calls and the address book name shows on the Audio display, so I'm assuming this is what people consider "Phonebook integration". When I try to use the voice dialing, the voice says my phonebook is empty. Do I need to record each name through the MINI to create a database for voice dialing? I was hoping the voice dialing would be similar to the Blackberry's which didn't require any voice training for each entry...

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Bluetooth compatibility list