Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Problem with real time traffic... please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
devmode
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with real time traffic... please help

I just got 2008 Cooper S with navigation....Love the car and the nav but I don't see the option in settings for traffic info...

Can somebody please tell me what is the problem....I am pretty tech savy but cannot figure it out..

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try looking under Navigation, rather than Settings.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
devmode
Neutral
I did but nothing there either.. According to the manual it is under settings and then traffic info... I see the option in the manual but it does not exist on my screen.. Maybe mini factory forgot to configure it...

Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you get any traffic info? To check, go to the Nav map display, click the joystick once to the right which will put you on the menu on the top right hand side of the display. now twist the joystick clockwise a few times until you highlight the icon that looks like a triangle. Press down on the joystick to select it. That is the traffic icon. There should be "stuff" (traffic, accidents, construction...) listed.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM
devmode
Neutral
I did that but there is no triangle looking icon. There is one with arrow which gives direction of travel or map facing north....

Old 01-08-2008, 12:42 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
There is a website somewhere, that gives coverage maps for the traffic information. It comes over FM Radio. If you have a "TI" on the bottom middle, there's a radio station broadcasting the info to your car.

I've noticed mine only warns you of something in your way, if you have a destiination programmed... maybe the newer ones are different. Mine is a late production 2007.

MINI has a manual of the coverage somewhere...

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
See this link. It will tell you if there's a radiostation in your area that is providing this service. Some cities aren't equipped yet

http://www.realtimetraffic.net/

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
BUT, it doesn't matter whether or not there is a station in your area or not, you will ALWAYS have the triangle menu item on the Nav map displays. If there is no info in them, it doesn't turn red, and when you select it, there is just nothing in the list.

But he should at least see the menu item. You must not have in programmed in the car for some reason. Do you have the Hifi radio? And does traffic only come with HiFi?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
devmode
Neutral
I do have Hifi radio but there is no triangle..seems like they messed up in configuration during installing it... I will call the mini dealer and see the service guys...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
On the r56 with nav, load up a map screen, like display facing north or something, At the bottom it should have the letters "TI" which means traffic info. That means you're in a location that provides those services.

If you dont' see that, you might be out of range of the nearest radio station broadcasting, or you aren't in a area that has this. HOWEVER the triangle should appear, the system will just tell you: currently no reception, if there is no traffic service in your area. I've seen that on my car before, when I'm way out in the sticks. lol

I will take a picture for you, of what to look for.

edit: posted the pictures. the first one is a list of traffic info in my area. the second, shows the TI at the bottom, and the triangle that is spoken of, which you can click on to see the traffic accidents, construction info. etc.

birdman: I think traffic info is part of the navigation system. and from what I've experienced, the triangle will only turn red, if I have a destination programmed, and there's an accident in the route the computer planned. otherwise it just stays the color you see in the pics below.

another edit: here is the link from the BMW USA site for RTTI (real time traffic info) metro area coverage: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...aCoverage.aspx
i think that link is a little better than the one I originally posted.

Attached Thumbnails Problem with real time traffic... please help-photo-3-.jpg   Problem with real time traffic... please help-photo-5-.jpg  

Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 01-15-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 PM
devmode
Neutral
thank you for the detailed info... I have taken it to the dealer and they were also surprised about it. I will let you what the outcome is.....

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM
VOID*P
1st Gear
Any news from your dealer?

I just picked up my 2008 MCS with Nav on Friday night and it had the same issue - no traffic options at all.

I spoke with my MA and was told to talk to the service department. Service said that I needed an additional module that I didn't purchase and that it wasn't available after the car was built.

So, I spoke to the sales manager and he agreed with me that the nav system is supposed to have the integrated traffic without the purchase of an additional module. He is now trying to track down where the service department got the information they told me and if there are any service bulletins about this issue. He said he had not heard of this problem before.

So, is there any news from your dealer on this problem? What dealer were you working with? Perhaps mine, Irvine MINI, could contact yours for more information.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
mpascual
Neutral
Any Info?

Was wondering if anyone has heard from their MA or Service Manager on this issue.

I also picked up a MCS last week with the NAV and didn't have the traffic settings/options. I guess I have had the same response at the dealership as everyone else: They (Westchester Mini) are trying to track down with Mini what the issue could be as they have never seen this before.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
VOID*P
1st Gear
My MINI spent the day in the service department at the dealer for this issue.

I was given good news and bad news. The good news is that a field service engineer at MINI confirmed that the company is aware of the problem. They currently know of 5 other cases across the country - 2 in Long Beach, CA and 3 on the East coast. The bad news is that the attempts to reprogram my system had no effect. MINI estimates another 3 weeks to troubleshoot the problem and come up with a solution.

At least they don't want to keep my car as a debugging environment. I'll get it back tonight and wait to hear from them.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
gregggreg
Neutral
I just picked up my new Mini Cooper '08 yesterday and I'm having the same issue. No Traffic Info option in the Settings and no TI in the Nav screen. And I'm in San Francisco, which is supposed to have traffic coverage. I will contact the dealership and see if I get a different response. Hopefully they'll figure out a fix since the traffic info was one of the key features that I wanted with my car.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM
VOID*P
1st Gear
I'll be following up with my dealer in the beginning of March, giving them and MINI the 3 weeks requested to further research the problem. gregggreg, if your dealer tells you they haven't heard of the problem, feel free to let them know about mine at Irvine MINI.

I am curious to know if anyone has received an '08 with a nav system that has working traffic information. Of course, those without the problem are unlikely to look in this thread.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 PM
gregggreg
Neutral
Also today I figured out that my voice command button on the steering wheel doesn't work. When I push it nothing happens, there is no noise or icon on the nav indicating that I should speak my command.

I don't know if this is related to the traffic info not working or not. Does anyone who doesn't have the traffic info working also not have their voice command button not work either? Anyway, going to add this item to the call to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
VOID*P
1st Gear
My voice command button is working fine.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregggreg
Also today I figured out that my voice command button on the steering wheel doesn't work. When I push it nothing happens, there is no noise or icon on the nav indicating that I should speak my command.

I don't know if this is related to the traffic info not working or not. Does anyone who doesn't have the traffic info working also not have their voice command button not work either? Anyway, going to add this item to the call to the dealer tomorrow.
My MCS was delivered in May 2007 with voice activation not working. Traffic info did work. A software upgrade fixed the voice activation.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gregggreg

Make sure that you are holding the button long enough to recieve the signal.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Got my Clubman last saturday. No traffic info on mine either. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
mpascual
Neutral
Just updating this thread with some new info. I received a message from my dealership last week saying that there is a bulletin out from Mini regarding this issue with the 08 Coopers not having the traffic info. Apparently, there is a software issue that is occurring when cars are ordered from the factory. No fix yet, but Mini is aware and working on it. Has anybody else heard anything similar?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 AM
devmode
Neutral
Update: I finally got my car back from dealer last night. The car was with them for four weeks . According to them the problem is with the new 2008 mini cooper software codes. Initially they got the codes from MINI but they did not work. So a TC directly from MINI was involved and they fixed the real time traffic problem. As far as the voice command is concerned, they still could not fix it because there is a discrepancy with the hardware installed. I have to go back in two weeks to to see if they have an answer.

There is a problem with few 2008 real time traffic and voice command. Mini is aware of it and there is a bulletin out for it to resolve this issue.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 AM
gregggreg
Neutral
devmode- What dealership did you take it to? My car is at my dealer right now and they say they don't know what the problem is. Perhaps my dealership can contact yours to ask them what the fix is.

Getting voice command working is not a big deal if I have to take it back to them in a few weeks to fix it, I am OK with that.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
VOID*P
1st Gear
Got my MINI back from the dealer yesterday and they fixed the real-time traffic information by reprogramming the system. Woohoo!

For those who might still be experiencing this, there is a bulletin from MINI with instructions on how to fix. Here are the details from my service report:

CAUSE: RTTI WAS INADVERTENTLY LEFT OUT OF THE VEHICLE ORDER
6100811 Programming/encoding contorl unit(s)
(with CAS)
1262 WM
FC: 6510101800
PART#:
COUNT:
CLAIM TYPE:
AUTH CODE:

3232 RTTI WAS INADVERTENTLY LEFT OUT OF THE VEHICLE ORDER PERFORMED REPAIRS PER SIM 65-03-08. SUBMITTED PUMA CASE 16435812. OBTAINED NEW VO (VEHICLE ORDER) AND ADAPTED TO VEHICLE. PERFORMED COMPLETE ENCODING. DEFECT CODE 65 10 10 18 NA LABOR OP 61 00 811. CHECKED VEHICLE FUNCTION; REALTIME TRAFFIC INFO NOW AVAILABLE.
Now, I don't really know what all that means, but I think there are codes in there that identify the bulletin and other information that you could share with your dealer should they not be aware of the problem.

Also, I find it interesting that the report says the RTTI was inadvertently left out of the vehicle order. I didn't think it was possible to order the navigation system without it. It certainly wasn't an option on the configurator.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Problem with real time traffic... please help