Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio About to abandon MINI because of Hi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
MVanDam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to abandon MINI because of Hi-Fi

After two and a half years of loving my MCS, I'm considering moving on to other cars solely because of the new Mini HiFi system. While the HK was not phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination, I actually enjoyed it. On test-driving the new MCS however, I was REALLY disappointed by the sound. While driving, I didn't know if it was the stock or the hifi, and I was hoping it was stock. Unfortunately, it was hifi.

With two hours of commuting a day, sound has become pretty important to me. Mini needs to step it up in the stereo department. Any thoughts on other "hot hatches" with better stereos? I'm considering the Volvo C30, but it seems more than a little boring... Or is there anything in the works at Mini that might change my mind? I know there are aftermarket solutions, but I'm not a DIYer and I've had bad experiences with install shops in the past.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radios are much cheaper than cars.

Many of us have phenomenal stereos in our 2007 MINIs. Just get the MINI and upgrade the stereo yourself.

If the radio is the most important thing in a car to you well... you should be shopping for radios not cars.

Read the sticky on upgrading your speakers.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 10-28-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree. Have a custom sound system installed in your MINI. Don't give up a great car because of a radio!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I've got a kick a** 1979 Honda Civic I'll sell you with some serious audio equipment in it. You'd be right at home.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
bradchatellier
3rd Gear
Don't be ridiculous. Aftermarket is the way to go for a quality sound system. If you've had a bad experience with an install shop before just do a little more research on where to take your business to.

For the financial hit you'll take selling your Mini and buying another car, you could probably put in enough aftermarket stereo equipment to blow out a regional competition (okay, I'm embellishing a bit here but come on).

My advice: There are lots of people here at NAM who know lots about audio installs. Tap this knowledge base, and do a little research in your local area where to go for a good install, and you'll have a great audio experience on your commute whithout dumping your Mini to get it.

Bottom line: Ditching your Mini for another car because of the stereo is a really bad idea.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:05 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
I think the OP is contemplating buying a new car to replace the MCS he/she currently has. They test drove a new R56 and very much disliked what they heard. For this reason, they are considering a brand other than Mini to replace their car.
Personally, if i had that long of a commute, i would not be looking at a mini.

If you look at other cars, try to find one that you can easily replace the head unit. (or rather, have someone else replace the head)

I got the HiFi, was disapointed, and ended up replacing it all. Actually, i did not replace the rear and am still using the amp to drive them but i have the stereo faded to 9 out of 11 toward the front.
I wish i did not get the HiFi BUT i do not know what it would have been like to add aftermarket to a non HiFi because i dont know what/where the wiring spool would be and how to get a remote turn on lead....
(i did not look into these things)

Good luck!
What manufacturer does the Mark Levinston stereo? that probably sounds good?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kookmyers
What manufacturer does the Mark Levinston stereo? that probably sounds good?
Lexus

Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Mark Levinson, is a division of Harman Kardon and Lexicon....As is JBL, Infinity, Logic 7, Margi, QNX and Becker...

Mark Levinson just happens to be the premium audio choice for Lexus...

Just as Harman Kardon and the Logic 7/Lexicon studio setup is used in BMW's and Mercedes

By far the greatest sound system I ever heard was in my grandmas's A8 L W12 with the Bang & Olufsen. However a good friend of mine has a Lexus LS 600h L with the Mark Levinson Reference System and it's fairly comparable.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
My stock system sucked. I finally broke down and had a custom system installed by top-notch professionals. Wow what a difference. I love it.

JL Cleansweep OEM audio interface with digital eq
Hertz 6.5" component speakers for the doors
Audison 5 Channel Amplifier
Kenwood Excelon 10" Shallow Subwoofer
Kenwood Excelon 2-way 6x9's

Custom subwoofer/amp enclosure in the boot with false floor

Dynamat sound deadening throughout

Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
You don't need to go nuts to get a gain. That being said-
I listen to my hifi in the r56 pretty loud, and I was VERY IMPRESSED for a stock stereo. The only problem is when you turn the bass up or anything like that, it will distort. This is true of many stereos. I love my mini, have an RF 360.2, Focal Speakers, etc. Would I go that crazy for an upgrade? No... I've read the stock output (pre-amp, i took the hifi amp out) and its PRETTY flat. You don't need a fancy device to correct it. Get an Audiocontrol LC6i or something like that, some DECENT amps, and decent speakers... I have focal polyglass, they drop in to the stock location pretty much, but any decent aftermarket speaker would do. You don't have to go with top notch to get better sound. Oh and be careful if you have hifi and the wiring, the tweeter and the mid are wired together. Run a new tweeter wire and use the existing wiring, and you should be good. BTW- the hifi speakers are pretty good quality, butyl rubber surrounds and such. Anyway. Buy one of my sub boxes lol they work.

Have fun,
Josh

(PS- I do this for a living)

Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It truly is a disposable society!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
my main problem with the hifi was the clipping at the high frequencies. I'd be listening to a female vocalist and crack crack. UGH!
it really bothered me. my bass was set at 0 or 1 and i think i had treble at 1 or 2.
it did get a little better when i faded the stereo to the rear a little bit.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
CC
3rd Gear
And what would be the purpose of this thread? Why on earth would anyone ask a Mini forum about other "hot hatches" when there are hundreds of other non-Mini forums with less partial information to offer? Sounds like a troll to me. Just my opinion...

That said, Cadillac's Bose system sounds good as a stock install.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:30 PM
MVanDam
Neutral
OK, I know that sounded trollish...

But I'm actually not.

Look, that post was absolutely excessive, and I apologize. I'll probably get the new Mini when my lease is up on my 05 S, but I was frustrated by the steps backward taken by the new one in the audio area. Not totally a deal killer, but frustrating, none the less.

Thanks for the advice -- I could probably do the Focals. But I really don't like sinking $1000-plus extra into a car I probably won't keep more than three years. That IS a fault of Mini, and no matter how much I love my current Mini, I will be at least test-driving a few other cars (and checking the stereos) to see if I could live with (and hopefully enjoy) any of them.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kookmyers
my main problem with the hifi was the clipping at the high frequencies. I'd be listening to a female vocalist and crack crack. UGH!
it really bothered me. my bass was set at 0 or 1 and i think i had treble at 1 or 2.
it did get a little better when i faded the stereo to the rear a little bit.
I've noticed the same thing. In particular, I've been listening to Feist's "The Reminder" in the car a lot during the last few weeks, and the cracking was awful. Even with the H/K system, I knew the problem was with the speakers rather than the recording, because I was playing the CD itself, not a low-bitrate digital file.

Then, I noticed the same cracking/breakup noises even with my headphones and earbuds (although not as bad as in the car). Finally, I went out and got a pair of Shure earphones, and they sound great - no breaking up or cracking noises at all anymore.

Feist has a gorgeous voice, but it sure plays hell with speakers!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
$1 a day for good audio? Doesn't sound too expensive ...

My wifes BMW sound system is not bad for a stock system - nothing like as good as my GP, but I spent around $5K total to upgrade it.
But that still makes my GP $36K compared to her $50K car ...

There's a lot of cars out there. If the stereo is more important than looks or handling, I've seen Ford and VW adverts pushing their stereos.
I've seen MINI owners switch to non-MINIs and be happy ... I've also seen them come back again.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
I've always been a little confused over the audio situation and what's available from MINI. There is the stock, 6 speaker base setup, correct? Then there's the 10 speaker HiFi setup, correct? Is this the same as the HK setup?

I personally went with the basic stock unit, changed out the front speakers to Focal K2P's. Built a sub box back in the boot where the tire tools were. Added two JL Audio amps, Dynamated both doors and added a JL Audio Clean Sweep to the stock radio. Total for installation was $1100 which included the Clean Sweep, Dynamat, wires, fuses....etc and the labor. (which was a lot) I had my own speakers, subs, sub box, and amps. So the total was around $2000, but these are pretty much top of the line components, amps and sub.

This install required removal of both seats, carpeting, door panels and window cassettes, to get to the outer skin of the door. Definitely not a DIY for an inexperienced installer.

It truly is a shame that car manufacturers get away with the crap that they try to pass off on the consumer as "HiFi quality".

I would have rather ordered the car without any sound and not have to pay for the removal and replacement. However with all of that said, I wouldn't trade my MINI for any other car around right now and I surly wouldn't make my decision based on something that is so easily rectified after delivery. If you're requirements are for audio, forgo the sports/performance packages, go simple stock and put the savings into a sound system.

MVH.02

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 11-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Sounds like a good price / system

The HiFi system in '07 MINIs is not much like the HK system in earlier MINIs. Both have a separate amp to the head unit, and tailored speakers, but that's about it ... the HiFi system is more like the DPSM (dealer-install) option.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Sounds like a good price / system

The HiFi system in '07 MINIs is not much like the HK system in earlier MINIs. Both have a separate amp to the head unit, and tailored speakers, but that's about it ... the HiFi system is more like the DPSM (dealer-install) option.

I wish the HiFi was like the DPSM. It's not even close to the HK. I wouldn't have poured so much money into the stereo if it had been. Of course now my system makes the DPSM sound like "sparkomatic"

Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Sorry - I meant as far as the implementation / wiring concept goes, it's more like DPSM than H/K.

My DPSM in GPMINI is also significantly improved with the subwoofers I added

Old 11-02-2007, 07:05 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
ahh ok!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MVanDam
I'll probably get the new Mini when my lease is up on my 05 S
If you lease your car, choices are limited. And with the unique design of the head unit, not much you can do there, although I did see someone install a whole unit in the 'secret compartment'.

I have the HIFI option and iPod adapter, and my only complaint is that whenever you hook it up it plays the same songs, and you have to go in and change playlists whenever you hook it up. Anyone know how to get shuffle to work?

But a subwoofer in the boot is forthcoming, and maybe some different drivers up front. I'm too lazy to pull the rear seats and panels just to get to the 6x9's in the back.

If you want a car with a good stock system, go for the Lexus. If you want to get aftermarket, Acura probably is one of the most modified with audio stuff.