Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPod integration / 2008 MY USB connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it... That limitation is probably imposed on the system for the CD changer (i.e. it's a limit of how the CD file system can function). Since the iPod adapter simply mimics being a CD changer (i.e. that's the way MINI fudged things instead of doing it the right way as a whole separate system), it will have to adhere to those exact same limitations. Thus, I wouldn't look for this to be corrected any time soon.

To make matters worse, I'm very doubtful that the MINI iPod adapter can even be updated with a firmware flash. My guess is that once you've bought it, you're stuck with it just the way it is (bugs and all). If they do ever update it, more than likely, it will require a whole new control module. Which of course MINI won't give you for free (they'll simply slipstream the new module into production and not let any prior owners know that it has been updated/fixed - just like they always do!).

Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Class Action Lawsuit? :-) Failure to deliver the promised product?

I'm not that way... although honestly they could be at risk for one if they failed to offer a fix. The manual does clearly lay out what the user experience should be, and was advertised as such. Any lawyers out there? :-)

(But, honestly, i'm not serious about pursuing that option.)

Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I'm sure many people could/would overlook the limitations of the iPod adapter kit if it was being sold for a fair and reasonable price. However, the $500 to $700 price point (depending on your stealer) to get one installed in your car is just plain highway robbery IMHO. At that price/profit level MINI could afford to give us all new/updated modules once a year for as long as the car is under warranty and still come out making a profit.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
BTW, just wanted to let those folks who might be reading this thread in order to decide on an iPod adapter purchase for their very own MINI know that I am actually VERY happy with the iPod adapter in our car. I'd definitely buy it again even with its current flaws/limitations. It integrates very well with the MINI, functions/sounds great, and is super sweet looking when using it with the nav interface.

It would be nice if you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it (i.e. twice as much as my new 80GB iPod Classic cost me), but it is indeed a very clean OEM install that I am really happy with.

Thus, don't let all the quibbling going on here (by me an others) put you off. If you can get over the crazy price tag and aren't a big time iPod power user (who requires hundreds of playlists and thousands upon thousands of songs), then you'll probably love it too.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jmelrose
As the manual states, the limit of items available inside any folder/subdirectory is 255. I am sure this is a memory limitation, but it is not a bug or issue that will be addressed in a future upgrade. I'm sure it has to do with how much the head unit display can hold in its buffer.
The other potential issue could be that the CD Changer interface (which is how the iPod Interface interfaces w/ the head unit) only uses an 8-bit number (0-255) for indexing tracks. But, honestly, if they really wanted to it would be fairly easy for their programming wonks to work around this issue. You could use some sort of paging system like computers use for dealing with large amounts of RAM.

The software was probably written, what, fiveish years ago? iPods were much smaller then, so this wasn't exactly an issue. And I'm guessing it hasn't exactly been updated much since.

My dealer just quoted me $607.15 for the iPod install, so at that price I don't think I'm willing to put up w/ a lot of monkeying around to get it to work w/ my ginormous collection. If it was a standard option that'd be a different story.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
HB4ME
2nd Gear
I am interested in the iPod Interface installation in Southern California. The dealer quotes I have been given included $695 at Long Beach Mini. What are other SoCal dealers charging??