Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Will this Navteq DVD work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:04 AM
MINI_Britta
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this Navteq DVD work?

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first MINI. It's an 05 pepper white Cooper S. I just have a quick question. My MINI came with a 2003 nav dvd, which I've read on here seems to be common. The streets surrounding my neighborhood aren't even on the map. I was hoping someone could help me determine whether or not this dvd will work for my nav: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130123864198.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Britta

Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MINI_Britta
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first MINI. It's an 05 pepper white Cooper S. I just have a quick question. My MINI came with a 2003 nav dvd, which I've read on here seems to be common. The streets surrounding my neighborhood aren't even on the map. I was hoping someone could help me determine whether or not this dvd will work for my nav: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130123864198.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Britta
Yes, it should work, provided you have the DVD-based version of the Nav system... and since your car is a 2005, it's a very safe bet.

You should also consider updating the Navigation system's Operating System (often just called NavOS on the forums). The update can be done by yourself, for free... you just have to download the ISO image and burn it to a CD, then load it in the car.

The newer versions of NavOS fix a lot of bugs, make the system more responsive, and add new features.

What version do you have now? To find out, go to the settings screen (from the main menu) and it will be shown in the top right corner. It should look something like 4-1/XX, where the XX is a 2-digit number.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM
MINI_Britta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Yes, it should work, provided you have the DVD-based version of the Nav system... and since your car is a 2005, it's a very safe bet.

You should also consider updating the Navigation system's Operating System (often just called NavOS on the forums). The update can be done by yourself, for free... you just have to download the ISO image and burn it to a CD, then load it in the car.

The newer versions of NavOS fix a lot of bugs, make the system more responsive, and add new features.

What version do you have now? To find out, go to the settings screen (from the main menu) and it will be shown in the top right corner. It should look something like 4-1/XX, where the XX is a 2-digit number.
Wow, thank you for your wealth of information. I did check to see that mine is in fact a DVD-based version (thank goodness). When I get to my car I'll check which version I have and let you know.

I've heard the new nav systems have a MINI for the point you are at on the map - is that because it is a new navigation system, or does that come with the system updates?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it will work, but you are going to pay a guy 100 bucks for an illegal copy. There are posts on other sites about Ebay purchases that don't work. My advice? Go buy one from the dealer.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Wow, thank you for your wealth of information. I did check to see that mine is in fact a DVD-based version (thank goodness). When I get to my car I'll check which version I have and let you know.
You're welcome!
I've heard the new nav systems have a MINI for the point you are at on the map - is that because it is a new navigation system, or does that come with the system updates?
No, that is a feature of the new portable Nav system that is available now (it is basically a rebadged Garmen Nuvi 360). However, people that own regular Nuvi 360s have been able to install the graphical updates to get the MINI on-screen.

Also, some people have "hacked" their factory Nav to show a MINI as the icon, but it is not an official option and does involve some manipulation of the NavOS update to make it happen.
Originally Posted by daflake
Yes it will work, but you are going to pay a guy 100 bucks for an illegal copy. There are posts on other sites about Ebay purchases that don't work. My advice? Go buy one from the dealer.
A very good point. You should definitely be wary of whether the map DVD you are being sold is an official disc or just an illegal copy. With the right software, it isn't too difficult to copy the map disc, so I wouldn't be surprised if unscrupulous sellers out there are trying to pass up an illegal copy onto a $2 blank DVD as an official disc.

As always... buyer beware!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
MINI_Britta
1st Gear
The version of my NavOS is 4-1/91. What is the most current version?

Good point about the illegal copies. I think I will just purchase a copy from the dealer. It's only an extra $100 I suppose.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The version of my NavOS is 4-1/91. What is the most current version?
Congratulations - that is the latest version... aka V29.1. The former owner must have been on top of things by keeping it up to date.
Good point about the illegal copies. I think I will just purchase a copy from the dealer. It's only an extra $100 I suppose.
Well, $200 for a one-time expense may not seem too bad, but for many of us we get mad that it's $200 each time. With 2 updates released per year, $400/year if you always want the latest is quite outrageous. However, jumping from a 2003 disc to a 2007 disc for $200 isn't so bad in comparison.

Side note... when you combine:
* Any NavOS version from V27 (i.e. 4-1/70) or newer
AND
* A map disc that is 2006-2 or newer
You get some added benefits:
  • Point of Interest (POI) icons and "City Center" icons are displayed together
  • Ability to choose a specific state before searching streets (i.e. filter by state)
  • Ability to choose a specific zip code before searching streets (i.e. filter by zipcode / postcode)
The first benefit is not that big of a deal, but the ability to filter by state and/or zipcode is a HUGE timesaver. Note that you choose the state from the country selection (go up to USA and select it... you'll see Canada and then below that it will list individual states). Zip code is selectable in place of the city name - you can just start putting in the number instead of the name.

Both very worthwhile benefits - but you won't see them until you slap the newer map disc in!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
MINI_Britta
1st Gear
Congratulations - that is the latest version... aka V29.1. The former owner must have been on top of things by keeping it up to date. Well, $200 for a one-time expense may not seem too bad, but for many of us we get mad that it's $200 each time. With 2 updates released per year, $400/year if you always want the latest is quite outrageous. However, jumping from a 2003 disc to a 2007 disc for $200 isn't so bad in comparison.

Side note... when you combine:
* Any NavOS version from V27 (i.e. 4-1/70) or newer
AND
* A map disc that is 2006-2 or newer
You get some added benefits:
  • Point of Interest (POI) icons and "City Center" icons are displayed together
  • Ability to choose a specific state before searching streets (i.e. filter by state)
  • Ability to choose a specific zip code before searching streets (i.e. filter by zipcode / postcode)
The first benefit is not that big of a deal, but the ability to filter by state and/or zipcode is a HUGE timesaver. Note that you choose the state from the country selection (go up to USA and select it... you'll see Canada and then below that it will list individual states). Zip code is selectable in place of the city name - you can just start putting in the number instead of the name.

Both very worthwhile benefits - but you won't see them until you slap the newer map disc in!
Yes, I agree - $400 per year is a bit outrageous. However, I'm in such a rapidly growing area that most of my neighborhood is not even found. Today I was going to see a client and they weren't found on the map either. So at least getting a 2007 map for now will be almost like getting a whole new navigation system - especially with all of the added features you mentioned.

Thanks again for all of your help. I am glad I found this forum!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
With 2 updates released per year, $400/year if you always want the latest is quite outrageous.
Updating twice a year, or even once a year is not worthwhile for most people. Navteq does keep adding cities and areas that they hadn't covered before, and that would be the main benefit. However for areas they already cover, I've seen complaints in the forums that information can remain years out of date.

Britta, I think it's worthwhile for you to update from a 2003 disc, but in a rapidly growing area Navteq will not keep up with the pace of change from what I've read.

Last edited by rkw; 06-18-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by rkw
Updating twice a year, or even once a year is not worthwhile for most people. Navteq does keep adding cities and areas that they hadn't covered before, and that would be the main benefit. However for areas they already cover, I've seen complaints in the forums that information can remain years out of date.
I agree - it can be frustrating at times. I believe the main reason is that they focus on updating specific areas at one time. Your area may only be updated every 2nd, 3rd or 4th "cycle", for example.

It really is a lot to expect them to catch everything, everywhere... but I believe they do accept reports of inaccuracies, and they try to address those reports in future updates.

One last side note - you don't have to buy the map disc from your dealer - you can buy it directly from NAVTEQ at the same price. I would think it's wiser to buy directly from them, as you would be ensured that you'd get the latest version that way. In fact, the latest they list on their website is 2007.2, not 2007.1.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I totally agree with everything above. I actually wish that it was a subscriber service rather than an outright buy. This could actually make the company more money and would probably keep the illegal copy sellers at bay. I'm not saying that I am an angel, but 100 bucks for a copied DVD (that can go bad over time) is not worth it to me. I would rather buy new.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
MINI_Britta
1st Gear
Thanks for everyone's help. I did end up purchasing directly through Navteq last night. It was $225 with taxes and shipping, but at least I know it's the real deal. I do agree that purchasing one that is most likely an illegal copy isn't the greatest of ideas. I didn't even think about that when I was looking at it. I'm looking forward to having a current map with all these added features you've mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
Congratulations - that is the latest version... aka V29.1. ....
V29.1?! when did that come out? Does anyone have this disk? or a place to download and burn?
Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by bluminiboy
V29.1?! when did that come out? Does anyone have this disk? or a place to download and burn?
Thanks!
BMW Navigation Operating System - X5world

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
you didn't lose your MINI splash screen did you, when using the OS update from the bmw's?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Nope, you won't lose it. It is part of the firmware coding so the DVD knows that it is in a MINI.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm using a copied DVD and it has worked perfectly until recently. Has anyone else using a copied DVD had an "Incorrect CD/DVD" error message?

This happens intermittently. I get in one time and it's fine. I get in another time and it's hosed. I am hoping it's a drive problem, and not some stupid DRM scheme concocted to ferret out pirates.

I think $200 for something that should be a lot cheaper is a ripoff. I always make backups of my data. Why should I be disallowed from using a legal backup of my DVD instead of the original? Since the disc doesn't use CSS encryption, how is it illegal to copy it? You're not breaking any laws by making your own copy, but selling one to someone is of course unethical and likely a criminal violation of the license agreement.

For what I paid for this NAV system, I could've bought a computer for home. The NAV system's job is to help you find your way. I think this should be a $20-$40 download ISO image, not a $200 "see your dealer" option.

I'm having trouble finding my original DVD now that my copy isn't working properly so I may end up being forced to pay again.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kurtster
I'm using a copied DVD and it has worked perfectly until recently. Has anyone else using a copied DVD had an "Incorrect CD/DVD" error message?

This happens intermittently. I get in one time and it's fine. I get in another time and it's hosed. I am hoping it's a drive problem, and not some stupid DRM scheme concocted to ferret out pirates.

I think $200 for something that should be a lot cheaper is a ripoff. I always make backups of my data. Why should I be disallowed from using a legal backup of my DVD instead of the original? Since the disc doesn't use CSS encryption, how is it illegal to copy it? You're not breaking any laws by making your own copy, but selling one to someone is of course unethical and likely a criminal violation of the license agreement.

For what I paid for this NAV system, I could've bought a computer for home. The NAV system's job is to help you find your way. I think this should be a $20-$40 download ISO image, not a $200 "see your dealer" option.

I'm having trouble finding my original DVD now that my copy isn't working properly so I may end up being forced to pay again.
Wow, what a rant!

Nobody said that it was illegal to copy your own disk provided you don't distribute it. It probably is not working because the MK4 is a bit picky mechanically about the disk inserted. Try burning your copy to a better quality disk. I run a copy of my legal disk with no problems.

Lastly, what makes somehting illegal to copy is the copywrite not if it has encryption software on it. Also, you try mapping the world and see if you don't want about 200 bucks or more for the product. I think the price is more than fair but I do wish that they had a subscription service for it to get updates.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Well with DVDs the movie industry is arguing that the law-breaking takes place when someone circumvents the CSS encryption on a DVD. Fair-use would dictate that you have a right to a backup, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) made it illegal to break copy protection so the two are in conflict with one another.

Yeah I ranted a bit. I just don't like seeing the consumer having to pay so much money to update something like this. I don't have $200 to drop on my $1600 navigation system and I think portable GPS systems can be updated for a lot less so it seems like gouging to me. I'd love to hear from Navteq about why it costs so much.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I just got done checking Tom Tom and their maps are 3/4 of the cost of the Navteq so I think that they are in line with total cost overall. Toss in the Falkners guide and you hit close to the mark. My question to you is...

"How are these maps created?" Believe it or not, this technology is not cheap or easy to create. So, the cost is passed on to you the consumer. As I have stated, I wish that they did have a downloadable scheme so that we could get a small break, but that is not the case.

You can't compare movies to software as they have spun in a different direction. Many movie companies are trying to protect their intellectual property by using CSS. In essesence, you are actually breaking two laws if you crack it and then distribute it. However, it is the main one that sticks and is easier for them to get you on.

Lastly, you are right in that the technology has dropped a bit but we have bought a system that is built in for a reason. For me it is because it is harder to steal and seeing how you really don't need to update maps but every few years (5 or so), it is really no big deal to drop the cash if I need too. Heck, when I get back to the states, I will have to buy a US DVD so I will be spending $400 for maps! EEK! BTW, I actually already knew this.

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your reasons to pirate. Sorry, but as a programmer I don't agree with your thoughts. If you want an update and are not entitled to a free upgrade, you pay. That is the way it is and if you don't, there is a possibility that the company can go under and you will get NO updates.

Last edited by daflake; 06-29-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:40 AM
kurtzu2
1st Gear
Help on upgrade OS

ok, i admit to being somewhat of a Luddite...

i have a 2004 MCS. My OS on the GPS/Computer is SW 4-1/20, which i understand to be Version 22 of the MKIV GPS system.

my question is, can i just jump straight to the newest 29.1 version, or will i need incremental upgrades to more and more current versions to avoid problems?

I've downloaded the 29.1 version from German website (http://rs45.rapidshare.com/files/8925524/navtweak.zip) (all the x5world.com links were dead), and Clone CD. so i think i am ready to tackle this unless it will royally ****** up the computer by skipping 3 years of upgrades (looks like there were 8 or 9 of them).

Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Actually the firmware is up to V31. You can jump straight to the latest version.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
kurtzu2
1st Gear
any idea where i can find V31? the BMW website says V29 is the last update.

Originally Posted by daflake
Actually the firmware is up to V31. You can jump straight to the latest version.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
kurtzu2 - are you coming to MINIs on the Dragon? I am offering free Nav updates (and language recoding, if you like) at MOTD.

Even if you aren't coming to MOTD, I see you live in Washington DC... well, I live in Northern VA, so I can help you out here in the area as well.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Will this Navteq DVD work?