Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth microphone relocation

Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth microphone relocation

Many of the people that I call, using bluetooth, complain that they cannot hear me clearly. I suspected that the microphone was on the right side of the overhead console, and I was right. The cover simply pulls off, and there are two identical slots (left & right) for the microphone. As with all BMW's, the factory mounts the microphone on the passenger side (which makes sense for right hand U.K. vehicles, but not for U.S. left hand drive).

There is just enough cable to move the microphone to the left. Pop the microphone out of the cover, then insert a small screwdriver into the slot by the cable connector. Release the connector, and snake the cable to the left side of the housing. Reconnect the cable to the microphone, and snap the microphone back in. Then snap the cover back on, and enjoy much better voice transmission when using bluetooth.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you get power folding mirrors AND col weather pkge? Web does not let you pick that

Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
How did you get power folding mirrors AND col weather pkge? Web does not let you pick that
You are correct, the Mini web builder does not let you do this, so when I ordered, i asked my MA to try it. It worked...so I was able to get cold weather package & power folding mirrors.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
hmmmm, I was trying to figure out why they would not allow both... seemed kinds weird...

Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
hmmmm, I was trying to figure out why they would not allow both... seemed kinds weird...
Gotta be a glitch in the online ordering program. Both auto folding & non auto folding are electrically heated, so it makes no sense.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:47 PM
speck37
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
Many of the people that I call, using bluetooth, complain that they cannot hear me clearly. I suspected that the microphone was on the right side of the overhead console, and I was right. The cover simply pulls off, and there are two identical slots (left & right) for the microphone. As with all BMW's, the factory mounts the microphone on the passenger side (which makes sense for right hand U.K. vehicles, but not for U.S. left hand drive).

There is just enough cable to move the microphone to the left. Pop the microphone out of the cover, then insert a small screwdriver into the slot by the cable connector. Release the connector, and snake the cable to the left side of the housing. Reconnect the cable to the microphone, and snap the microphone back in. Then snap the cover back on, and enjoy much better voice transmission when using bluetooth.
Great tip - have you gotten better feedback on the voice quality? I noticed the microphone placement in the manual and assumed it was a UK / US thing. Makes no sense to have it directed at the passenger.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by speck37
Great tip - have you gotten better feedback on the voice quality? I noticed the microphone placement in the manual and assumed it was a UK / US thing. Makes no sense to have it directed at the passenger.
Yes, everyone that I've talked to since the switch, has said that my voice was louder, and easier to hear.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
BludyL
3rd Gear
I just did this and my friends are saying the same thing. The sound is so much better on the correct side.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I tried to do the switch over, but there was just not enough wire free. the face plate wouldn't snap back into position because the wire was too tight. Grrrr.

I am having trouble setting up the dialing, etc. The system doesn't "hear" my voice that well. All in all, the system is a disappointment. I probably should have just gotten a BT earpiece and saved hundreds.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dbhouston
I tried to do the switch over, but there was just not enough wire free. the face plate wouldn't snap back into position because the wire was too tight. Grrrr.

I am having trouble setting up the dialing, etc. The system doesn't "hear" my voice that well. All in all, the system is a disappointment. I probably should have just gotten a BT earpiece and saved hundreds.
I had to route the cable through the hole in the center of the base plate. I also tugged on the cable a bit to get as much length as was available.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dbhouston
I had to feed the wire back up into the the space above the upper frame. That gave me enough wire to run across to the other side.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Even though I dont have Bluetooth , but I have Nav with voice control, and that is the microphone that I communicate with, so I went ahead and moved it over to the drivers side. No problem, used a small fishwire and threaded it through from one side to the other, taped the connector to it and pulled it through. There was more than enough wire there to connect up.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another look and try.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BludyL
I had to feed the wire back up into the the space above the upper frame. That gave me enough wire to run across to the other side.
Yes, I had to do the same thing. Better that way. Now it is using the factory authorized hole and doesn't look like a home job.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Anyone snap a picture of this, I can't picture it (without the car). ahhhh the wait begins....

Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
I just did this "mic move" mod.

One thing, I could not for the life of me snake the wire across to the other side. So I just removed the 2 screws holding the entire roof module up, then just lightly pull it down while releasing the 6 small clips along the sides. This makes it ALOT easier, no snaking, just move the wire over. Screws right back in. The screws are the star type though, so you need a start driver of the right size.

Anyone notice which way the arrow on the top of the microphone is supposed to point? I faced mine forward, want t make sure that was right.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
I just did this "mic move" mod.

One thing, I could not for the life of me snake the wire across to the other side. So I just removed the 2 screws holding the entire roof module up, then just lightly pull it down while releasing the 6 small clips along the sides. This makes it ALOT easier, no snaking, just move the wire over. Screws right back in. The screws are the star type though, so you need a start driver of the right size.

Anyone notice which way the arrow on the top of the microphone is supposed to point? I faced mine forward, want t make sure that was right.

Birdman, you got it right.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
mini18
Neutral
anybody willing to post some pics?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini18
anybody willing to post some pics?
Sorry, I was going to, and forgot. But, you won't need them, tust me. If they were needed, I would have needed them.

It's really easy. Just pull off the cover, put finger nails between the roof material and the plastic and pull it, snaps right off. Since the roof smooshes in a little (padded), it comes right off. Then you see everything we are talking about, clear as day.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
From the online manual that I downloaded it looked like there were two mics, one on each side...

But since you all are saying that ain't so...I'm going to have to bookmark this thread so I can move the mic over when my Mini finally arrives.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I'm glad I came across this thread. I will fix mine when I get my car. THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
I'll bet it would have cost MINI a lot of money to install 2 mic's in the first place.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
After seeing this post when it was created, I paid close attention to my calls. No one seemed to have a problem hearing me. Nonetheless, out of curiosity, I checked. My mic is on the driver's side. Which is good, cause if it wasn't, I'd have to debate whether to move it or not.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
"I'll bet it would have cost MINI a lot of money to install 2 mic's in the first place".

Not likely. Those mics are like .79 retail. But not likely they'd do it anyway.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Not likely. Those mics are like .79 retail. But not likely they'd do it anyway.
yeah, no kidding that aint no Neumann in there. You would not want 2 mics running anyway, it would likely make things sound worse. They should just make sure it gets mounted where it needs to!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Bluetooth microphone relocation