Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio HK resonation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 05:28 PM
GB_Junkie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my Mini Cooper last weekend. Although I am very pleased with the cars performance, there is a small problem with the HK sound system. The right front speaker to resonates (static-like sound) like crazy. I tried tightening the screws on the door thinking that may be the cause, but the problem still persisted. Has anybody else has this problem? Can I fix it? The closest Mini dealer is 500 miles away, and my plans for the next 2 weeks can't accomodate this trip.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:58 PM
mini-nj
1st Gear
I'm not sure if we have the same problem, but I do have the static coming out of my speakers and I do have the upgraded HK. Noticed it the night I took the car home. The MCS went back to the dealer, they changed the AMP, but it did not resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, this is what I've noticed on my system. Its worse when you go through rough roads, its not isolated to the front speaker (as I originally thought) and its not dependent on the system being on or not. The sound coming off the speaker makes the static come out because it causes the speakers to vibrate.

I haven't had time to go back to the dealer, but I can't wait to get it fixed (if there is a fix).

Old 05-24-2003, 10:05 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems common on HK systems - mine did it too. I suspect the better sound from the HK speakers is the cause.

For me, and most others, it is the door panel vibrating.

I took the door panels off, and ran felt along all the edges and on the clips which hold the panel to the door, and where the screws hold the panel to the door. Basically everywhere where the panel toches the door.
No more vibration/buzzing noises :smile:

This picture might give you some idea:

But it does work ...

CWFFC member. Indi Blue / Lapis Blue MCS ... body color exterior trim, chrome grille, painted roof Union Jack, Euro shelf and rear fog switch

Old 08-29-2003, 08:05 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
HI,

I have th HK system as well. The only buzzing or rattling I get is when I leave something in the door pocket. I do hear static though, and I am kinda bummed.
What I have noticed though, is that I can only hear the static when listening to the radio. Anyone else have that problem ? I searched for this thread hoping that it was just a problem with the antenna or a spark plug wire. Has anybody successfully had this resolved ??

Tahnks for the help ...

Old 08-29-2003, 08:22 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
The buzzing sound from the passenger side door panel with the HK system is a known problem. Apparently it is related to faulty door panels or poorly designed panels. Several people have reported that this will be fixed at the dealer by installing new door panels of a slightly different (internal) design.

I have had the same problem, and fixed it myself:
upon disassemblying the door panel I found the HK lower speaker trim, as well as other door trim, to be attached by means of ultra-cheap healt melt plastic extrusions. On the speaker trim this was improperly done, and the trim was moving and would thus vibrate. I applied a lot of 5-min epoxy at various locations of the speaker trim, specifically over the heat melt rivets. In addition, like iancull, I added felt and tape and other materials to reduce noise. I do believe adding something around the edge of the door panel will help as well.
However, the simplest solution may be to take it to the dealer and get new door panels.

Cheers,
M.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:56 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
At MINI Peabody today, they were working on a MINI with HK and buzzing passenger door; they were adding some felt pieces which appeared to be official MINI parts ... did not watch to see exactly where they were being put.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:54 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
That felt crap sucks. The rattle comes back with that stuff after awhile. I got two words for ya.... DYNA MAT!

Old 09-06-2003, 06:32 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
As an alternative to DYNAMAT there are other products that do the same sort of sound dampening and will help the bass and reduce outside noise.

Cascade Audio makes VB-2 and VB-Max material to add to the doors and other surfaces.
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/doorkit.html
I just had it done to my doors only and it did a good job at reducing any vibration from the front speakers or doors.
VB-Max price was 2 sq feet for $20. I had 7 sheets added to my MINI (only in the two doors). Took about 2.5 hours of labor.

If you want more sound deadening added it could go into the rear quarterpanel and the rear hatch door and rear boot fenderwells. It doesn't make quite as much difference as in the doors and it is heavy with a thin metal layer with sound absorbing layer over it and an adhesive layer under it.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:17 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
iancull...

I did the same thing you did with the felt, but I also stuffed 4 small pieces between the speaker grill and the door panel on the back side like you show. Just between each melt point that attaches the grill to the panel. It completely stopped all the speaker buzz.

I also felted both rear panels and while I had those panels out, I placed felt on the surfaces of both B and C pillar covers that contact the rear panels. My car is buzz free and I love it!

Old 10-30-2003, 08:25 AM
mokeefe
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info.

My H/K passenger speaker is buzzing too and now I have another project to tackle.

Mike

Old 10-30-2003, 09:47 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
I would recommend you try to stuff a strip of cardboard between the vibrating door panel and the door first. If it works, it would save you the trouble of having to take the door panel off.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Timzmini
1st Gear
HK Passenger Door Speaker Static

I have an 06 MCS with HK and I have a "static" sound that comes from the passenger side speaker (the upper one near the door handle) when I'm listening to certain radio stations. I don't notice the problem when I'm listening to a CD...in fact it doesn't happen often when listening to music. It seems most pronounced when I'm listening to the helicopter traffic report or if the radio DJs are talking to someone on the phone and broadcasting the converstation. It seems to be a frequency thing and volume doesn't seem factor much into the problem. It's hella annoying and it bugs me that the upgraded speaker system has such problems.

I'm a couple hundred miles from the closest Mini dealership so just dropping it by isn't practical.

Anyone have any ideas or potential tests to help me figure out if there is a problem with the speaker or some other component of the system?

By the way...besides this little issue, my Mini ROCKS.

Thanks,

Old 02-14-2006, 07:06 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Timzmini,

Here is the speaker buzz fix.

Steve

http://www.jwardell.com/mini/hkdoor.html

Old 02-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Timzmini
1st Gear
Mielniki,

Thanks for the reply but I think I may have a different problem than the one you sent the link for. My problem is with the little speaker that is up by the door handle. I don't have any problems with bass causing a "blown speaker" sound. I wasn't very clear about that. The sound I hear from that upper speaker in the passenger door is somewhat like a kazoo (spelling?). It only happens when there is a higher (or maybe monotone) sound coming from the speakers...such as the traffic reporter or someone talking to the DJs on the radio station from their cell phone.

I looked at the link you sent but that focuses on the lower speaker and from what I can tell I am not having any problems from that one. However, sounds do travel and are sometimes difficult to pinpoint origins so I'll listen more carefully to make sure I've got the correct speaker as the source of the sound.

All I know is that I was driving to work today and the traffic dude came on to tell me how bad my trip was going to be and I had to turn him off because I hate that damn static.

Thanks again for the reply. I may go ahead and do that anyway...just in case.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
While you're in there, I encourage you to add speaker baffles to protect the speakers from water as well. Refer to my aforementioned HK page.

Timzmini, if your issue is with the mid/tweeter by the door handle, then it is not the common resonation issue. You may want to first wiggle the connections in the boot to make sure the wires are securely connected to the amp, but ultimately it sounds like you'll have to contact the dealer to get the speaker replaced under warranty. They are very easy to remove, just pull off the plastic around the speakers.