North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   MTTS 2008 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008-257/)
-   -   MTTS 2008! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008/110043-mtts-2008-a.html)

FastLaneTuning 02-28-2008 09:55 PM

wow with all this negativity! i think this works out a whole lot better for those of us who couldn't take their cars on long trips like 2006 - i missed out on a great opportunity presented to me the last time i posted in a MTTS thread, and i won't miss out on it this year.... its right smack in the middle of show and race season, but i'll pull out all the stops if i have to for MTTS 2008!!!

the vehicle that took home the 2007 NOPI Nationals 1st place award in the Elite European Custom class, beating out a $125,000 modified E46 M3 formerly owned by Craig Liberman (link to vehicle) will be attending the Miami event with other Sunshine MINI members.... sponsorship opportunities are still being accepted, more info and contact info can be found by visiting the following links:

MODS - www.MikeGarcia25.com/modslist
GALLERY - Building Process | Completed Pics
SPONSORSHIP - www.MikeGarcia25.com/sponsor

Gromit801 02-29-2008 08:07 AM

I know on the poll, Mini just asked if people wanted four regional events. I think if they had also stated WHERE they planned to put those events, the regional idea would have died an appropriate death.

Kentiki 02-29-2008 10:44 AM

There are TONS of MINIs and Minis in South Florida. Besides, "down here" in the flaccid penis of America, we often get neglected for events. E.g., bands often don't come south of Orlando because if they drive, it's just too far to justify what money they'd make.

We have a track, really hot women, and loads of MINIS. I think MINIUSA's decision is well-founded.

SPDinNY 02-29-2008 12:50 PM

My wife and I will be attending Boston and Chitown, as well as MOT and MOTD. It's so much fun with both of us owning minis. =)

Funk_Flex 02-29-2008 10:05 PM

I was talking to a friend who lives in the Boston area about where such a event could take place in Boston and he suggested a decommisioned Naval airbase in Weymouth: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.079823&z=14

I attened a Mazda Zoom Zoom Live event with him back in 2006 and it seems like the ideal location. Lots-o-open spaces for driving events and parking.

Volker 03-01-2008 03:42 AM

MF just updated their original post about the dates with

(Updated Feb. 29 - our original information on the dates of each event was incorrect. Look for the final information next Monday on MotoringFile)

Darth_Cooper 03-02-2008 09:16 PM

Atlanta would've been a great place to have one of the stops. We have one of the largest MINI dealerships in the US. Sad to say I will be missing this one.

ClubmanS 03-07-2008 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by vargasgal (Post 2063996)
Talk about the four corners of the Earth. That pretty much screws anyone in the middle of the country. The closest location to Memphis is almost 600 miles/9hrs away. The choices suck.

I feel sorry for the Texas groups...talk about a drive. They are looking at a minimum 17 hr drive to get to any of the locations.

Florida was excluded from MTTS '06. The closest city to Miami, was Nashville nearly 1000 miles away. I am glad the MTTS '08 kickoff is happening in Miami, the first or second largest MINI market in the United States (5 dealers in a 70 mile radius). We have a thriving MINI community here (www.minisofmiami.com) and welcome all of our MINI brothers and sisters to enjoy the best our cosmopolitan city has to offer! See you all in Miami!

ClubmanS 03-07-2008 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by cabriopilot (Post 2066990)
In the state of Florida, Orlando would have been a better choice for everyone concerned. :nod:
And if I'm not mistaken, there are more MINI owners in Central Florida and Georgia than South Florida. :confused:
For the Southeast it should have been at the BMW plant in South Carolina, at least there they have
a track and a very interesting museum with great driving access via I-85.
Well I have said more than I thought I would on this subject, I have no plans to go to any of the
MTTS events as they presently stand.
I will however go to MOTD and the Guinness World Record Challenge at Virginia Beach.:thumbsup:

Have you ever been to Miami, let alone South Florida?? This place is INFESTED with Minis/MINIs! We have one of the highest concentrations of MINIs of any major metropolitan are in the US. We have 5 dealers down here and a thriving community. Orlando only has 1 dealer (Downtown MINI) and you are hard press to see a MINI upthere. Sometimes 1-2 days go by and u see only a few of them (There is also a thriving community of MINI owners upthere, however). I just find much of the complaining in this board a little silly. When MTTS '06 took place, practically the entire South east was excluded, but no one cried. Those living in excluded regions made the long drives to the closest passing points to participate in the activities. If some of you don't like Miami, fine I accept that (We are despised in the "real America" as a third world hellhole). Tracks? We Have Miami-Homestead speedway where our club helds track days and other events. MINIUSA subjected the event style to vote. Reality is, not many people have the luxury of time to engage on a 2-3 week cross country drive (I would be the first one to sign in) and by having the event spread out in this manner, believe it or not, you are giving a greater number of MINI owner the chance to experience a national event of this magnitude. When I want to go to an event, I make the effort and do the drive. If I don't I don't and that's that. Miami and Florida in general has been excluded from the big events. We don't have Dragons, AMVIV or any of the heavy duty events down here, so guess what? We also deserve to get a little piece of the pie too!

ClubmanS 03-07-2008 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Darth_Cooper (Post 2073393)
Atlanta would've been a great place to have one of the stops. We have one of the largest MINI dealerships in the US. Sad to say I will be missing this one.

Too bad you have decided not to make the 12 hour drive. Funny, when events are well north of Miami-Dade, then us in South Florida are always expected to pull all stops and make the long drives to get to "real Amerika". But when a major event finally happens here in the "Third world" all we hear and read in these boards is complaints and whining. Get out of your little glass houses! If you really want to participate in MTTS '08 get off the computer, get in your MINI and hit the road. After all, wasn't a long road trip what most of you wanted it? I would hate to be MINIUSA. It is very hard to please people!

ClubmanS 03-07-2008 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kentiki (Post 2069111)
There are TONS of MINIs and Minis in South Florida. Besides, "down here" in the flaccid penis of America, we often get neglected for events. E.g., bands often don't come south of Orlando because if they drive, it's just too far to justify what money they'd make.

We have a track, really hot women, and loads of MINIS. I think MINIUSA's decision is well-founded.

Well said!

maxxboy 03-07-2008 07:53 AM

I'm in Atlanta and will be in Miami for MTTS. I love South Beach and cannot wait to see what MINI has in store. I'm flying down and renting a MINI. LOL! If the drive is more than 6-7 hrs I fly instead!

minimic 03-10-2008 11:22 AM

well, since my best friend lives in miami, i am going to the kick-off party/event. should be fun. last time i was in miami, i probably saw 5,000 MINIs! they are everywhere down there.

FastLaneTuning 03-10-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by minimic (Post 2087418)
well, since my best friend lives in miami, i am going to the kick-off party/event. should be fun. last time i was in miami, i probably saw 5,000 MINIs! they are everywhere down there.

just got back from a weekend spent in Miami and you aren't kidding.... we would see at least 1 on every block in South Beach - you read that right, one EACH BLOCK.... oh, and a Lamborghini Gallardo every other block too, but its still not a MINI!

Funk_Flex 03-12-2008 02:42 PM

With gas prices creeping up into the $4.00/gal. range (especially for premium grade) this summer, anybody planning their MTTS road trip with gas prices in mind? Anybody scrapping their MTTS plans altogether? Attending one event instead of two? Taking a more direct route instead of a more leisurely one?

$4.00X12 gallons = $48.

As of now my MTTS plans haven't changed. I'm planning to attend the Boston event. But I don't think I'm planning to take any long road trips this summer :cry: . I think I'll just stay home and watch DVDs:) .

ajakeski 03-12-2008 03:56 PM

I'm 60 miles from Chicago (Yep, tank of gas, sunglasses in the dark, smokes...) I should be able to make it there for two of the days.

FastLaneTuning 03-12-2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Funk_Flex (Post 2092475)
With gas prices creeping up into the $4.00/gal. range (especially for premium grade) this summer, anybody planning their MTTS road trip with gas prices in mind? Anybody scrapping their MTTS plans altogether? Attending one event instead of two? Taking a more direct route instead of a more leisurely one?

you're telling me..... gas in Miami WAS at $4.00 this past weekend, i only put a few gallons of 93 in the tank in my VTEC Honda daily driver, put it in the parking garage for the weekend, took taxis where i needed to go, and drove back north to fill up before heading back home to Orlando! you better believe i'm filling up north of Lauderdale before ending up in Miami for MTTS!

:thumbsup:

SB 03-16-2008 08:54 PM

I was just reading MF about MTTS. I'm within 3.5 hours of the Dragon but may skip it this year in favor for MTTS in Chicago. :thumbsup: Even though I live in Alabama, Chicago is a lot closer to me than Miami. Plus, if I want I could just make a quick trip on Saturday to MOTD to hang with some friends. Maybe during the Midnight run, instead of turning around at Tabcat, just keep heading the same direction and be back in my own bed by 4am. :nod:

As for gas prices. I estimated $80 one way at $4 a gallon. I can make that up by not splurging on so many souvenirs. :lol:

AstroBlackS 03-17-2008 06:34 PM

I am definitely going to the one in Boston, as well as MOT. As for florida, I may fly down, and stay at a relatives house in Boynton beach, which is only about an hour out from miami.

MiniMac2005 03-19-2008 09:17 AM

Hey everyone! checkout/listen to the interview on MotoringFile with MINIUSA regarding MTTS 2008.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/03/...ate-mtts-2008/

registration to open by mid-April :thumbsup:

whiteyanderson 03-30-2008 12:22 PM

if any whats the fee to register? this will be the first i attend here in L.A. and what does the registration fee cover? do you get a nice goody bag or something?

Ivygirl702 04-10-2008 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by whiteyanderson (Post 2127410)
if any whats the fee to register? this will be the first i attend here in L.A. and what does the registration fee cover? do you get a nice goody bag or something?

Good questions, I second them. My husband and I are planning on going to LA and I can't wait! :)

whiteyanderson 04-11-2008 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ivygirl702 (Post 2154320)
Good questions, I second them. My husband and I are planning on going to LA and I can't wait! :)

supposedly registration will be open any day now. but, hard to find any on info what exactly "registration" means. i read somewhere online that swag could be purchased at the event but, at crazy expensive prices. like $40 for a shirt! hopefully someone will chime in who has been to one before.

MiniMac2005 04-11-2008 08:46 PM

Registration is open now for MTTS 2008!!!!

http://blog.minitakesthestates.com/2...e-do-good.html

here you go everyone!!! just found this link on the OL a few minutes ago !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks like you'll have to purchase tickets (donation) to attend... $20/ticket online ($30 at event) for each city...

whiteyanderson 04-11-2008 11:12 PM

awesome $20 is cool. hope that covers all 3 days!