North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   MTTS 2008 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008-257/)
-   -   MTTS 2008! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008/110043-mtts-2008-a.html)

vargasgal 08-08-2007 09:31 AM

MTTS 2008!

From MC2 - Look for an email about MINI Takes the States in September. Better make sure your Owner's Lounge info is correct!

http://www.mc2magazine.com/msgthread...sages=5#315560

MLPearson79 08-08-2007 09:34 AM

Yeeeessssssss! I am so excited already!

bamatt 08-08-2007 09:36 AM

Here is what it says :grin: YAY!!! I'm excited too.

A few days ago MINI gave me an insight into MINI Takes the States 2008, saying that an e-mail would be sent out in September. I have to assume it'll be posted to the Owner's Lounge, and sent to all 2006 MTTS participants, too. I'm told they'll post three choices or options for us all to vote on.

We at MC2 would like to start an interactive conversation right here before the official input and votes are started of what, where, when, how many states we cross, what events are part of the crossing, if you want some track time, and west or east coast, or cross-country trek? Never know, this could get MINI some insigfht into their questions?

The more thoughts the better, as I'm sure the MINI execs will be watching this and comparing it against the official input that starts in September. It's to be a busy month for MINI what with their Clubman launch, and we at MC2 wil be there with website coverage from day one. We might even have a large surprise for you live from Frankfurt and Madrid mid-September!

As always, if you need me for club business, try publisher@mc2magazine.com. I'm quick to answer, except for weekends...

Barry

vargasgal 08-08-2007 01:23 PM

So I wonder what the three route choices will be. I would love to do the whole thing but I am pretty sure I won't have enough vacation to take off 2+ weeks.

bamatt 08-08-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by vargasgal (Post 1678719)
So I wonder what the three route choices will be. I would love to do the whole thing but I am pretty sure I won't have enough vacation to take off 2+ weeks.

I dunno. I hope they stick to the Southern US route again though :grin:

Gromit801 08-08-2007 02:01 PM

A northern route would be the best!

Maybe SF to Seattle, then across the rest of WA, ID, and Montana that is very speed limit friendly! The Dakota's. Can you imagine a bunch of Mini's at Mt Rushmore? Then south east across MN and through WI, south through IL, and then into IN. Mini's on the Indianapolis Motor speedway anyone? Then maybe through OH, PA, mid state NY, and onto Boston!

bamatt 08-08-2007 02:20 PM

Yeah Idaho & Montana should be high on the list to be travelled through because I bet there's a lot of MINIS residing there :wink: :grin: :lol:

Gromit801 08-08-2007 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bamatt (Post 1678859)
Yeah Idaho & Montana should be high on the list to be travelled through because I bet there's a lot of MINIS residing there :wink: :grin: :lol:

Who cares if there's a large number of Mini's residing there. Lets see the land!

The first MTTS took the "Mini Populated" route. Boring.

IOmini_punkin 08-08-2007 03:39 PM

The events at the end of the day’s journey were great. I think going the northern route would be beautiful but I'd want to stop in Yellowstone instead of just drive by it. Long stretches of really open space is hard to plan around, but they did a great job last time. I just hope I can save enough vacation to do more legs of the trip.

Capias 08-27-2007 08:32 AM

I'd like to suggest the Seattle to Key West route. Second suggestion would be Boston to Key West.

I'm just thinking someplace fun to start and fun to end...with a bunch of interesting things in between. :)

golfersmurf 08-27-2007 09:23 AM

Hmmm...So is it possible to travel via MINI across the country with 2 adults and a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old? :lol:

Donna/Mike 08-27-2007 12:36 PM

:thumbsup: Sweet! Hope we get to participate in a few legs of the trip like the first MTTS - it was a blast!!!

Donna:cool: :grin: :cool:

vargasgal 08-27-2007 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by golfersmurf (Post 1714640)
Hmmm...So is it possible to travel via MINI across the country with 2 adults and a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old? :lol:

I saw a couple of smaller kids on the last one. I don't know how many legs they made. I would guess it would depend on how long MINI has us spending in the car as to how they would handle it.

MDK 09-07-2007 10:32 AM

MTTS in 08!

I just an e-mail from MC2 mag-word is an e-mail is going out today about MTTS in 08. Mini USA is looking for input on the event. The e-mail mentioned that something will be posted in the owners lounge at MINIUSA as well.

Man i would love to do a coast to coast-I doubt I have the time but it is something I've always wanted to do.

(mods-if this in the wrong place please move it-I didn't know which area would be the best)

Gromit801 09-07-2007 11:03 AM

Somewhere in here, another thread was started about MTTS 08.

MDK 09-07-2007 11:17 AM

Oh well, I thought I might haave been first, story of my life!

I just did the survey that's in the owners lounge-so stop by there if you want to help shape the next MTTS.

Gromit801 09-07-2007 12:04 PM

Well, I voted for the Big Bang. The one massive gathering. Becky and I only get so much vacation per year.

I suggested that it should be something every year, and rotate from west-mid west-east for example. Each time being close to a road course, like Laguna Seca, Road America, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Portland, etc.

MDK 09-07-2007 01:05 PM

That would be cool, I suggested a combination of 1 and 3. The cross country cruiser could do there thing and have regional event staged along the way. Those that can't do the whole thing could meet up at the stage event, maybe do a leg or two and it would give the coast to coasters a day of rest along the way and if you added a track day or two as the event-even better.

Gromit801 09-07-2007 01:17 PM

That would be a massive logistics headache.

As one who has helped to produce two national conventions, and a handful of regional conventions for various clubs, believe me, K.I.S.S. is the operative word and thought.

doodlez 09-07-2007 02:00 PM

OK, kiddies, I just got the email

Checked out the Owner's Lounge and the three choices are now up for votes. I wasn't able to participate in the first MTTS, so I'm not sure what ideal situation I would go for yet. For those of you who did go, what do you think? Here are the choices, and they even give us a comments section as well:

MINI is taking the states again in 2008. But this time around we want YOU to help decide what we’re doing. So don’t be shy. Cast your vote (only once per Owner) and then let us know if you have any big ideas or little suggestions for making the event even better.

OPTION #1: THE ROAD TRIP TO END ALL ROAD TRIPS.
If you’re an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kind of person then this option is for you. It would basically be a similar concept as last time. A roving herd of MINI Owners would motor along a pre-determined, nationwide route, stopping in different locations along the way. This approach lets participating MINI Owners join up for the entire journey or just a few legs.

OPTION #2: THE BIG BANG.
In June, MINI United 2007 gathered MINI Owners from around the world for one giant party weekend in the Netherlands. So maybe we try something similar for Owners here in the U.S.? We would hold one spectacular festival over a long weekend in the summer, giving MINI owners the opportunity to motor from all across the country to one central location.

OPTION #3: CLOSER TO HOME.
Even though all our MINIs would jump at the chance to stretch their cross-country legs, we’d love as many MINI Owners as possible to make it. So maybe we arrange for 4 smaller events to take place in different regions of the country? Maybe we even stagger the events so that the hardcore Motorers could make it to more than one event next summer?

COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS: Was there an element from the first MINI Takes the States that you loved and would want to keep even if we change formats? Do you have a brilliant idea for how to get even more MINI Owners to come?

Gromit801 09-07-2007 02:11 PM

There's another MTTS 08 thread in the events forum. Time for a merge.

I went in and voted for the Big Bang. We only get so much vacation a year.

I added that it would be cool to have the Big Bang every year, and rotate from say, West/Mid-West/East so it's close at least once every three years. Locate it near a track too.

mini pooper 09-07-2007 02:27 PM

Since the last one was west to east, let's try east to west. We have been working on a MINI Bash in San Francisco (MINI Mystery Tour 2008) for the early part of September 2008. This would be a great place for a finale!

We are working on a BBQ dinner on Treasure Island, a bonfire on Ocean Beach, a mid-night run through th streets of San Francisco, visits to Fisherman's warf, Coit Tower, A baseball game at AT&T Park, ride the cable cars.....etc.

Here is a link to the thread on the REME forum: http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...sts=33&start=1

Its a great time of year in SF, warm weather, clear skies, lots of night lights.

CooperGear 09-07-2007 03:27 PM

I Voted for the RoadTrip but would also be just as happy with the Big Bang! I plan to do the entire road trip and that will be mucho $$$ but the big bang would be fun too.

In the middle of the desert like Burning Man could be SUPER COOL! MINI USA could setup a city in the middle of nowhere and there will be many MINIs. I mean they just sold the 200000th one in the US. There MUST be at least 180000 left on the roads.

I can't wait!

mauberley 09-07-2007 07:20 PM

I voted for the Big Bang because I don't know how much vacation time I can take. I figure that even with that option, convoys will still form, although with folks from your own area. (Plus, if they hold it somewhere near the geographic center of the lower 48, it'll be more convenient for me. :) ) But even if they do option (1) I'll still figure out a way to go for at least part of it. Because, damnit, I'm doing this event, come hell or high water.

IsAMini 09-07-2007 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gromit801 (Post 1737049)
Somewhere in here, another thread was started about MTTS 08.

There was......here it is......the is a vote going on as to what format to use in 2008...check it out......we're voting for #3. :nod:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113312