North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   MTTS 2008 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008-257/)
-   -   MTTS 2008! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mtts-2008/110043-mtts-2008-a.html)

rosmakloma 09-07-2007 08:23 PM

I actually voted option #2 - hoping that the 'central' location would be just that. Living in Nebraska, I would hope for something close. The reason for my choice would be whatever funds they are going to spend could potentially be more of an event if spent all in one place vs. spreading that amount at different locations. Option #3 was my next choice.

kfisto 09-08-2007 06:05 AM

I just wish I could vote! (no Mini, or even prod. number yet. :sad: ) I've actually done a Big Bang type of event (3 times, actually) for my current car, a VW New Beetle, which was tons-o'-fun each time (the first was even before I bought mine!)! Anyway, the Road Trip option looks like the most fun for someone who wants to see a lot of the country so that would be my pic. I'd love it if it was East to West though, maybe ending in the PNW! If option 3 is selected, I'd definitely stagger them! I'd be one of the hard core folks to do more than one!

Hmm... I guess I'm a bit wishy-washy, eh? Based on the limited details for each of the options, I could go for any of them! :lol:

Originally Posted by mauberley (Post 1738030)
Because, damnit, I'm doing this event, come hell or high water.

A-men! my sentiments exactly!

TurboMini 09-08-2007 06:11 AM

#1 day and night. I'm gonna have to ship my car to the west coast and fly out behind it again. but waaaay more fun than just going to one place for a weekend as would happen with option #3

DixonL2 09-08-2007 09:22 AM

include BeaverRun near Pittsburgh!!! Better yet, time it to coincide with the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, and all storm the PittStopMini tent...

MDK 09-10-2007 07:49 AM

I like the E-W idea for a change if option 1 wins. As for the big bang idea we would need a centrally located city that has a large amount of hotel rooms-even better if everyone could stay at one (very large) hotel/resort. I guess it should be near a track and offer some good driving roads, any ideas?

mini pooper 09-10-2007 08:02 AM

How about a BIG Bash as a finale in San Francisco in earlt September? We have been working on this. Here is a link to the REME thread giving you an idea of what we are planning:
http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...sts=37&start=1

CooperGear 09-11-2007 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mini pooper (Post 1741541)
How about a BIG Bash as a finale in San Francisco in earlt September? We have been working on this. Here is a link to the REME thread giving you an idea of what we are planning:
http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...sts=37&start=1

Sounds like it could be a cool event. Too bad I live REALLY far away. I already did the vacation in SF in a rental and that was not as fun as if I had been driving my own MINI.

MACS MINI 12-23-2007 09:52 AM

From South Carolina: We planning on attending the Vegas Rally in March, '08; that would be a good #2 option for everyone to attend. I'll go to the site and vote for #3. I'd love to travel down to the Keys. Somewhere in Texas would be a good central (sort of) location in September or October. So many choices (especially when you're retired!!!) Look forward to meeting new MINI lovers.

mini pooper 12-23-2007 11:22 AM

For those that have a craving for a cross-country drive, Pappion and a group on MINI2 are planning "Paix et Soleil" run from San Francisco to New York (September 5-22, 2008). Since MTTS will be four regional events, this could satisfy those looking for the BIG drive and maybe hit the MTTS parties along the way.

mini pooper 12-23-2007 12:38 PM

For those that have a craving for a cross-country drive, Pappion and a group on MINI2 are planning "Paix et Soleil" run from San Francisco to New York (September 5-22, 2008). Since MTTS will be four regional events, this could satisfy those looking for the BIG drive and maybe hit the MTTS parties along the way.

ProfessorZoom 12-30-2007 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mini pooper (Post 1942296)
Since MTTS will be four regional events

Did I miss a memo? I haven't seen or heard of any details yet. Where did this inside information come from? If this is correct do we have dates and locations?

maxxboy 12-30-2007 03:41 PM

I haven't heard that either.

mini pooper 12-30-2007 07:58 PM

I am by no means the "official" on any of MINI USA information, including MTTS 2008, but this information was posted on motoringfile.com and elsewhere. I have not seen anything "official" or otherwise from MINI. I would expect an announcement after Jan 1.

No dates or locations that I know of.

ProfessorZoom 12-31-2007 05:42 AM

Found the MF article (the joy of the the holidaze- I seem to get behind and only now can catch up). I was curious since I had been talking about the 2008 club event calendar with my dealership he seemed to be hinting at another roadtrip, then again those conversations started before Dec. 12 the date of the article. Here's hoping that the event(s) lead to some great road trips.
Thanks for the clarification. Wish I could make it out to San Francisco (running low on my Dry Creek Zins) but work is a necessity.

maxxboy 12-31-2007 07:39 AM

Thanks for the link Professor!

rosmakloma 01-12-2008 01:38 PM

Looks like we should be getting info soon - here's a pic from the MINI area at the Detroit show that opens this week:

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/a...5&galleryId=68

vargasgal 01-14-2008 09:22 AM

Hope the dates aren't too close to the Dragon...I would hate to have to choose between the two.

ProfessorZoom 01-18-2008 02:29 PM

I'm guessing from the sound of silence that nothing was announced in Detroit and the "MINI Takes The States" in the photo was about U.S. sales and not the event(s).

howsoonisnow1985 01-21-2008 06:51 PM

Ending in Bay Area would be nice. Especially with a track day in Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) or Sears Point (Infineon) or both!! Or if they could bring a UK MINI Challenge Race to Laguna Seca.

Mishka 01-27-2008 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rosmakloma (Post 1977901)
Looks like we should be getting info soon - here's a pic from the MINI area at the Detroit show that opens this week:

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/a...5&galleryId=68

Nothing to contribute on the thread topic(Sorry!), but it's nice of the Lexus advertisement to show pics of MINIs.:thumbsup:

Now, back to your regular topic and discussion and thank you for allowing me to go off topic.:nod:

rosmakloma 01-27-2008 06:33 PM

Turns out they were only showing video footage of the last MTTS - no new info.

Gromit801 02-08-2008 02:37 PM

There will be no MTTS.

MINIUSA will have four regional events. What a waste of a great opportunity as we already have regional events.

vargasgal 02-08-2008 02:51 PM

As far as I know, it will still be called MTTS. I agree with you about the format. I was hoping for another roadtrip. I missed all but two hours of the entire trip due to my grandmother's unexpected passing.

I could have sworn I saw something about one of the four locations being in California but now I can't find the exact city that was mentioned. Below is the most recent thin I have read about it -

From the MC2 forums:

Update on MINI Takes the States (MTTS). As of Friday, January 18, MINIUSA still does not have established venues for this year's MTTS. I spoke with execs at MINI and they confirmed that one event will most likely be on the west coast and they told me that no final decisions have been made, though in the next few weeks they expect to finalize the program. Seems like a last minute push, but MINIUSA is looking for ways to maximize their events, link them together, and possibly have MTTS compliment other MINI events happening throughout the summer. PeterD, MC2 Editor

It would really suck if they tried to tag onto the already established events (MOTD, AMVIV, etc.) rather than creating new options.

vargasgal 02-08-2008 03:30 PM

Just read the email that MINI USA sent out that mentions MTTS. Two things mentioned that I do like -

1. It appears the events are going to take place during the weekend so I won't have to use as much vacation time :thumbsup:
2. We should begin receiving info in March. Hopefully they make their deadline! It would be nice to have some advance notice this time around.

Gromit801 02-26-2008 05:39 PM

Well, here's a letter from Barry about MTTS 2008:

"Greetings everyone,

As we all need to plan our vacations this year, we at MC2 have been told by our friends that the dates for MTTS Part II are as follows:

Miami, FL. June 13-15.

Boston, MA. June 20-22

Chicago, IL. July 11-13

Los Angeles, CA. July 18-20

The Miami and Boston dates and locations are 100% locked down, but our info on Chicago and LA are not yet concrete, as MINI is still working on these times and locations. We feel they're secure enough to inform everyone at this time.

Just what they're planning at these locations, we don't know for sure, but we will get back to you ASAP when we know more. Until then, we cannot reveal anything greater than we write here.

We will be at all three events with staff and support team of writers, photographers and video team, so do let us see your classic and new mini if it's worth featuring in MC2.

MC2 staff"

This is a joke, right? Most people's vacation time has already had to be locked in place before now, and look at the cities! We have no desire to go near any of those cities with our Mini, or any other car related event. I know Barry is just passing along the info, but the planners at MiniUSA, frankly, are idiots.