MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

Moving MTH?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving MTH?????

currently I have the tuner file on my 03 MCS,
if I sell my car and put the orig maps back in can I transfer my tuner file to my new vehicle,
now I know I would have to download the files from the new car and send them to MTH but do I have to pay the full amount again or is it considired an upgrade???
just a question (I am not selling my car)

Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Volker@MTH
Former Vendor
New car = new file.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:29 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most tuner files work like that.Its keyed to one car by serial#

Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta say, that kinda sucks....

This is more like moving a software licence from one computer to another. Charging full price isn't right. If you can provide a bill of sale, and remove the tune from the old car, it ought to be less or free to get the replacement car tuned.

Not great customer relations.

Matt

Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
It's kinda like buying a set of springs right? You can move the springs from one car to another. In fact cann't a unichip be moved between cars if desired?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Volker@MTH
Former Vendor
And who tells us that the bill is not a fake? How are we supposed to check on that? So it is then very easy to get free files for all your buddys. And how we gonna check that the file has been removed from the old car and is now used on the new car only?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 AM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
I see Volker's point. Moving springs from one car to next involves moving a physical part that cannot be replicated. Software can be replicated.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Deleted. I had bum info.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Alright, so you can't transfer MTH to a new Mini when you sell your old one. For many people, that is a downside to MTH compared to say, the Unichip. I had MTH loaded on the Mini that I sold last July, and when I carefully explained in a non-technical manner how MTH optimizes the vehicle's maps and makes the car run more efficiently, with the emphasis on producing more power with everything else held constant, most buyers were intrigued. I imagine for many people, MTH will have some residual value if/when you're selling your Mini (as long as you're selling private-party - if you're trading in, don't tell the dealer that you've modded the ECU ).

Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can sell the cable...

Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Volker, I like your product, but this is a friggin JOKE!

Originally Posted by Volker@MTH
And who tells us that the bill is not a fake? How are we supposed to check on that? So it is then very easy to get free files for all your buddys. And how we gonna check that the file has been removed from the old car and is now used on the new car only?
You can write you code to remove and restore to stock to generate an "ininstall" code. Also, I'd think that if you see the same guy "selling" 20 cars, you could see that in your records. And your attitude seems to assume all your customers are untrustworthy SOBs who are out to get you! I'm kind of surprised.

So to be really blunt here, your programming has made it that your customers can't maintain the value of the part as they change cars. Unlike every piggyback out there.

It's also obvious that you don't trust your customers, not good either.

Some sort of "transfer fee" would be reasonable, and that way you'd get some revenue from all the good customers to offset the very few who would sell the car with the tune installed and you wouldn't be out any money, and your customers would get to maintain some value. Seems like a good plan that it would be in your interests to consider. You can use a program like Access or Excel or MySQL or Oracle or whatever to see what upload codes were retired as well, so the very worst exposure that you would have is the new owner would have a tune that wasn't upgradeable, and that got erased if Mini updated the ECU.

I can see that this is a new issue that you guys haven't thought about yet. I respectfully suggest you do so now.

Matt

(a very long time customer)

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 01-20-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removed the word lazy, as it wan't nice...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 AM
SonicVI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by latte hiatus
Alright, so you can't transfer MTH to a new Mini when you sell your old one. For many people, that is a downside to MTH compared to say, the Unichip.
Of course the Unichip does cost twice as much as the MTH tuner files

Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Volker@MTH
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
You know, you're very rude, unpleasant, and unhelpful 95% of the time, and also 95% of the reason I have not gone the MTH route.

"And who tells us that the bill is not a fake?"

Hmmm... A business who doesn't have any kinds of records... Records of sale, records of previous tuning files, and one that constantly plays the victim role (ala 'I can't explain the Xmas sale to a potential customer because I was up all night').

Sad.
We, MTH Germany, never had any Christmas sale. So what do you want me to answer?

When I talked about the bill, I referred to what Dr Obnxs said. I was under the impression he talked about the bill / contract to prove to us that a customer really sold his car. Misunderstanding?

As we are a TÜV certified company, we are obliged to keep records of sales etc. . What makes you think we do not have this?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
UniChip is the only ECU upgrade that I know of that you can move from car to car. Shark Injector, EvoTech, GIAC (please correct me if I am wrong) are all ECU specific because they are modifications of the ECU data rather than a piggy-back solution. I would say MTH is among the majority rather than the minority here. It does suck, but I think this is one of the things you should consider as a consumer when you are evaluating its value (features/price) against its competitors.

Just my $0.02.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW, IMHO, I have not read anything from Volker that was not helpful and polite.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:35 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
would be cool anyways though. like 50% or 25% off a file for a returning customer.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Volker@MTH
We, MTH Germany, never had any Christmas sale. So what do you want me to answer?
Sorry. Confused you for MTH USA.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=56513

Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Wagnbat,

Easy please, you don't make any sense What is your point? Man, good luck to those ppl that sell you stuff

You know, you're very rude, unpleasant, and unhelpful 95% of the time, and also 95% of the reason I have not gone the MTH route.

"And who tells us that the bill is not a fake?"

Hmmm... A business who doesn't have any kinds of records... Records of sale, records of previous tuning files, and one that constantly plays the victim role (ala 'I can't explain the Xmas sale to a potential customer because I was up all night').

Sad.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I apologized.

I confused him for the MTH-USA guy.

Volker has always been helpful here in the forums. The other guy... I thought it was more of his BS. I only browse the MTH forum once in a while, and was taken a bit aback by Volkers initial 'how do we know you bought it?' stance. He has since clarified that MTH does indeed keep records, and I have since apologized.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Volker@MTH
Former Vendor
Ok, no harm done :-) .

Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
goaljnky
Banned
How about volume discounts? Say, if I have two Minis I want to upgrade software on...

Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
So Volker,

are you going to comment at all on the points that

1) The MTH business practice of not crediting anything to it's customers with respect to car transfers based on the fact that you think the customer are going to rip you off is not that nice to your paid customer base?

2) That you DO have the information in your company that will allow you to see if anyone is abusing a potential transfer.

3) That a 20% to 25% transfer fee would cover you financially, even if the tune wasn't removed, as a 20% to 25% abuse rate would be income neutral to MTH?

Since you didn't directly comment on any of these points in this tread, nor reply to my PM, what am I to assume as one of your customers?

Matt

Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Since I did a bit of unjustified hating, I'll do some defending a bit.

Volker is right that from Germany, he cannot really trust people so far away. Sure there are records and what-not, but that would take away from him doing what he does, and that is tuning.

Now, if the American rep were at all helpful, he would be able to get this discount for MTH owners... He should be knowledgable enough to cross reference past & present customers with Mr Volker, and along with proper paperwork like a cetified copy of registration for your new car, should be able to provide MTH for owners of multiple Mini's and/or Euro cars.

Just my 2 cents tho. More justification on Volker's behalf. I believe if I was in his shoes, I'd be along the same lines for customers outside of my country.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I don't buy it.

Since I did a bit of unjustified hating, I'll do some defending a bit.

Volker is right that from Germany, he cannot really trust people so far away. Sure there are records and what-not, but that would take away from him doing what he does, and that is tuning.

Now, if the American rep were at all helpful, he would be able to get this discount for MTH owners... He should be knowledgable enough to cross reference past & present customers with Mr Volker, and along with proper paperwork like a cetified copy of registration for your new car, should be able to provide MTH for owners of multiple Mini's and/or Euro cars.

Just my 2 cents tho. More justification on Volker's behalf. I believe if I was in his shoes, I'd be along the same lines for customers outside of my country.
He sees the upload codes with each upgrade. The vehicle VIN number is in each ID file. Those two items will tell him if he's being ripped off, no matter where in the world the car is.

I edited this way down. If Volker wants to respond to the points, he can. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to. Life goes on....

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 01-25-2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Took out most of the content...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Just thought i should comment that Volker is in the process of moving home, im sure he will reply as soon as he can.

Quick Reply: Moving MTH?????