MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

Mods that need updates, mods which dont?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods that need updates, mods which dont?

I just sold my Unichip to finance some new shoes for my MINI.

The car currently has a 15%Alta, Alta intake, Borla Race catback. And in the next month or so, rear sway, and hopefully some new springs.

Once the wheels and suspension upgrades are complete, I will look into ECU tuning again. This time not unichip. Not that I didnt like the UNichip, I am just not a fan of the way it works. Ive grown up with APR/GIAC chips and VWs. I like my code to be inside the ECU, not beside it.

Anyways on to my question.

MTH Tuner file, with the mods above listed I understand will work and work well. And I can easilly (and freely for 1 year) update my ECU if i put any new mods on. ,But which mods warrant/justify updating, and which ones will have no change?

Only other peformance mods I see adding are colder plugs, a larger TMIC, possibly +2% crank pulley and MAYBE an 'alta-nator' pulley.

I realize the pulleys will likely want some new programming to get the full use out of them, but what about the TMIC? Any other performance mods that do/dont need ECU tuning? Id like to do all the mods which require tuning BEFORE the tuning is done.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bugs
I just sold my Unichip to finance some new shoes for my MINI.

The car currently has a 15%Alta, Alta intake, Borla Race catback. And in the next month or so, rear sway, and hopefully some new springs.

Once the wheels and suspension upgrades are complete, I will look into ECU tuning again. This time not unichip. Not that I didnt like the UNichip, I am just not a fan of the way it works. Ive grown up with APR/GIAC chips and VWs. I like my code to be inside the ECU, not beside it.

Anyways on to my question.

MTH Tuner file, with the mods above listed I understand will work and work well. And I can easilly (and freely for 1 year) update my ECU if i put any new mods on. ,But which mods warrant/justify updating, and which ones will have no change?

Only other peformance mods I see adding are colder plugs, a larger TMIC, possibly +2% crank pulley and MAYBE an 'alta-nator' pulley.

I realize the pulleys will likely want some new programming to get the full use out of them, but what about the TMIC? Any other performance mods that do/dont need ECU tuning? Id like to do all the mods which require tuning BEFORE the tuning is done.
with the crank pulley and TMIC i would say upgrading might be necessaryl... (timing and fuel mapes may need to be adjusted)

Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BMDoubleU
with the crank pulley and TMIC i would say upgrading might be necessaryl... (timing and fuel mapes may need to be adjusted)
what about just the TMIC?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bugs
what about just the TMIC?
i am not sure... intercoolers cool down the charge and also reduce pressure (compared to stock intercooler).. however, it since charge temp and pressures varies a great deal i'm not completely sold on aftermarket intercoolers.. there might be some gain from tweaking the tuner file for an intercooler: however, i dont think it would be much.. IMHO

Andy, Insoc, etc????

good luck..

Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BMDoubleU
i am not sure... intercoolers cool down the charge and also reduce pressure (compared to stock intercooler).. however, it since charge temp and pressures varies a great deal i'm not completely sold on aftermarket intercoolers.. there might be some gain from tweaking the tuner file for an intercooler: however, i dont think it would be much.. IMHO

Andy, Insoc, etc????

good luck..
thats what I figured as well..

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

Now, which wheels to buy ;-)

Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
I don't see why intercoolers might need updating as it's primary function is to cool air down from increased boost (from reduced pulley).

But what about headers? I heard that headers would also require some tuning/updating. Can anyone agree?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Headers DO require updating with MTH files, along with SC pulleys and Crank Pulleys. Im also sure intercoolers are included, but im sure volker will chime in on this one.

I normally as a rule, if any of my customers have any performance enhancing mods added, then i will have the file changed to suit.

Simon

Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's hard to tell.

The basic operation of the motor is governed by the T-MAP sensor in the intake manifold, and a volumetric efficiency map in the ECU. Anything upstream of the T-MAP SHOULDN"T need a new map, as the VE map of the motor hasn't changed.

But the inner workings of the Siemens ECU aren't published, and what MTH does to make it's power aren't published either.

Headers and to a lessor degree, cat-backs will effect flow through the motor, as would head work, larger valves, and a cam. The only non-VE changing mod that would really require ECU work are injectors, as the calibration is used when determining how long to squirt fuel.

Hope this help. I know, it's a long winded "no one knows for sure, that is willing to share."

Matt

Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM
haulinS
3rd Gear
but doesn't MTH offer a "special map" for their header?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The basic operation of the motor is governed by the T-MAP sensor in the intake manifold, and a volumetric efficiency map in the ECU. Anything upstream of the T-MAP SHOULDN"T need a new map, as the VE map of the motor hasn't changed.

But the inner workings of the Siemens ECU aren't published, and what MTH does to make it's power aren't published either.

Headers and to a lessor degree, cat-backs will effect flow through the motor, as would head work, larger valves, and a cam. The only non-VE changing mod that would really require ECU work are injectors, as the calibration is used when determining how long to squirt fuel.

Hope this help. I know, it's a long winded "no one knows for sure, that is willing to share."

Matt

Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep.

Originally Posted by haulinS
but doesn't MTH offer a "special map" for their header?
Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 02:40 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Would the tuner file even be worth it with the mods that I have right now? Cold air intake, cat back exhaust? I am still on the fence with upgrading the pulley.

Garrett

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
do the pulley, 15% is enough

Originally Posted by garretwp
Would the tuner file even be worth it with the mods that I have right now? Cold air intake, cat back exhaust? I am still on the fence with upgrading the pulley.

Garrett

Old 02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I do not know why it is holding me back on getting a pulley. There have been not reported issues of problems with a 15%. I guess I am just worried that if I get it done, the dealer will give me a hard time about my warranty. Ill have to call helix up and get the current pricing. Was thinking of getting the special on the minimadness deal from luckydoggarage.

Garrett

Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Pully is the best bang for the buck in the mod world.

Originally Posted by garretwp
I do not know why it is holding me back on getting a pulley. There have been not reported issues of problems with a 15%. I guess I am just worried that if I get it done, the dealer will give me a hard time about my warranty. Ill have to call helix up and get the current pricing. Was thinking of getting the special on the minimadness deal from luckydoggarage.

Garrett
Makes real power. GTTs (out of england) is black, so it's not as noticable...

Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i lived that fear stage, but ones you put it on you forget about it. Car can handle 15% easy, and honestly, if your dealership is harda$$, they will give you hard time on your catback too. Thousands of ppl are on 15% proram, no major issues. I would recommend you to get it installed at a professional place, that will provide warranty on the parts.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I will have to give Helix a call. Many people suggest him and I have talked to him in the past. And for the fact that he is only 30-40 minutes away is nice as well. I just might take the plunge. Will make call tomorrow. You guys can put a hurting on anothers wallet!

Garrett

Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
yep, i have heard nothing but good things on Helix

Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I just checked their website and they have updated it! They now inlcude their rates and much more. I think that is a great move on their part! Now just need to get some more cash (trying to save here) and be on my way.

Garrett

Old 02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear