MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: Thinking about selling...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM
minitiger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about selling...advice?

Year: 2005
Make: MINI
Model: Convertible
Price: $0
Mileage: 36000
Color: Orange
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

Hi all--

I have an '05 MINI Cooper S Convertible with the John Cooper Works package and a number of other upgrades...not particularly relevant at the moment. Base price, when purchased in '05 was $30K and then the JCW was a dealer add-on.

Car has 36K miles on it and is in fantastic shape. Minimal work on it in the nearly 3 years I've had it. At the time of my purchase, it had only ~12K miles in 2011 and I figured I'd have it forever, but things don't always work out that way.

For a family of 4, my kids are already starting to out grow the backseat and we need to think about replacing our main family car as it has 150K miles on it--if not replacing, saving some cash over next year or so to replace if it dies...

It's not free and clear and I've never sold a car before, so I'm a little intimidated, but I don't really want to go the trade in route. So, looking for any advice you all might have on best ways to sell a MINI, especially one that is souped up--assuming the average car shopper may not quite understand the price point in comparison to other '05 MINI's they might see.

Thanks all--minitiger

Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would start out by advertising it here and other MINI forums. That way you have people looking at it that appreciate what you have and know the value. If that does not work you can part out the extras you put on it and get it back to stock if you did put any extras on it. Parts go fast in the Market Place. Good luck

Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never sell an R53. You will regret it. :-)

But if you must:

Check if there is a local MINI club in your area.
Is this a factory/dealer JCW car or do you have any other mods added to it?
If just JCW, Kelly Blue Book and MINI buyers know the difference between a base S and a JCW and it will increase the book value.
Have you sold cars private party before?
My advice is detail the car inside and out, including polishing the paintwork and a paintbrush or toothbrush to get every last bit of dust out of every little crack and corner and exterior. Detail the engine bay as well. If you don't know how to do this, hire someone. A clean car will sell faster and for more money than a rough car.

Fix any mechanical problems or disclose them. If the problems are more than the average for a car with similar miles, prepare to lower the price. If you can do your own work or know someone who can, you are often better off selling a car with no mechanical issues - one less thing for the buyer to decide to choose a different vehicle.
By disclosing, people will value your honesty. If you don't know what's wrong with your car, have it checked out (by someone who knows how to work on R53s!) and make sure any to-do list is ranked by degree of urgency/severity.

30K is low mileage for a car of this age and should attract some interest - but I've seen R53s with similar mileage that need shocks, control arm bushings passenger engine mount, crank position sensor o-ring, etc.

If you have additional mods - sad reality is most people will not value any of your mods. You will probably get more money by returning the car to stock the best you can and selling the mods separately locally or here on NAM.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM
minitiger
1st Gear
I don't have any mods--all the upgrades were factory or dealer.

I have not sold private party before, which is partially why I'm asking, as well. Thanks for the replies Mib and corners--much appreciated.

You're right that I may regret...will see what happens. Been easier to think about selling the past 5 months with this winter!! But, as it starts to warm up and the top goes down I may get cold feet!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
PM sent. Do you have any photos?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
MiamiTVR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am probably no longer looking for a MINI but I have been an active MINI seeker for a couple of years.

First, I was looking for a sidewalk edition S convertible as my weekend driver. After a long frustrating hunt I compromised to with a Crossfire SRT6 roadster instead. Next, it was a Clubman to replace my Volvo wagon as a day to day use car I was (am?) after.

While I was unsuccessful in the ultimate goal, I did see a pattern of quick sales on fairly priced cars with few to no sales on those above market. Those overpriced cars sat without selling until they became "old news". By the time the price was into a realistic range they did not generate enthusiasm and started on a downhill slide.

After market and dealer add-ons can add value if you find someone with the exact taste you have. I would suggest that at least as often they detract from value and saleability. As a rule, I would look to performance enhancement as something to have enjoyed while the car was owned and not look for any return on the investment beyond that.

I did not find my MINI so my advice may have no worth whatsoever but it is objective in that I am not wanting anything from you.

This is absolute best time of year to sell a convertible. Price is it right and it will be gone in a flash. MINI convertibles move fast.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Husam Hammadi
2nd Gear
It's really simple. Just put up a ad on craigslist and state the price you want it for.
Clean the exterior and interior very well, and get rid of any smells if there is any
Take good quality pictures and post them on craigslist/ mini forums

If someone wants to buy it, you'll need your title and to sign it over,and write the price. they don't necessary need to sign it when they get it but it's better if they do.

Also, if possible, don't price it over the price of "Excellent" in the Kelley blue book.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
minitiger
1st Gear
Thanks again for all the replies--good advice.

For those wondering--I have not yet made a 100% decision to sell. The comment from Corners is sticking in my head...Never sell an R53. You will regret it. :-)...

In any event, if I do, I will post with photos and full specs on this forum.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
onlycoopers
1st Gear
i agree with corners R53 with low miles is a treasure.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts
...especially an '05 or an '06!