MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

snow tires = social responsibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 AM
chilimac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow tires = social responsibility

morning rant: People spend hundreds or thousands of dollars getting accessories for their cars. whether it be booming systems from car toys, or GPS, ipod kit etc. But they will not spend $300 to buy snow tires for their cars. It is not only for their own safety but safety of everyone else on the road, ie families with kids in the car etc.

If you live in Denver I think you need to realize that snow tires are not a luxury but a necessity to comply with your social responsibility.

OK I am done.

MINI rocks the snowy roads with a simple set of Dunlop wintersport M3 tires on cheapo wheels.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really! And to think for only $5 you could win a set of snow tires and wheels. (shameless plug)
Check out our website for more info: www.mini5280.org

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
six-fingers
4th Gear
All I have to say, Is that I'm glad i live in Florida, granted we have the worst drivers in the country, but it doesn't snow, come to think of it I'm pretty sure thats why we have such horrible drivers.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 AM
old81
M6
After the light snow we had dumped last night, I agree. I'm not sure my all-season M&S are up to the 7 inches of snow I shoveled this morning.

I hope my raffle ticket gets pulled.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
we got a big pile of snow in Parker -- and I have great snow tires on my stock rims!! My summer fun tires are tucked away until spring!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
RockyMC40
3rd Gear
In Montreal it is a law to have snow tires. I think they should implement this AT LEAST in the mountains, I think we would see a big drop in accidents. People need to realize all seasons is code for NO seasons and do not work well in snowy mountain conditions. I must say even with my snow tires my mini is not much of a winter car. Currently trying to find my self a winter beater for trips to the mountains and days like today.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 PM
chilimac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RockyMC40
In Montreal it is a law to have snow tires. I think they should implement this AT LEAST in the mountains, I think we would see a big drop in accidents. People need to realize all seasons is code for NO seasons and do not work well in snowy mountain conditions. I must say even with my snow tires my mini is not much of a winter car. Currently trying to find my self a winter beater for trips to the mountains and days like today.
I am quite happy with the winter performance of the MINI with the proper tires. I drove our 2002 R53 to ski weekends a few times and it has never had problems. Even deep snow is OK as long as it is fresh and new, the car plows through it. The MINI would be useless in the deep ruts that we had a couple of years ago though.

I just wish the law enforcement did not have to dictate common sense and accountability.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RockyMC40
Currently trying to find my self a winter beater for trips to the mountains and days like today.
I went a ahead and bought a 96 Jeep Cherokee back in October for this very reason (and some light off roading). Also it's a great piece of mind for me to not have to take the MINI out in snowy conditions and risk an accident, knowing how some people recklessly drive in the snow. Kinda(but not really) like a separate insurance policy that I can drive. It's nice to keep a clean, dry and warm MINI in the garage and not have the paint/wheels messed up by sand and Mag-Chloride on the road.

So the summer/wheels tires will remain on the MINI and it will only be seen on those nice winter days when the roads are clean and dry!! Meanwhile the Jeep will take the brunt of the winter weather and will be used in the summer for camping trips!

But I do agree, if you don't have the luxury of having a winter beater then snow tires should be used for the safety of yourself and others! I have a co worker who has a Ford Focus with 2 Studded snow tires up front and 2 regular snow tires on the rear, and can get along pretty much just as if he had 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by MiniEnvy; 12-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one reason I like going to work at 5:45 am. Less people and I can usally go around the people that are going 7mph in a straight line. If it's too scary or dangerous for them I wish they would stay home. Or buy some snow tires or a raffle ticket.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
RockyMC40
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chilimac
I am quite happy with the winter performance of the MINI with the proper tires. I drove our 2002 R53 to ski weekends a few times and it has never had problems. Even deep snow is OK as long as it is fresh and new, the car plows through it. The MINI would be useless in the deep ruts that we had a couple of years ago though.

I just wish the law enforcement did not have to dictate common sense and accountability.

Issues I ran into were ice mainly. I was stuck on the hill going east towards the eisenhower tunnel, it was so ice I would just spin and from time to time slide backwards. I luckly made it but it was a long drive home.

I used to have a saab 92x which was a Subaru badged as a Saab. After that my expectations are high. I was often out in the snow before my father could get his brand new 4runner out.

I went a ahead and bought a 96 Jeep Cherokee back in October for this very reason (and some light off roading). Also it's a great piece of mind for me to not have to take the MINI out in snowy conditions and risk an accident, knowing how some people recklessly drive in the snow. Kinda(but not really) like a separate insurance policy that I can drive. It's nice to keep a clean, dry and warm MINI in the garage and not have the paint/wheels messed up by sand and Mag-Chloride on the road.

So the summer/wheels tires will remain on the MINI and it will only be seen on those nice winter days when the roads are clean and dry!! Meanwhile the Jeep will take the brunt of the winter weather and will be used in the summer for camping trips!

But I do agree, if you don't have the luxury of having a winter beater then snow tires should be used for the safety of yourself and others! I have a co worker who has a Ford Focus with 2 Studded snow tires up front and 2 regular snow tires on the rear, and can get along pretty much just as if he had 4 wheel drive.

You have the right idea here. Its as much preventing damage to my car is it is not having the perfect snow car. I cringe when I see the mag chloride being sprayed on our roads and the pile of sand in the middle of the lane. I spend a lot of time driving to the mountains so a winter car is justifiable... i guess.

The cherokee is a nice Jeep. That 4.0 I6 is a great motor. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Good choice. I looked at cherokees and decided I need some more towing power so I will probably end up with a late 90s Chevy Tahoe. I hope I dont feel like im driving a air craft carrier but well see.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Good thing my other car is a 4x4 ford ranger with snow tires. The mini does not come out and play in this kind of weather.
Jorge
DS 07 MCS