MTTS Review and Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 AM
AprilWhine
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats MINIUSA on pulling off the most audacious MINI event ever! You win for time, distance, and just grandious concept.

Fuzzy and I started with the GP delivery in Monterey. Wow! I snivelled about the $2k charge for the event but I was sooooo wrong! It would have been worth doing at five times the price! Meeting the executives from MINIUSA in a social setting was amazing and when Jim McDowell introduced Kay Segler we went into overload.

But on to the road...

The kick off beach party was the best event we attended. Morning fog with cool breezes and beautiful CA beach setting gave it a magical aura that would be hard to top. Meeting Jeff Stracco as he handed out swag bags was a surprise, and I think he was surprised that I recognized him from driving the cabrio at the Dragon a few years ago. He's a cutie, easy to remember. The beach music fit with the setting and was loud enough to hear but quiet enough to allow conversations. Parking was adjacent and plentiful, allowing us to wander through and admire the cars too, always the prime feature of a MINI event.

Last night, we attended the wrap party in Jersey City. Having the NYC skyline in the background made for scenic photo ops. Jim McDowell was one of the people who made the entire trip and he looked healthy and happy. The VIP tent was a nice touch, kept us out of the sun. But the band was a bit too loud, we couldn't talk to the other MINI owners there. Parking was too far away to let us admire each others' cars, but that was to be expected in Jersey City.

All together, I am amazed at how well Trudy Hardy and RA Events did on staging this event. Well Done!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
I only had the pleasure of picking up the DC to JC leg...and I agree with your statements! What a great time...and I wish now I would have started at the beginning!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
We picked up in C-vile,Va to JC,NJ. I am so tired, I feel like I have been doing this for the last two weeks! I can't imagine how the crew that went the whole fandango feel!
But WHAT a great time! Last night we took the Path train into NYC. What an emotional train ride...Actually went through ground zero. VERY EMOTIONAL!!! I was not expecting to go through the foundation of the buildings. That is something we will never forget for sure. Thanks MINI USA for getting the hotel right next to the Path Train stop. The best $3 round trip I ever took.
And WHAT a view! We were in the BEST room. Look to the right, Statue of Liberty, look to the left, NYC skyline! WOW!!
I must say, MINI pulled off a FANTASTIC trip! I wish I could have taken the time off to do more!
THANKS

Old 09-04-2006, 08:09 PM
dobe2049
Neutral
Did anybody get a Grill badge? or know how i can get one. they never had any when i wanted one.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AprilWhine

Congrats MINIUSA on pulling off the most audacious MINI event ever! You win for time, distance, and just grandious concept.

Fuzzy and I started with the GP delivery in Monterey. Wow! I snivelled about the $2k charge for the event but I was sooooo wrong! It would have been worth doing at five times the price! Meeting the executives from MINIUSA in a social setting was amazing and when Jim McDowell introduced Kay Segler we went into overload.

But on to the road...

The kick off beach party was the best event we attended. Morning fog with cool breezes and beautiful CA beach setting gave it a magical aura that would be hard to top. Meeting Jeff Stracco as he handed out swag bags was a surprise, and I think he was surprised that I recognized him from driving the cabrio at the Dragon a few years ago. He's a cutie, easy to remember. The beach music fit with the setting and was loud enough to hear but quiet enough to allow conversations. Parking was adjacent and plentiful, allowing us to wander through and admire the cars too, always the prime feature of a MINI event.

Last night, we attended the wrap party in Jersey City. Having the NYC skyline in the background made for scenic photo ops. Jim McDowell was one of the people who made the entire trip and he looked healthy and happy. The VIP tent was a nice touch, kept us out of the sun. But the band was a bit too loud, we couldn't talk to the other MINI owners there. Parking was too far away to let us admire each others' cars, but that was to be expected in Jersey City.

All together, I am amazed at how well Trudy Hardy and RA Events did on staging this event. Well Done!
Was there any indication if this was a one time deal or if Mini plans on another?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer
Was there any indication if this was a one time deal or if Mini plans on another?
Since this was supposed to be the celebration for the release of the GP, I doubt it. I was thinking that they may do something for the 50th anniversary of the Mini name or something like that. I believe 2009 should be 50 years.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 AM
AprilWhine
3rd Gear
AFAIK, one time only deal. But if MINIUSA ever decides to do it again, just tell me what car I have to buy to participate.

We started in our GP and finished in the daisy car, so bought grill badges for both. Love them, very high quality swag.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The grapevine in Indy said that there will be another MTTS event in 2008.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Lesson Learned: Slow down in Gauley Bridge, WV!!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Lesson Learned: Slow down in Gauley Bridge, WV!!!!
Did you get a ticket?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Yes I did!!

There were 9 of us, plus the MINI of Pittsburgh Grill car, motoring on Route 60, between Charleston, WV and VA. (Gauley Bridge, WV)

I was in the lead, following a big dump truck that was kicking up gravel. The two lane road went to four lanes by an exit and we all bunched together to pass. Right into a speed zone. I was clocked at 59 in a 45 zone, it is a good thing I was not clocked just 20 seconds sooner!

The nice officer wrote me up for 49 in a 45 zone (no points), the fine is $150

Steve

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Oh...ick...sorry to hear that Steve. I only know of one person from DC to JC who got a ticket. And the cop was nice enough to change it from speeding (60 in a 45) to a headlight out. Cops can be so nice sometimes!!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
IOmini_punkin
3rd Gear
We did the first 3 legs and I agree with what I've read so far. It was an [FONT=&quot]We did the first 3 legs and I agree with what I've read so far. It was an amazing event and more fun than I imagined. My wife was apprehensive about going at all but she had a blast. The car attracts a different breed of owner and they are fun to be with and around. The staff from Mini USA that we met were a blast. I wish I worked at such a fun forward thinking place.

I'd also like to thank our sponsors, especially the New Yorker, Flagstaff was our last day and the car wash was a very sweet event. The kids the photos the experience were a nice touch. We really must do this again.

My review out of a maximum two.[/FONT]

Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
It would have been me

for the ticket in WV, if i would have gone, no way I am going to lose a windshield over some truck! I would have floored it also. Cops knew in WV that this was the day to double their states assets.
-Mel did you see your cousin down their
Make sure you post pics so I can link them to the frappr

Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Annewithane
The grapevine in Indy said that there will be another MTTS event in 2008.
I heard the same thing....Also heard it will go from Washington State to Florida...

Donna

Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Sweet

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I Had a interview with Andrew(in front of my "MINI Takes The States" car) which with my one question I asked when will this happen again. I don't know when Fireball Tim will air the Show. The anwser is striaght from MINIUSA.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Capias
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Yes I did!!

There were 9 of us, plus the MINI of Pittsburgh Grill car, motoring on Route 60, between Charleston, WV and VA. (Gauley Bridge, WV)

I was in the lead, following a big dump truck that was kicking up gravel. The two lane road went to four lanes by an exit and we all bunched together to pass. Right into a speed zone. I was clocked at 59 in a 45 zone, it is a good thing I was not clocked just 20 seconds sooner!

The nice officer wrote me up for 49 in a 45 zone (no points), the fine is $150

Steve
Wow! Here we were all upset that 'Trooper Cooper' gave us one for $75 for doing 84 in a 65. I'm feeling worse for yours being at a lower speed yet coming in at $150. Ouch!

As for the 2008 tour....I kept hearing that they were planning on doing a Seattle to Key West journey. That would be a good one if it gets organized. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
Wonderful people, loud music.

Attached Thumbnails MTTS Review and Lessons Learned-dsc_0025_edited-2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Check www.minitakesthestates.com, they updated the photo for the east coast, see if you made the cut. I am on their twice.

Click on the leg, then photos on the Right.

www.mttsphotos.com
If you want to buy, wait till sept. 7th.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Great pics! I love that they mentioned our side trip to Nutt's!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
WVMINIO8
1st Gear
Mike, Did you not go RT.60? We had a great time goin' that way. There was 5 of us including MINI FINI. Shame the Mystery Hole wasn't open yet. I listed some of the towns to watch out for Speeding on the WV Alt. route sheet I made. I guess I forgot about Gauley Bridge. Sorry!! Otherwise, how did you guys rate that route?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
Here's the full Motor Trend article brought to you by Stoopid herself:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...es_the_states/

the last updates are in!!!!

it almost made my boss tear up at the end!

stoopid is the best!

Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
I would love to do this again. Maybe even take the time to go all the way. But I wonder, would it still have as many MINIs? I cam on this one to see the GP. Just wondering what will be out in '08?

Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNurse
I would love to do this again. Maybe even take the time to go all the way. But I wonder, would it still have as many MINIs? I cam on this one to see the GP. Just wondering what will be out in '08?
Hmmmmm just keep your eyes open. There might be something going on before 2008 (not that I'm saying anything might be going on..... )

Quick Reply: MTTS Review and Lessons Learned