MINI Parts for Sale Search and shop for all your MINI parts here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

WTB:: FaceLift Xenons Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:46 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FaceLift Xenons Needed

Category: Lights
Price: $0
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (you may select multiples): R53
Location (Region): NorthEast
Item Condition: Used

Hello,

I am a 2005 Mini Cooper S owner and I'm looking for an upgrade from my sucky Halogen headlights.

Looking to buy Used 2005+ Facelift OEM Xenon's. Need both sides and ballasts. And I dont think I will be doing leveling sensors since it is not required by law on non-bi xenons.

I'm lacking knowledge here but i dont care about the functionality of the washer but it at least needs to look good. My MCS did not come with them.

PM me, comment, or contact at 631-897-9484 and I'll get back to you!

Shoutout to pnwR53S for the reminder on the leveling sensors. However, install time is very long and extensive. I might pass on these.

Last edited by cdemarco4; 05-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by cdemarco4
Hello,

I am a 2005 Mini Cooper S owner and I'm looking for an upgrade from my sucky Halogen headlights.

Looking to buy Used 2005+ Facelift OEM Xenon's. Need both sides and ballasts (the whole sha-bang please)

PM me, comment, or contact at 631-897-9484 and I'll get back to you!
Don't forget you will also need the front and rear levering sensors too.

The following users liked this post:
cdemarco4 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM
jbecke2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy a set of new Depo Headlights and install some DDM Tuning HIDs. It is going to be cheaper and easier to do. You just loose the self leveling. Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set I just pulled out of my '05. They have the washer nozzles. I switched to lighter headlights since I'm building a track car. No need for big bulky Xenons.

cdemarco4 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 PM
minicooperlover22
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Don't forget you will also need the front and rear levering sensors too.
You don't need the sensors. You will need to make sure to have your BCM reprogrammed in order to make the lights not "flicker"

Im currently doing the same thing and I have had multiple people tell me different things. I finally talked to Way down at Way Motor Works and he told me that you just need the lights to be programmed.

cdemarco4 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:54 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
For what's worth, self-leveling is required by law. I just hope your install does not result in blinding the on coming traffic. I seen all too many axxhxxls aftermarket installs with no regard to others safety.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

cdemarco4 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
I have a set I just pulled out of my '05. They have the washer nozzles. I switched to lighter headlights since I'm building a track car. No need for big bulky Xenons.
Will PM you regarding these.. would be interested

Old 05-02-2018, 06:26 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jbecke2
You can buy a set of new Depo Headlights and install some DDM Tuning HIDs. It is going to be cheaper and easier to do. You just loose the self leveling. Just my 2 cents...
Been posting in here (link below) weighing the options... scoping out used xenons or doing the Depo + LED.

Check it out: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...onversion.html

Old 05-02-2018, 06:27 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
For what's worth, self-leveling is required by law. I just hope your install does not result in blinding the on coming traffic. I seen all too many axxhxxls aftermarket installs with no regard to others safety.

Couldnt agree more! I need all the light I can get onto the road so proper aiming is a priority for sure.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperlover22
You don't need the sensors. You will need to make sure to have your BCM reprogrammed in order to make the lights not "flicker"

Im currently doing the same thing and I have had multiple people tell me different things. I finally talked to Way down at Way Motor Works and he told me that you just need the lights to be programmed.
I know the sensors are a luxury but if I can get them included why not!

100% on top of the programming. As the kids these days...I got a guy

Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I've tried a number of headlights on my MINI, all except the facelift xenons!

It may be different on pre-facelift MINIs (mine is an '03), but replacing the stock halogen ones with OEM pre-facelift xenon lights did not require a re-program for me. MINI did change the body control module programming over the years though, so I'm guessing the reprogram is only needed on later years.

Someone mentioned that HID lights have to be auto-leveling to be legal. This is actually only true in Europe. In the US, based on what I've read, only bi-xenon lights would have to be auto-leveling, which the R53 xenons are not. My advice is to just make sure you aim them correctly. I have seen complaints on threads here about the auto-leveling actually decreasing visibility at night.

Installing the auto leveling sensors is also a very time-consuming job (see attached PDF).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
retrofitXenonsNewstyle.pdf (915.6 KB, 79 views)
cdemarco4 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
I've tried a number of headlights on my MINI, all except the facelift xenons!

It may be different on pre-facelift MINIs (mine is an '03), but replacing the stock halogen ones with OEM pre-facelift xenon lights did not require a re-program for me. MINI did change the body control module programming over the years though, so I'm guessing the reprogram is only needed on later years.

Someone mentioned that HID lights have to be auto-leveling to be legal. This is actually only true in Europe. In the US, based on what I've read, only bi-xenon lights would have to be auto-leveling, which the R53 xenons are not. My advice is to just make sure you aim them correctly. I have seen complaints on threads here about the auto-leveling actually decreasing visibility at night.

Installing the auto leveling sensors is also a very time-consuming job (see attached PDF).

Now thissssss is a proper install guide. The install of the whole kit seems like a job with a ton of trim panel removal. Auto leveling might not be in my future and i'm totally alright with that. I'm used to aiming by hand so OKAY with me. Might edit my original post to accomadate this. Uber thank you

Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cdemarco4
Now thissssss is a proper install guide. The install of the whole kit seems like a job with a ton of trim panel removal. Auto leveling might not be in my future and i'm totally alright with that. I'm used to aiming by hand so OKAY with me. Might edit my original post to accomadate this. Uber thank you

Glad to help! I actually just got done installing the headlight washers on mine a month or two ago (install for that attached if you're interested in what's involved)

Instead of letting the body control module decide when the headlight washers activate, I installed a switch from 1970-80's Porsches. (See this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rs-on-r53.html).

I'm working on a revising a set of HID projector retrofits in the Sonar/Spyder headlights right now that I should finish up in a week or so, and that's the final setup I'm going to stick with. Here's my original how-to on it from a few years ago:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight_Washer_Retrofit.pdf (344.9 KB, 33 views)
cdemarco4 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Glad to help! I actually just got done installing the headlight washers on mine a month or two ago (install for that attached if you're interested in what's involved)

Instead of letting the body control module decide when the headlight washers activate, I installed a switch from 1970-80's Porsches. (See this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rs-on-r53.html).

I'm working on a revising a set of HID projector retrofits in the Sonar/Spyder headlights right now that I should finish up in a week or so, and that's the final setup I'm going to stick with. Here's my original how-to on it from a few years ago:

Huge Props!!!