Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Electrical wiring for head light washers on R53

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical wiring for head light washers on R53

I'm installing a set of factory Xenon head lights on my 2006 R53. This weekend I had a chance to take care of some maintance items around the car. Since I had the wheels off for swapping out brake pads and installing strut tower reinforcement plates (steel plate inside the wheel well, M7 aluminum on top) and knocked out the studs in the factory hats and replaced w. longer grade 10.9 hardware to lock it all in place... anyway.

Wheels off so I installed the driver side washer bottle & pump for the head lights. Good news was that I got that installed with out having to remove the exterior fender.

Question at hand is what is the best way to wire this into the washer controls? Is there a factory sub harness that I can buy? I do have a wire pigtail/connector for the pump so I can extend that to reach what I need.

Strut plates in place, bottle installed

Washer hoses routed under hood liner

Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
SO...
There is a "retrofit" kit that is sold as part # 61610029748

Which looks like this:

It includes a wiring harness but it seems that this harness is not available out side of this kit.

The connector @ the pump only has 2 connectors however the harness branches 4 ways according to the install guide. Does anyone have experiance w. installing one of these before?

I have the pig tail for the connector so I could build the rest of the harness if I understood how it splices.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
It might need more than just a splice, but also a reprogram of the computer since the headlight washers activate every 4 times or so you wash the windscreen....some folks have needed to get the bcm programed to get rid of a flickering of the xenons after retrofit.
Sorry i cannot help you more, but this might get it a quick bump....
One more suggestion....you might be able to get the harness from a salvaged mini....

Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
Install guide for washers says that I will need to program.
Which is fine since I need to do that for the headlights,already.

Agreed,on a junked Harness going to hit a local yard on Fridays and see what I can turn up.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:44 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Reviving this thread! Did you ever sort out how to get this wired in?

The headlight washer relay is unfortunately missing from the Bentley manual wiring diagrams.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Reviving this thread! Did you ever sort out how to get this wired in?

The headlight washer relay is unfortunately missing from the Bentley manual wiring diagrams.
I didn't - they are still not wired.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Oh no!

I'll do some more searching on this and see if I can get the pinout numbers from the body control module and the headlight relay. That seems to be the key to getting these wired in.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Starting to piece this together. Headlight washer signal is sent out of Pin 4 on the natural colored connector out of the body control unit. (Connector X254).

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/54-20...trol-unit.html

Next step is to see what pins lead to the relay on the fuse panel.

Last edited by gknorr; 02-03-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: connector number was incorrect, should be X254, corrected now
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Just found this scan from the Haynes manual (I only have the Bentley).

This gives all the info. needed for the install I think! Box 5 is the driver's side fusebox where the fuse and relay is located.

Box 14 shows the X254 connector sending a signal out of pin 4 to trigger the relay.

The only thing I'm a little hazy on is which connector on the fuse box we would need to wire into. It seems to be saying its pin 1 on two different connectors on the back of the fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical wiring for head light washers on R53-wiper2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
I'd like to get to the bottom of this, the washers are the last bit of this project that's incomplete.

I had the car reflashed so the HID lights don't flicker and I added the fog light kit as well that I pinned into the chassis harness.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
would some hints to the diagram legend help?

Sm(3)/1 = black connector, 3 pin; pin 1
Tr(6)/1 = transparent connector, 6 way; pin 1
Bl(12)/1 = blue 12 pin connector, pin 1
5 = pass' compartment fuse box
14 = general control unit
Bl(54)/4 = blue 54 pin connector, pin 4

6 = engine compartment fuse box
7 = luggage compartment fuse box (S only)

46 = headlight washer pump
37 = wash/wipe switch

I'm pretty sure this was in the message that held the diagram .....

(remember auf deutsch, black = schwartz hence Sw thanks to BMW influence!)

Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
would some hints to the diagram legend help?

Sm(3)/1 = black connector, 3 pin; pin 1
Tr(6)/1 = transparent connector, 6 way; pin 1
Bl(12)/1 = blue 12 pin connector, pin 1
5 = pass' compartment fuse box
14 = general control unit
Bl(54)/4 = blue 54 pin connector, pin 4

6 = engine compartment fuse box
7 = luggage compartment fuse box (S only)

46 = headlight washer pump
37 = wash/wipe switch

I'm pretty sure this was in the message that held the diagram .....

(remember auf deutsch, black = schwartz hence Sw thanks to BMW influence!)
Very helpful, thanks!

I went to a salvage yard today to get some other parts of a MINI and the car also had the headlight washers. I pulled the parts and connectors so I can install the washers later this year when I do a headlight swap. I also traced the wiring, and all of it matched the diagram, with one exception!

The connector listed for the body control unit is incorrect. It is actually pin 4 coming out of the white 54-pin connector, not the blue one. (there was nothing in pin 4 on the blue connector. The white connector also corresponds with the pin-out listing on the totalmini site I posted earlier.

So, for the install, I believe we just need 3 wires and a relay added:
  1. Pin 4 of white 54-pin connector out of the BC1 running to pin 1 of blue 12-pin connector on the back of the driver's side fuse box
  2. Pin 1 of the white 6-pin connector out of the fusebox running to pin 2 of the washer pump (this should be thick for high current)
  3. Pin 1 out of the washer pump should lead to a ground point (not sure which one is "E2", but any ground should work
  4. Add another green relay above the other ones on the driver's side fusebox.

I think all the other wires are already in place.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the HAYNES (and any) wiring diagram is a 'snap shot' at the time

that the specifics changed the next day surprises me not

and is a routine thing when working on my classic!

Old 02-04-2017, 07:21 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the HAYNES (and any) wiring diagram is a 'snap shot' at the time

that the specifics changed the next day surprises me not

and is a routine thing when working on my classic!
I can only imagine!

If I'm able to get this retrofitted later this year, I'll be sure to update here. I'm pretty sure that adding those wire and the relay along adding the coding should do it.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bernie (NoVA)
I'd like to get to the bottom of this, the washers are the last bit of this project that's incomplete.

I had the car reflashed so the HID lights don't flicker and I added the fog light kit as well that I pinned into the chassis harness.
Do you already have all the right connectors for this? If not, let me know. I just got all the connectors from a salvage yard yesterday and could take pictures of the terminal sizes needed or even stop by the dealer just down the street from me and compare side-by-side for the correct part numbers. Let me know!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Do you already have all the right connectors for this? If not, let me know. I just got all the connectors from a salvage yard yesterday and could take pictures of the terminal sizes needed or even stop by the dealer just down the street from me and compare side-by-side for the correct part numbers. Let me know!
Headlights & fogs are done & working. I have the pigtail for the headlight washer bottle but I don't have any interior pigtails, etc. If you have some spares that would be great.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Headlights & fogs are done & working. I have the pigtail for the headlight washer bottle but I don't have any interior pigtails, etc. If you have some spares that would be great.
I might. I'll check my parts box later tonight and let you know.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
I checked and I don't have any extra of the connectors needed for this. I might be going back to the salvage yard MINI one last time at some point over the next month and could get them then from other wires, or could stop by the dealer just down the street from me and pickup the right ones by comparing side-by-side. They tend to have a bunch of terminals in stock (I know from past wiring projects!) and probably have the right ones. Would probably be a few bucks I'm guessing.

I haven't done the install yet, so can't confirm 100% that this will work, but it looks hopeful.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Install guide for washers says that I will need to program.
Which is fine since I need to do that for the headlights,already.
Here we are almost a year later and I finally got around to trying my proposed wiring to get these working. I also attempted to code it with NCSexpert, but the setting is not in my BC1.C03 like it is in the later BC1.C05, C06, and C07 BC1 units. Nevertheless, I did find the setting elsewhere and it appears to be activated, however, I haven't been able to get them working. It may be a coding issue, it may be a wiring issue - I'm not sure.

Bernie, you mentioned an install guide for the washers - do you still happen have it?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
I found it in German!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5578de.pdf (346.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
...and in English!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5578en.pdf (344.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
After reviewing the official instructions, I believe all of the wiring I proposed and used on my install is correct, so I think my problem is a coding one.

I've been able to do a lot of coding with NCSexpert, but this is one that has eluded me, mainly because it doesn't show up when choose the BC1 module, only the "Process Car" option, and I'm not sure that option is working correctly.

I'll give the dealer a call to see what they would charge for the coding or stop by Way motor works when I'm down that way in a month or so...

If you have a later MINI with the BC1.C05 body control unit or later, you shouldn't have any trouble coding with NCSexpert since the option (scheinwerferreinigung) shows up. Likewise, if you don't like them, they could be coded off with NCSexpert too.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 PM
Bernie (NoVA)
2nd Gear
Our Mini is a 2006.
Can you direct me on where to source the software/interface that you are using to code it?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Our Mini is a 2006.
Can you direct me on where to source the software/interface that you are using to code it?
I tried to code it with NCS expert. This is the site where I got my cable and software:

http://www.bcables.com/#xl_anchor_start

Since you have a 2006, the setting for the the headlight washers, named "scheinwerferreinigung" in NCS expert should be visible when you select the BC1 module for processing. You'll have to change it to "aktiv." For some reason on earlier years BC1 modules like mine, it's not visible when selecting the BC1 module.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
An update on this. I found the "scheinwerferreinigung" if I chose the "process car" option and set it to aktiv with NCSexpert. To make sure any changes I was putting in were getting coded, I also changed a fog light setting, which did get coded. However, the headlight washers are still not working. It is possible the used pump I put in is defective, so I'm going to try to troubleshoot it over the weekend.

In the meantime, I ran across a bunch of mentions of people complaining about the lack of control they have on when the headlight washers actually activate, and thought...well, why not just bypass the BC1 and put in my own switch for it? It just so happens that Porsches from the late 70's and through the 80's had a headlight washer switch that I think will work perfectly (part number 91161331901). I'll wire it in so that the relay is grounded through the porsche switch instead of the BC1, and then I'll be able to activate them whenever I'd like! If all goes as planned, I should have some time this weekend to install it.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical wiring for head light washers on R53-91161331901.jpg  

Last edited by gknorr; 03-24-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Electrical wiring for head light washers on R53