Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Tigger 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missed shift

Originally Posted by Systemlord
If you have been driving a manual transmission for a long period of time shifting becomes second nature after 27 years driving manuals.
I've driven my share of manuals too. 454 Chevys...etc. Never missed a shift in any of my automatics though...lol

Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearheadaddy
Never missed a shift in any of my automatics though...lol
Good point. I used to bracket race a 68 Firebird with a 455, 4 speed Muncie, plus lots of other goodies with a friend. He missed third one day at the strip and the motor let go. Parts of the engine went through the hood and the left front tire blew out. He got out ok but that was the end of that ride.

On another point, the annoying valvetrain tap has started up again. It's far less noticeable than when it first happened but it's not supposed to be there at all. (Note to self: Don't ever bother doing a cam swap on an N18). I think I'm just going to order a new head from BMW. The new ones come with the intake cam and valvetrain pre-set already, you just have to install the exhaust cam.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
I was recently asked a question about using Boostane octane booster instead of 100 octane race fuel for the Manic tunes that require it. So I did a little research. Boostane's website claims that one 32oz can of Boostane when mixed with 20 gal of 93 octane pump gas will give you a fuel mixture with a rating of 100 octane. Which based on the independent studies they have posted on-line, it does...

But... and this is a big BUT. The octane rating listed on the website, and in the independent studies conducted are RON only!!!

Normal pump gas and race fuel octane ratings are derived from a formula ((R+M)/2)=octane rating.
R=RON - Research Octane Number - per ASTM standard D2699
M=MON - Motor Octane Number - per ASTM standard D2700

As an example, 93 octane pump gas has a RON of 98 and a MON of 88. This averages to 93 octane. Most octane boosters, including Boostane only show RON, and would have you believe the one can of whatever it is will go a long way. Sadly, this is not the case. I've run the numbers, and you would need one 32oz can of Boostane per FIVE gallons of 93 octane gas to reach an actual octane rating of 100.

So as a short term solution when 100 octane race fuel is not available it should be a workable solution. Keep in mind when using an additive that you must take into account the 2.1 gallons of reserve fuel that does not show on the fuel gauge.

Think I'll still stick with methanol though. It has an 80 year track record with lots of data demonstrating it's effectiveness. Plus I like the evaporative cooling effects, and the idea of reduced carbon accumulation on the intake valves.
What toluene tigger ? Currently already used in hasoline already.
Heres something for everyone to read.
http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/audi/toluene.html

Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
What toluene tigger ? Currently already used in hasoline already.
Heres something for everyone to read.
http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/audi/toluene.html
As an octane booster it works much like MMT just not as effectively. The point I really want to get across is that even race fuel in itself is a short term solution only for vehicles running a Stage 3+ or higher. Those intake temperatures I mentioned previously are real numbers from a Stage 3+ with a GT Dominator turbo and a Forge intercooler. For short burst those intercoolers are fine. However, for a ***** out, hail marry, kick in the pants 0 to 150 mph run, your intake temps will skyrocket without meth or a much better intercooler.

Torque steer on these autos without an LSD is a real *****. I'd be afraid to let a normal person drive the car without turning it down to Map A at least. That's the other reason I'm thinking about a stick. Traction? What's that?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
As an octane booster it works much like MMT just not as effectively. The point I really want to get across is that even race fuel in itself is a short term solution only for vehicles running a Stage 3+ or higher. Those intake temperatures I mentioned previously are real numbers from a Stage 3+ with a GT Dominator turbo and a Forge intercooler. For short burst those intercoolers are fine. However, for a ***** out, hail marry, kick in the pants 0 to 150 mph run, your intake temps will skyrocket without meth or a much better intercooler.

Torque steer on these autos without an LSD is a real *****. I'd be afraid to let a normal person drive the car without turning it down to Map A at least. That's the other reason I'm thinking about a stick. Traction? What's that?
Plus 1 on that note. They are not kids toys were we are. Hehehehe. Now i just got get busy. Ugh ! Not again

Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Ok so new heads aren't cheap. Best price I could find was $2,300. Also looked at the tranny swap in some detail, and what a PIA. Even after all the mechanicals are completed you have to recode the ECU, CAS, KOMBI etc.. so while Tigger is in the shop I went shopping. Took a bit of looking cause I wanted something very specific. I wanted a 2012 JCW R58 (last year of the N14) with a stick (LSD anyone?), sat/nav, adaptive Xenon's, automatic climate control and the factory Recaro seats...oh and it needed to be low mileage and preferably black. I'm not really picky, just very particular lol.

So please say hello to my little friend.

I've only installed IP coils and LED tail lights at this point. Need to get rid of some chrome, add a GP2 diffuser and JCW wing... also need to get rid of those skinny tires and rims, add an RSB, LSD, FMIC, exhaust, and oh yeah the Proteus intake. Hmm... I wonder if there's a 12 step program for my condition?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I love how the red pops out at you, so what are your plans for this coupe? Also that front bumper bottom trim is to high off the ground, lower that sucker!

Old 05-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Welcome to the R58 club My wife and I recently picked up our 2014 Manual S and we love it!

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind?
1) How did you go about searching for your ride? (i.e. was it a waiting game or did you develop a method for searching that helped you discover options?)
When searching for our Coupe we had specifics as well. Took us roughly a year and a half before we found what we were looking for (equipment, price)
2) What was your thought process for choosing the N14 over the N18? (My best guess is because of the work you've done with Tigger?)

Anyways, this is awesome and I am really hope you keep a build log similar to what you've done for Tigger

Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm guessing he chose the N14 over the N18 because he wants to be able to play around with different cams.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Very nice, gl

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Thanks Guys,

I've been looking at Coupes since last October on Autotrader and narrowing down what I wanted. It also helped that a buddy of mine at Mini can pull the maintenance history file by VIN and let me know whats been done to a car.

There's actually two reasons I wanted an N14. One reason being the cam options, as cerenkov mentioned. The other reason is for developmental purposes on the Proteus intake system. Since the PCV system is different from the N18 I needed to ensure the kit includes adapters to fit both, or be able to offer two separate kits based on engine model. Sounds like a business expense to me, yes?

As far as why a Coupe over another R56? I'll be honest it was a really tough decision, but the stiffer chassis and 150 lb lower curb weight won out in the end. Plus every since the R58 came out I've loved the look of the car. It doesn't quite have that proper English Mini look to it per say. More like what you would get if somebody pissed off a Mini engineer by cutting them off in a Lotus while he was on his way to work.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:50 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
So what are your plans for Tigger?

The coupes are nice looking, the rake of the windscreen make it really sleek. The roof line does take some getting used to but in the end it's a great car. I definitely like the look of the JCW wing.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Yeah the roofline seems to be missing something without the wing, or at least the spoiler deployed. Not sure yet on Tigger. Probably detune him a bit and sell him or possibly trade him in with my wife's car. She's been eyeing the Countryman S for a while now. She's already told me however, no tuning the Countryman. Maybe she won't notice a Stage 1 lol.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Tigger 2.0

wait am I missing something? what happened to trigger? one minute we are talking about piston slap and swapping to a manual and than u have a new car and trigger is in the shop lol

did I miss a post somewhere?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by minivinnie92
wait am I missing something? what happened to trigger? one minute we are talking about piston slap and swapping to a manual and than u have a new car and trigger is in the shop lol

did I miss a post somewhere?
Re-read post 306. It's explained.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Welcome to the R58 club you will love it!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
On another point, the annoying valvetrain tap has started up again. It's far less noticeable than when it first happened but it's not supposed to be there at all. (Note to self: Don't ever bother doing a cam swap on an N18). I think I'm just going to order a new head from BMW. The new ones come with the intake cam and valvetrain pre-set already, you just have to install the exhaust cam.
$2,300.00 for a new head because BMW is too paranoid to publish data on the N18's valvetronic system. Seriously?

Pssst...Hey BMW... Guess what? Nobody is going to steal your design. Reason: Everyone else already has their own variable valve technology.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Tommy Liveoak
Welcome to the R58 club you will love it!
I've only had it a short time, but I love it already. Got to come up with a name soon. I'm amazed at the handling characteristics and performance for an otherwise stock Cooper. It's actually more fun to drive than my old Gen 1.

Uh oh, did I just say that out loud? "Blasphemer! Burn him...burn him at the stake!"

Old 05-06-2015, 05:52 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Yeah the roofline seems to be missing something without the wing, or at least the spoiler deployed. Not sure yet on Tigger. Probably detune him a bit and sell him or possibly trade him in with my wife's car. She's been eyeing the Countryman S for a while now. She's already told me however, no tuning the Countryman. Maybe she won't notice a Stage 1 lol.
If it runs like mine or how we've talked. DE-TUNE that thing. Ain't no way,no how, no ut uh will anyone but a few select get my car set on full tilt. Least not no young kid. By the way, an audi with a 2.0 got his butt handed to him before I had a minor problem. Clean some clocks first tigger. . Including a Mitsubishi EVO. Hahahaha. Yup, that can be done to even with his down pipe and access port. Lololololol

Old 05-09-2015, 04:29 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Lou,

Could you summarize your thoughts on the build? Lessens learned? Would you do this again? What would you do differently? Etc.

The reason why I ask is that I'm looking at going with forged internals. I do have an automatic but my goal is not crazy power, but reliable power somewhere in the 250whp range. I'll never track the car, I just do short bursts of speed on the street. Almost always from a roll. (I am looking to go to the drag strip next week but just for grins).

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Lou,

Could you summarize your thoughts on the build? Lessens learned? Would you do this again? What would you do differently? Etc.

The reason why I ask is that I'm looking at going with forged internals. I do have an automatic but my goal is not crazy power, but reliable power somewhere in the 250whp range. I'll never track the car, I just do short bursts of speed on the street. Almost always from a roll. (I am looking to go to the drag strip next week but just for grins).

Thanks!
Yep I'd definitely do it again, and plan to do so with the new ride. Things I'd change hmm... If staying with 10:1 compression I'd go with Mahle Powerpak pistons. I've seen them hold 1.6bar with meth no problem. If dropping compression to 9.5:1 I'd have the CP skirts coated by Swain Tech to minimize piston slap at start up. For turbo's I'd stick with the E45R. I'll probably do the entire build myself next time, including the heads.

For your ride I'd recommend the Mahle pistons and JCW head gasket. The pistons can be changed by simply removing the head and oil pan. If low mileage, and the bore dimensions are good, you'd be fine just honing the bores with a glaze breaker. For the power levels your looking at the factory rods are plenty strong enough. However, the rods bolts need to be replaced with ARP. I'd also use the ARP stud kit when putting the head back on. The JCW turbo will get you to 250 but that's about it. For anything more I'd look at a K04 hybrid and port the head.

Last edited by Tigger2011; 05-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Is there a parts list you'd be willing to create for those of us looking to build a similar motor? DO you feel stock rods are good to 300hp? I plan to do my R56 JCW as soon as I can find a long block to start the process on.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:54 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Been following along for this whole process and been some good reading and was looking forward to your dyno numbers just to see what you ended up with. I know it's not all about the numbers but it helps to put it all into perspective for us reading along. Sad to hear the project has come to an end with the buying of another car which may end up with it's own project thread!!! I have to ask though, is the slight problems ( wanting a new head ) also a factor ( valve tick, piston slap which may not be too bad a thing for a race car that is going to be rebuilt every year. ) for getting another car along with wanting a stick shift?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Congrats , looks great. Nice find with the Recaro seats.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Anyone know how much the Recaro seats go for? I only had one chance to sit on one when my Mini dealer had not one but four GP2's on the lot about a years ago.

Also Tigger is there a weight difference between the hatchback vs coupe?

Quick Reply: Tigger 2.0