MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

Delivery Stories and Baby Pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery Stories and Baby Pix

Guess it's about time to start this thread up.

I don't have the car or even the charger yet . . . but I have a manual! And a sample lease!

My dealer at Irvine Mini is trying to get ahead of the curve. PM me and I'll send them to you - don't see any issues with sharing these pseudo-public docs - though I would note that the lease document is CA-specific.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Perusing the Manual

Here's what's listed in the "under the hood (actually, bonnet)" section:

1. V.I.N. number
2. 12 Volt Battery
3. Washer Fluid Reservoir

. . . . that's IT! This is going to take some getting used to . . .

. . . BTW does anyone else find it a little weird that there's a 12 V battery too? Seems a little redundant, but maybe it was easier than reconfiguring all the onboard electric equipment . . . and there's a paragraph that says not to leave the parking lamps on too long, as it may drain the 12V battery and not allow the motor to start . . . that's GOTTA be an uninintentional holdover . . .

. . . there's also some warnings about if the battery temp exceeds 120 degrees - which hopefully will be an extremely unusual circumstance - first the regen braking goes away, then the top speed drops to 10 mph! O.T.O.H. gas engines don't like very high ambient temps either, and don't degrade quite this gracefully . . .

Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectroBoy
. . . there's also some warnings about if the battery temp exceeds 120 degrees - which hopefully will be an extremely unusual circumstance - first the regen braking goes away, then the top speed drops to 10 mph! O.T.O.H. gas engines don't like very high ambient temps either, and don't degrade quite this gracefully . . .
Interiors of cars get up to 150+ degrees on a nice hot summer day. So will you have to let them cool off before you can get going?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM
soareyes
2nd Gear
This has been a concern of mine since I live in the desert. At work, the car will sit in an open parking lot all day so the interior will get very hot. I suspect the battery cooling system in the Mini E is programmed to operate when needed even if the car is parked and unattended. If thats the case, hopefully this won't drain the battery enough that I can't make it home!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
My understanding is the cooloing system is just fans, that shouldnt use too much energy even running all day. now if the Air Conditioner kicks in, that could make a big dent in the battery charge.
hope to see some Reports on Temperature vrs battery charge from you Stan

Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Jethro
1st Gear
Car is ready!

Just got the call that our car is ready to pick up. They wanted me to get it today but have to push it until tomorrow at 10am. More info to come. Can't wait!

http://electricminicooper.blogspot.com/

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Congratulations!

Dang, I'm jealous now. I thought there would have been dozens of deliveries this week after Peter's last Friday, but yours will be only the second that we know of.

Definitely let us know the delivery details after you get the car!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:24 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Awesome news Jethro! Congrats!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jethro
Just got the call that our car is ready to pick up. They wanted me to get it today but have to push it until tomorrow at 10am. More info to come. Can't wait!

Well????

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I stopped by Long Beach Mini on my way home from LAX today just to see how many Es they had on the lot. They had only one that was due to be delivered in a few hours. They expect them to keep trickling in slowly as they get prepped. Don't know if it was yours, Jethro- I think it was #140.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Jethro
1st Gear
Slight delay....getting car on Saturday

Delivery had to be rescheduled for Saturday at 10am due to paperwork problem with BMW. Keeping fingers crossed that we'll get car on Saturday.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Jethro
1st Gear
#140 has arrived!

It's finally here! We picked up #140 this morning at Long Beach Mini. Car had 17 miles on it. We put 5 miles on it before we had to depart for a family function with our little one. More to come over the next few days. Will update blog with photos and info on a regular basis going forward. Very excited to say the least! It was worth the wait!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Hey Jethro,

Great info on your blog regarding range, etc. Your results of 3 miles/ kwh are helpful in estimating how much electricity I think I may use. Also awesome that you have the TOU work completed- that seems like it is going to be a challenge for me.

Just a quick question regarding the actual delivery- any surprises in terms of upfront costs, DMV fees, etc? Also what is the situation with the HOV stickers- is BMW applying for them as the owner or is that something the lessees need to do?

Thanks!

- Scott

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Jethro
1st Gear
Hi Scott...the actual cost for drive off was $1647.00

This includes DMV fee, doc fees, first month's payment and a few small misc fees.

The second payment will be waived per the MINI E Newsletter a few weeks ago.

MINI has worked out the HOV sticker issue and you'll need to apply for them yourself once you get your plates. I was hoping to zip home and send in the form pronto but according to the application, you must wait. If I'm wrong on that please let me know.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Jethro,

Didn't you order a personalized plate? Could you assign it to your car now without waiting for the generic plate, and file the sticker request at the same time? That's what I thought I would try. I've never ordered plates before getting a car before so I don't know if it would work. You would need MINI to give you permission to assign the personalized plate with the DMV 'Statement of Facts' form.

- Scott

Last edited by GoDucks; 06-03-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
rjg7872
Neutral
So just got the word the cars are on their way from California and headed east. They should all be here late next week and I was told to expect delivery shortly thereafter. I cant wait...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
The MINI E's have arrived in NJ I got mine on Monday, #304. Morristown MINI got 5 yesterday and said they are expecting 15 to arrive today. So expect to be seeing them on the roads out east.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 AM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Congratulations Robert! Looks like the deliveries are moving right along on both coasts now.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for the call.....

Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Got the call

Will be picking my car up from Long Beach Mini later today. I will represent the West Coast in the 110v Club until all the charger work is done (SCE did a site visit today and will be out Monday morning to put in the meter housing)

Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Congratulations Scott! Do you know your number yet?

My city inspection went well yesterday, now just waiting for SCE to put the TOU meter into its housing. I had emailed MiniAssistance that I could wait on the 240V cable since I have a short commute, but I guess they just need to get them installed with whoever is ready.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
No, I didn't think to ask. I'll post later today with the details. I'm also going to try to get my plate assigned at DMV on the way home and will report on that too. I'll also try to get the contractor and the city to come in right after SCE and get the rest of the installation in and approved- assuming that there are still cables available.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
So you will have a car but no cable, and I have a cable but no car. I think I would rather be you!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Juiced
1st Gear
Number 224 is on the road!

Picked up my MINI this afternoon at Bob Smith MINI in Calabasas. Kirsten was super helpful with the orientation process. Drove 75 miles back to Santa Barbara in really awful stop and go Friday traffic and arrived home with a 25% charge. It's a little nerve racking watching the charge meter falling and rising with no hope of pulling over for a charge. I am sure we will get used to to it after a while. The MINI is a blast to drive. Time to break out the manual, there's a lot to learn!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Got the call too!

Juiced, that is good to hear you had plenty of 'juice' left after 75 miles. I have a similar drive home when I pick mine up on Monday.

I got the call this afternoon about 5pm that the car would be in tomorrow, but I've got other commitments so I'll have to wait till Monday. It will be a long weekend!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
#058, welcome to OC!

I picked my car up from Long Beach Mini today. Really fun to drive and the delivery process was simple. My MA explained that they cover the cars (per Todd's photos) because otherwise people want to sit in them, press their nose against the glass, etc (like I did to Todd's #140 )

Mine was delivered with about a 75% charge and 17 miles on the odometer. My dealer is supposed to get their wallbox over the weekend. Stan, if you haven't already I would call ahead and request that it be delivered with a full charge.

Turns out Long Beach Mini was originally allocated only 14 cars but eventually it was increased to 22. I was their 5th delivery, and the first person that didn't want the side graphics! And yet I ended up checking 'yes' on their checklist because i was told I could always change my mind and not take them.

On the DMV side, they were not able to assign the personalized plates right away because they need to do something to process the title transfer first. They said the best indication is that you receive any acknowledgement from them, such as a registration card or generic plates. They added that the title transfer is completed before that, but they didn't have any guideline as to how long it takes. So I'll be waiting a while to get the plates and the HOV sticker application in.

I brought my car down to about 25% after running a few errands and giving a few rides around the block and a test drive. The reaction from friends and family is mostly surprise that it doesn't look like some kind of science fair project, people really seemed impressed with it. It's blinking away in the garage getting its sloooow recharge right now. Can't wait to get it back on the road!

- Scott

(need to update my signature I think!)

Quick Reply: Delivery Stories and Baby Pix