Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain battery relocation r56 // meth kit space

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
battery relocation r56 // meth kit space

So winter is coming fast in northern wisconsin
so mini's going away for the winter
i was thinking for the winter project
about finely installing the meth kit

biggest problem is space right<>
was thinking about putting the battery
in the back like the r53
and put the meth tank and pump ware the battery is

Any one know if the r53 battery
harness
would work for the r56
i knew there's going to be some custom work along with it
but no big deal
just want to pick some peoples brain's

Or any better idea's on the install of the meth ket!
have all winter so no rush

The following users liked this post:
jetsr6 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:18 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBoost
So winter is coming fast in northern wisconsin
so mini's going away for the winter
i was thinking for the winter project
about finely installing the meth kit

biggest problem is space right
was thinking about putting the battery
in the back like the r53
and put the meth tank and pump ware the battery is

Any one know if the r53 battery
harness
would work for the r56
i knew there's going to be some custom work along with it
but no big deal
just want to pick some peoples brain's

Or any better idea's on the install of the meth ket!
have all winter so no rush

Take a look to aquamist one or two tank solution (2gal) easy fit leaving a lot of room.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:41 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
+1 on AquaMist --- go for the HFS-4 --- it's designed for the MCS. No messing with where to put it --- bolts nicely in the trunk, and hose / harness is long enough. His instructions are better than most, and well illustrated. My controller is mounted in the glove box --- a bit trickier to install there, but lots more convenient than any other place, at least for me.

1 gallon vs 2 gallon --- I go thru about one tank of WMI for each tank of gas, and my tank has the "anti-slosh" ping-pong (or swiffer) *****, so there's only about ¾ of a gallon capacity. Makes it easier to remember when to refill the WMI. However, if you do a lot of track time, a 2 gallon capacity might get you thru a whole day --- WMI mix goes pretty quick when you're really on the pedal.

My Manic tuner switched my jet size to 1.0 and the mix from 50 - 50 to 80 - 20. Jeff used to offer any 3 jets from a given range --- I chose the biggest 3 --- 0.8, 0.9, & 1.0. Given your mod list, I'd suggest the same sizes, and work with your tuner to pick the best one.

Whichever system you choose, have fun installing it.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:59 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
I was looking at the diagram on their website ! On there controller it says ecu! What do you have it connected to ?

Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
And would you be able to get a few photo of ever thing

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
And would you be able to get a few photo of ever thing
The first three pics in my "garage" show the tank, glovebox, and gauge (the one on top). Here's three more showing the Fast Acting Valve mounted in the battery compartment, a harness "loom" used to protect the wires and hose under the car (not furnished with the kit but highly recommended. I had to repair mine --- it's the harness with tape), and a shot of three wires going to the ECU.

Note the engine is not in the car and things aren't quite where they would normally be. Also, my pics don't show where the harness / hose goes through the chassis / dashboard. I used grommets (also not included in the kit) to keep stuff away from sharp edges. Both looms and grommets are readily available at most hardware stores. The size and quantity will depend on where you choose to route things. ECU wiring will be different if you decide to connect the "fail safe" feature --- mine isn't connected. All wire connectors are included with schematics, pics, and detailed descriptions --- hard to go wrong.

Attached Thumbnails battery relocation r56 // meth kit space-fav.jpg   battery relocation r56 // meth kit space-harness-loom.jpg   battery relocation r56 // meth kit space-ecu-wires.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Are you just runing it off vacuum then?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:29 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Are you just runing it off vacuum then?
Nope! It's running as designed and adjusted --- flowing just as boost starts. It can be adjusted to start flow almost anywhere in that range. Fail-safe is the only feature I'm not using, and that's because of my aftermarket turbo being manually controlled.

When it flows, how much it flows, and why it flows are all fully adjustable. If you haven't already seen the web site HFS-4 description, I suggest you read it, there's a forum too
http://howertonengineering.com
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/

Also, product support is awesome --- Jeff helped me recover from a bad batch of methanol that plugged up the system. And that was over three years ago --- been performing fault-free ever since.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Yeh' ill definitely have to do some reading !
What I'm really trying to figure out! Is how does the system knew when to inject the meth! Some kind of sensor ? The few other kits I was looking at was by a vacuum sensor!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:42 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
And I was wanting to do a Direct port injection !

Old 10-10-2016, 03:56 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Yeh' ill definitely have to do some reading !
What I'm really trying to figure out! Is how does the system knew when to inject the meth! Some kind of sensor ? The few other kits I was looking at was by a vacuum sensor!
This is why the system connects to the ECU. I don't recall which signals are tapped, but the system description should mention how it works. One of the adjustments selects between boost and some other parameter --- a variable adjustment, not a switch --- all described in the installation manual.

And I was wanting to do a Direct port injection !
If you want to tap into the intake manifold and mount jets, this has been done before. I remember reading about an install that did this. Maybe search the AquaMist forum, or email Jeff Howerton for the required hook-ups.

One dis-advantage to direct porting is you're by-passing the air inlet temp sensor --- the ECU wont compensate for the cooler intake. I don't know what the difference in performance will be. The recommended jet location is "a few to several inches" before this MAP / Temp sensor (not shown in my previous photos).

Old 10-10-2016, 06:18 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
This is why the system connects to the ECU. I don't recall which signals are tapped, but the system description should mention how it works. One of the adjustments selects between boost and some other parameter --- a variable adjustment, not a switch --- all described in the installation manual.

If you want to tap into the intake manifold and mount jets, this has been done before. I remember reading about an install that did this. Maybe search the AquaMist forum, or email Jeff Howerton for the required hook-ups.

One dis-advantage to direct porting is you're by-passing the air inlet temp sensor --- the ECU wont compensate for the cooler intake. I don't know what the difference in performance will be. The recommended jet location is "a few to several inches" before this MAP / Temp sensor (not shown in my previous photos).
The other parameter is Injector Duty Cycle. I left my dials as they were provided by Jeff, so dont know how will a different setup work, I will have to log data, but thats how it comes from Jeff.