Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Rods/pistons recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:58 PM
azbawood
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rods/pistons recommendations

Seriousky toying with the idea of just beefing up the bottom end and freshening things up since i bought the car with almost 60k anyway and i know i will always want more power. Looking for stock compression, and bore size. As close to drop in as possible and sonething that is not prone to that "ring land failure" i read so much about.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
A set of CP or Mahle Powerpak pistons and rods. I'm doing a motor now and need a set of rods but Pauter needs some orders before they will run a set. If you are interested in getting rods please let me know. With 2 orders I think they will start a run.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
azbawood
2nd Gear
Do the cp come with the swirl bowl, etc. Same as stock? I have found a couple sites that have them as low as 600 and some change..

Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
azbawood
2nd Gear
And what kind of figure would we be looking at for the pauters?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:36 PM
azbawood
2nd Gear
And both of these pustons have a good track record for not breaking ring lands?
Im also assuming you've already tried ordering from pauter? I see them available on pauter.com for about $1000

Last edited by azbawood; 03-06-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:44 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by azbawood
Do the cp come with the swirl bowl, etc. Same as stock? I have found a couple sites that have them as low as 600 and some change..
Take a look at my build "journal" --- the last couple pages. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...a-stuff-2.html You might have to scroll around a bit from this link to find the latest version.

My CP / Carrillo pkg is 10.5:1 CR, 77mm dia, and the pistons have the OEM dome configuration. Just be sure you change both rods and pistons, not pistons by themselves. Staying with OEM CR is "not advised" if you go for serious power, but I'm having great results so far.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Looking for folks wanting to buy Pauter rods soon.
They have no stock but will run them if we can get a few orders
They might even sell for 800 or so with a few pre-orders
LMK

Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 AM
azbawood
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Take a look at my build "journal" --- the last couple pages. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...a-stuff-2.html You might have to scroll around a bit from this link to find the latest version.

My CP / Carrillo pkg is 10.5:1 CR, 77mm dia, and the pistons have the OEM dome configuration. Just be sure you change both rods and pistons, not pistons by themselves. Staying with OEM CR is "not advised" if you go for serious power, but I'm having great results so far.
I was finally able to finish what i believe is your last update. That all sounds like quite a bit of work. My hat is off to you. I think i will be happy with about 280 if i can get there. My idea behind rods/pistons is mainly peace of mind. I also just bought an air compressor and media blast gun to do my walnut blasting...i bought the vehicle with almost 60k so i figure best way to be sure what kind of state it is in is to start ripping into it.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by azbawood
I was finally able to finish what i believe is your last update. That all sounds like quite a bit of work. My hat is off to you. I think i will be happy with about 280 if i can get there. My idea behind rods/pistons is mainly peace of mind. I also just bought an air compressor and media blast gun to do my walnut blasting...i bought the vehicle with almost 60k so i figure best way to be sure what kind of state it is in is to start ripping into it.
Note that I was running OEM bottom end with 282WHP for about 4 years. Lotsa TLC and faithful oil changes. Not trying to discourage you from re-building, or helping out with Indimanics quest for Pauter customers, just ensure you know what you're investing in --- peace-of-mind, not necessarily reliability.

"Ripping into it" can be a bunch of fun, also pricey with the special tools needed. Have fun ---

Old 03-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Interesting on your bottom end. How many miles and what kind of abuse> Its amazing how many varying testimonies one hears on these "forums" My motor with 108k was strong until turbo flange gasket blew out at track and super-heated everything incl #1 piston. I was impressed at its durability as it lasted 20k miles under 25 psi of boost driven very hard.
The only reliable source, IMO is empirical but one cannot experience everything for themselves.
I have heard from many sources the pistons cannot handle that much abuse (i.e. at the track) and OEM rods will and do fail. I remember seeing these sintered rods in the 90"s and thinking what garbage.
If going to rebuild, then do it right and costs cannot be an issue unless one is getting ripped off.
I'll find out about durability in the next 4 years and let you know. Haha.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:56 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
RMW (Revolution Motor Works) has a set of pistons and rods for the N14 R56.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
those are supertech parts from the look of it. They write their part number right on the rods. Only down side is they only offer 10:1 and 10.5:1 pistons. We like to use 9.5:1 CP pistons for added safety with high boost cars.

Positive note Supertech sells their parts for very reasonable prices if you ask kindly for a discount.

Had a friend who acquired a full set of their pistons and rods for the price of CP rods.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:26 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Has anyone have some experience and/or additional feedback on Supertech pistons and rods?
I spoke with them today. A little apprehensive.