MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

The hunt for May flowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 AM
speednut
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hunt for May flowers

Springtime came in March with a lot of rain here in the S.F. Bay Area. I had grand visions of a field covered with wild vivid California orange poppies and my MCS. So I motored and motered all over back country roads where I've seen poppies before, but I could only find a few small pockets of them; less than a few square feet. Now if you're looking for dry brush, we've got that in spades this time of year.

Found and checked a website that is updated weekly for wildflower sightings http://www.calphoto.com/wflower.htm (might be handy for others in the Bay Area), but it looked like the pickins' would be slim to fat chance.

However, time spend motoring enjoying our Minis is never time wasted. I did find some amazing scenery that I thought you all might enjoy. I appologize for the lack of a Mini in the photos and I've tried to compensate; hope you'll forgive me. On the last photo, the rear spoiler snuck into the photo on the bottom left if that makes you feel any more lenient. Hard to not brace the camera on something for a 1/8 sec shutter speed. All photos were taken just south of Amaden Valley in San Jose. They certainlly reveal just how much rain we have gotten this year.

Before I forget, a quick big thank you to the other photographers here for their very helpful advice regarding layer merging and masking from another thread. You have helped me to figure out how to do a quick digital 1.5 to 2 stop custom grad ND filter effect on several of these images in 10 minutes or less.

Cheers!
Dave

Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
coopchick
5th Gear
Great photos! Where did you take those pics?

Old 05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
hong
3rd Gear
too much rain ruined wild flowers, hopefully it does no harm to foliage. some of the photos look a bit bluish to me.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great pics! That first one even has some sort of sea monster!

Old 05-26-2006, 10:57 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Dave,
Great work with the masks. The last two You're forgiven for not having MINI content.

Dried out or not NorCal has so much great scenery. The BSSP drive had me wishing I could have stayed up there longer hang out and shoot more.

If you have more, post them up!

Dave

Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave
Dave,
Great work with the masks. The last two You're forgiven for not having MINI content.

Dried out or not NorCal has so much great scenery. The BSSP drive had me wishing I could have stayed up there longer hang out and shoot more.

If you have more, post them up!

Dave
That means you're going to have to come back up here and we can get together and go shooting!

Old 05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Definitely.

I have been talking to a friend about a Napa/Sonoma trip in July. If not then, then after MITM.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
Very awesome shots. We went from rain to summer here in the valley, no Spring. I could have submitted DEAD May flowers for the contest, but decided to go the same route you did. Enjoying the foliage didnt enter me into contests but allowed for similar shots!

Again, nice work!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
speednut
5th Gear
coopchick, these were taken in south San Jose, CA. Backroads in Almaden Valley.

Hong, I agree with you on the blue cast. I'm currently fighting the PS "save for web" function. Everything looks great in PS, but when the image is saved, I get a very blue cast on the image. Very noticible in the 2 up display. I just recalibrated my monitor today and no improvement. Using sRBG color space defaults right now in PC. I've been reading all over the web about color management, but can't find the fix. However, my prints look exactly like the photo in PS. Just wish I could get the jpg files to look the same. :-( Let me know if you have any ideas.

Dave, NorCal welcomes you anytime. The north bay is always very scenic and I think you'd have a blast there doing photos. Let me know if you're needing any suggestions for photo sites.

LizzyBobio That first one even has some sort of sea monster!
As much fun as I could have spreading rumors of monsters of the deep in Almaden, I'll have to willing admit it 'twas just two harmless duckies. hee-hee, sorry it was so benign!

Itsdchz, please do share some of your flower hunting shots. It would be nice to see some of other people's discoveries here.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
I wish I were there and not in DC! Great Pics. My bro lives just over the hill from there in Santa Cruz! I love that area!

Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 AM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Nice scenery there Dave.
I was just up in Napa for an outdoor wedding last Sunday. It got rained on profusely. They made the best of it though.

-Juan

Old 05-27-2006, 06:02 PM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
May flowers NH style

These "May flowers" are growing where my lawn should be :-)

Not the best shot...can anyone identify what they are called? I've just always called them may flowers.

The hunt for May flowers-lawn_flowers_web.jpg

Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 AM
speednut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blacknblue
Nice scenery there Dave.
I was just up in Napa for an outdoor wedding last Sunday. It got rained on profusely. They made the best of it though.
Thanks Juan,
That's the same day these photos were taken. Just waited for a break in the afternoon/late evening rain to snap a few quick shots.

Glad to hear the wedding went well all considered.
Cheers!