MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Show me your NIGHT shots!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonnysideup
It's funny you say this because I've seen a picture very similar to yours (if not yours) on flickr which I got the idea from. I wanted a nice high shot but instead of a still photo, I wanted some sort of movement.

Soooooo.. I had my DSLR on my tripod with a remote hooked up to it. I opened the hatch up on my car and with a many many yards of rope, I tied down my tripod to hatch. I had two legs in front with the other leg toward the back and I had the camera aimed down a bit. From there, I just set up my remote to take ten 30 second photos as I drove around my block for five mins, lol. THANKFULLY there are no pot holes on my street and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood where I could drive around the block at 10mph with out it seem like I was scoping out any one, haha.

some of the data about the photo: 7D, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Manfrotto tripod (I wouldn't trust my cheaper tripod up there, plus this had nice rubber feet to it, haha), wired remote. 30 second exposure at f/11 at ISO 100.
Well, no flickr account for me, but I got the idea somewhere else, too. Maybe the same place.

I read this late last night and thought I was delirious... I never imagined that you were moving to take that shot. I kinda thought you just found an interesting garage somewhere. Plus, it didn’t look there was any room left on the car to put a tripod. Little did I know that your imagination is far superior to mine.

Kudos to you for strapping a tripod to the boot and driving WHILE IT WAS OPEN!!! How on earth did you get the hatch to NOT bounce as you drove.

BTW - that photo is 10X better now that we know the story!

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 04-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Another shot from the other night...

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 02-03-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just took my first night shot of my new 08 LiB R52

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevcyn/7082044757/http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevcyn/7082044757/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/kevcyn/, on Flickr

Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ke4sfq
Just took my first night shot of my new 08 LiB R52

MINI at the Marina by KE4SFQ, on Flickr

Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
KE4SFQ - love that shot. I'm guessing that you're using a starburst filter to get the headlights to have that effect? I'm also curious about ISO and shutter/aperture settings. Headlights always seem to just blast out the whole bonnet end for me, but I have been shooting in darker situations.

Your shots are always very good - crisp and clear. I'm guessing you may have some very fast lenses, too? I'm looking to upgrade from my kit lens soon, but am taking my time - it's hard paying for 2 obsessions.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
KE4SFQ - love that shot. I'm guessing that you're using a starburst filter to get the headlights to have that effect? I'm also curious about ISO and shutter/aperture settings. Headlights always seem to just blast out the whole bonnet end for me, but I have been shooting in darker situations.

Your shots are always very good - crisp and clear. I'm guessing you may have some very fast lenses, too? I'm looking to upgrade from my kit lens soon, but am taking my time - it's hard paying for 2 obsessions.
No filter, most lenses will do that on their own under the right conditions. I had it in shutter priority and set it to 8 seconds. It chose an aperture of 29. Would have looked better more around f/16 probably but I wasn't paying attention. Low aperture and long shutter at night will give you that effect on a lot of lenses. But you MUST use a tripod. I forgot mine so it was sitting on a curb across the street!

Yea that was almost too dark for me too. If I had shot it about 10 minutes earlier, probably would have been better. Dusk shots are tricky getting the timing right!

I do have a few fast lenses for day and handheld stuff but most of my night shots are with my old slow Sigma 28-90 kit lens. My favorite is long shutter shots at dusk/dawn.

I know WAY too much about what you mean about two hobbies!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ke4sfq
No filter, most lenses will do that on their own under the right conditions. I had it in shutter priority and set it to 8 seconds. It chose an aperture of 29.
I knew I would learn something if I asked. I have been setting mine on "no flash" which may essentially accomplish the same thing, but I had never used the "thumb dial" on my D3000 until now. I was able to essentially manipulate the shutter speed under low light down here in my basement and see the shutter speed change. Very cool - thanks for the tip!

The shutter was probably open for a good 20 seconds on this shot - but under "no flash" it never displayed it...

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 02-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 AM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
I knew I would learn something if I asked. I have been setting mine on "no flash" which may essentially accomplish the same thing, but I had never used the "thumb dial" on my D3000 until now. I was able to essentially manipulate the shutter speed under low light down here in my basement and see the shutter speed change. Very cool - thanks for the tip!

The shutter was probably open for a good 20 seconds on this shot - but under "no flash" it never displayed it...
Anytime! I love long shutter shots. That's about all I take anymore.

Picture looks good. Too bad that train wasn't moving or it would have made a really cool effect!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Birdman68
1st Gear
Show me your NIGHT shots!-pb221502.jpg

Show me your NIGHT shots!-pb221471.jpg

Show me your NIGHT shots!-pb221473.jpg

I love taking night photos, here are a few of mine. Great thread!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 AM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Couldn't even wait 'til morning...

Somehow I missed these of the train moving on here. Awesome!!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Soooooo.. I had my DSLR on my tripod with a remote hooked up to it. I opened the hatch up on my car and with a many many yards of rope, I tied down my tripod to hatch. I had two legs in front with the other leg toward the back and I had the camera aimed down a bit. From there, I just set up my remote to take ten 30 second photos as I drove around my block for five mins, lol. THANKFULLY there are no pot holes on my street and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood where I could drive around the block at 10mph with out it seem like I was scoping out any one, haha.

some of the data about the photo: 7D, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Manfrotto tripod (I wouldn't trust my cheaper tripod up there, plus this had nice rubber feet to it, haha), wired remote. 30 second exposure at f/11 at ISO 100.
It's like a rig shot minus the painstaking work of cloning out the rig awesome job

I don't think I have any night shots of my Mini yet (maybe I should get my butt out there), but I do have one of my wife's Clubman and some of an awesome blue R53 on white RS's that used to come to our old weekly euro gtg. I apologize in advance, they're old photos that were shot while I was still learning, I swear I'm much better now

AlbieCrazy might know this location

DSC_0740 by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr

this is one of the car's that really made me want a Mini

Sick Mini done right by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr

Mini Slammed on BBS RS by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman68
I love taking night photos, here are a few of mine. Great thread!
How do you get that camera tightened down for those "out the windshield shots"? I've seen those kinds of shots before and always wondered....

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx
It's like a rig shot minus the painstaking work of cloning out the rig awesome job

I don't think I have any night shots of my Mini yet (maybe I should get my butt out there), but I do have one of my wife's Clubman and some of an awesome blue R53 on white RS's that used to come to our old weekly euro gtg. I apologize in advance, they're old photos that were shot while I was still learning, I swear I'm much better now

AlbieCrazy might know this location

DSC_0740 by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr

this is one of the car's that really made me want a Mini

Mini Slammed on BBS RS by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr
I've never been to that place in Yaphank... Hardly been to Yaphank at all, actually. That shot is perfection - the lighting is ideal.

Does that blue MINI still exist? Got to get him to come to MTTP 4 if he's still around.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Birdman68
1st Gear
How do you get that camera tightened down for those "out the windshield shots"? I've seen those kinds of shots before and always wondered....
All I did was use a tripod,I put one leg behind the drivers seat, one behind the passenger seat and the 3rd about half extended in between the two back seats where the seat belts click in. It did a pretty good job keeping it snug.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM
sonnysideup
1st Gear
Few more.. enjoy

I cant wait for the Dragon

Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Birdman68
1st Gear
Few more.. enjoy

Love that last picture, great colors!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
I've never been to that place in Yaphank... Hardly been to Yaphank at all, actually. That shot is perfection - the lighting is ideal.

Does that blue MINI still exist? Got to get him to come to MTTP 4 if he's still around.
I don't believe the blue Mini exists anymore from what I've read it sounds like it has been retired. I didn't really know the guy very well at all, he just happened to come out to a few gtg's and a couple local shows, I knew he was from Huntington but that was about it, definitely loved that car.

The place in Yaphank is really cool, it's right off the LIE exit 67 I think, just north of the expwy. You're not "supposed to" go in with the car but there's a pretty easy way to get around their gate

Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Few more.. enjoy

Love these 2. I can't wait for you to get BACK from the Dragon!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
xstart - too bad about the blue MINI...

Another. Too bad just about every light is out up on that bridge...

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 02-02-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM
kenshin
2nd Gear
and where were you albie?

I'll have to come out East one day with my gear...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
At the Ponquogue Bridge. Great shot, kenshin. Where were YOU!

I went out tonight looking for a shot for the monthly photo contest here on NAM. The theme is "Flying". The idea was a night shot with this mammoth American Flag flapping in the breeze. I think it would have come out pretty cool, but not only was there no wind, but the flag is still not up the flagpole. They took it down for the last 2 days due to some windy conditions.

So I took this for the heck of it.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM
kenshin
2nd Gear
My car was all the way at the end! You're going crazy with the night shots.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenshin
My car was all the way at the end! You're going crazy with the night shots.
Yeah, it’s kind of a problem. And for every one I’ve posted I have 10 others.

And while it’s nice to know where AngryPanda was in that shot, I really wanted to know where the SHOT was taken.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM
peterjackson
Neutral
First shot with the DSLR - just out in front of the house with a little editing.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 PM
BoostCzaR53
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by G33KGUY
Taken this past March while visiting family in Texas.

wow I love this thing!

Quick Reply: Show me your NIGHT shots!